• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Leave Airtran for United??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A lot of articles I have read lately seem to suggest that the domestic market is about tapped out. The large carriers are making most of their money flying overseas now a days. So, even though the domestic LCC seems like the safe bet today, you never know. Plus, if I had to bet on a winner in the LCC domestic competition, it wouldn't be Air Tran. No offense.

I think you also have to ask yourself if you want to fly domestic the rest of your life. Flying a 747-400 to Japan would be pretty sweet - even as a copilot. Yes, I have shiny jet syndrome.

Final advice: Who the hell knows? If I could predict the future, I'd win the World Series of Poker and retire.

Here is an excerpt from Boyd:
[FONT=Tahoma, Ariel, Lucida]The Boyd Group has noted that Southwest will be the industry's most dangerous airline competitor in the coming 18 months. It's now coming to pass.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Ariel, Lucida]Not because of the value of its traditional operational model, which lightweight analysts consistently mischaracterize with terms like "regional" or "short haul" or their favorite, "point to point," - all of which are inaccurate - but because Southwest understands the weaknesses in that traditional model.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Ariel, Lucida]They've moved to position themselves as an airline perfect for business travelers. Not that they ever eschewed such traffic (take a gander at the folks in line at Love Field on Monday mornings) but now they're re-structuring and re-positioning to claw that sector away from other airlines with new advertising, new fare products and a revised boarding system that's still a long way from seat selection, but is no longer as reminiscent of lunchtime at the feed lot.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Ariel, Lucida]More To Come. This is just the first in what will be a continuing major product and route shift at Southwest. The one trend that this continues to enforce is that WN must concentrate on large, higher-yield markets. Small and mid-size markets: Please tumble to the fact that Southwest isn't coming to town. Save that money and cancel the silly MIDT study. Other LCCs: Do plan on Southwest going after your hide.[/FONT]

Interesting question. I used the stats from Airline Pilot Central and came up with the following

Assumptions:
25 years of flying remaining

Earn minimum guarantee
United 65 hours, Air Tran 70 hours

Air Tran: 3 years as FO, then Upgrade
United: 5 years 737 FO, 5 years 75/76 FO, 5 years A320 CA, 5 Years 75/76, 5 Years 777 CA

Air Tran Earnings: $2,809,800
United Earnings: 2,468,700

I realize this is oversimplified, but an apples to apples comparison shows you make more $ at Air Tran.

Now consider that Air Tran is growing, United is not.
You are also more likely to become much more senior at Air Tran than you evel will at United, allowing for better QOL.

If it were me, I think I'd stay at Air Tran.

Don't forget rigs and retirement contributions.

Also, negotiation power....

Don't forget rigs and retirement contributions.

Also, negotiation power....
I'm pretty sure that our rigs and work rules exceed UAL's, even after the recent LOA. UAL does have the advantage with reserve work rules, but I think that's about it. Our B-fund is higher, but UAL also has a C-fund. In the end, it all pretty much balances out, especially when you figure in that upgrade here is about half of what it will be for a newhire at UAL. UAL has the widebody international flying for those that care about such things, so that's something else to consider. Basically, the money will probably end up being a wash, even including work rules and retirement, so you should probably make your decision based on something other than money. Domiciles, equipment, job security, etc... are all things to consider. If I was a regional guy and had a job offer from each of them, I'd probably take UAL, but as someone already with an AAI number, I wouldn't give it up.

I'm sure that flying the heavy Iron around the world and making good money doing it is something not much people care about;)
I'd rather fly my fancied up -9 from here to CLT. Twelve hours in an airplane? No thanks. But to each his own.

I'm pretty sure that our rigs and work rules exceed UAL's, even after the recent LOA. UAL does have the advantage with reserve work rules, but I think that's about it. Our B-fund is higher, but UAL also has a C-fund. In the end, it all pretty much balances out, especially when you figure in that upgrade here is about half of what it will be for a newhire at UAL. UAL has the widebody international flying for those that care about such things, so that's something else to consider. Basically, the money will probably end up being a wash, even including work rules and retirement, so you should probably make your decision based on something other than money. Domiciles, equipment, job security, etc... are all things to consider. If I was a regional guy and had a job offer from each of them, I'd probably take UAL, but as someone already with an AAI number, I wouldn't give it up.

You sound like your set on the pay rates!

12 hours with a nice long break in a bunk. 1 leg. several 4 course meals served with a multiday layover at a 5 star hotel at the other end. Fly back and spend more days off per month with your family or whatever doing what you want because your trips are more productive allowing you to only have to go to work 3-4 times a month. You are right though, to each his/her own.

IAHERJ

12 hours with a nice long break in a bunk. 1 leg. several 4 course meals served with a multiday layover at a 5 star hotel at the other end. Fly back and spend more days off per month with your family or whatever doing what you want because your trips are more productive allowing you to only have to go to work 3-4 times a month. You are right though, to each his/her own.

IAHERJ
If, Thats a big IF you are senior enough to hold that schedule as a captain then you have it pretty good. 95% don't

By the way what's the time to hold that at CAL?
my guess is 20plus.

You have to admit, only a small percentage of airline pilots ever get that cush of a schedule...

I imagine that most CAL guys are doing the same domestic stuff we are with the same schedule and layovers.

Would be nice to have the ability to do that later on, but I'd imagine living in your base (as PCL does) would be worth its weight in gold...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back