• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Leave AirTran for CAL?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would not want to be on the CAL list when they merge with United.

Wait until the fall when UAL starts hiring again and try to get on with them instead. That way, when they staple the majority of the CAL pilots to the UAL list, you will be very senior pretty quickly.

Just be sure to get on the UAL list, instead of the CAL list.

That's my plan anyways. It will be fun to be senior to all the flowbacks and PIGs.

Good luck with your date of hire and career expectations with UAL.

Right now with your proposed TA and what your management wants you to make, I'd go to CAL no question about it. You'll make a little less your first year but you'll make it up fairly quickly. Even with the age 65 rule in place, you'll still upgrade in a reasonable time frame. With all things being equal, I'd venture to say that in the span of your career you'll come out on top financially with CAL.

Wait until the fall when UAL starts hiring again and try to get on with them instead. That way, when they staple the majority of the CAL pilots to the UAL list, you will be very senior pretty quickly.

Just be sure to get on the UAL list, instead of the CAL list.

That's my plan anyways. It will be fun to be senior to all the flowbacks and PIGs.

Pocono, you're a freakin' idiot.

Outside looking in---but from the perspective of an interview coach who talked to a LOT of guys who made a bad move before 9/11....

When 9/11 happened, CAL furloughed 20% of the workforce. It took several years for those guys to get back.

Airtran (current issues aside), furloughed nobody.

If you use the extra time you have now to pick up extra trips, work on a side business, etc I think you could probably more than make the difference up in what you'd make if your timing worked perfectly (hmmmm) and you went to CAL. Now--compare being at captain at AT...getting more senior all the time...and being stuck at CAL if things freeze up. Could you handle that?

Obviously--if home is Houston, Newark, or Cleveland....well...that's a bit different.

Good luck in any case...

CAL makes it tough to fly for them. They are not even a thought for me due to first year pay, medical, etc.

I am a professional and I am over paying my dues.

It seems like the last few classes had some Air Tran people in it. Obviously some people are making the jump. However, I don't how much seniority they had at Air Tran.

How do you guys feel the merger with Midwest will go? Any cause for concern there?

Outside looking in---but from the perspective of an interview coach who talked to a LOT of guys who made a bad move before 9/11....

When 9/11 happened, CAL furloughed 20% of the workforce. It took several years for those guys to get back.

Airtran (current issues aside), furloughed nobody.

If you use the extra time you have now to pick up extra trips, work on a side business, etc I think you could probably more than make the difference up in what you'd make if your timing worked perfectly (hmmmm) and you went to CAL. Now--compare being at captain at AT...getting more senior all the time...and being stuck at CAL if things freeze up. Could you handle that?

Obviously--if home is Houston, Newark, or Cleveland....well...that's a bit different.

Good luck in any case...
Well-said.

If you're close to being a CA or already a CA, I don't think I'd do it... Not with the roller-coaster that is the aviation industry and already that far into the CAL hiring cycle unless you live in those domiciles.

If you're a 1st or 2nd year F/O here and you want to fly heavy metal international? I think it's even money on which would be an eventual better choice...

Latest resources

Back