• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Leave AirTran for CAL?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
your focus should be your immediate family concerns. CAL will not give you the short-term security that you need for medical purposes. i'd say CAL is a decent place for you, but the call came at the wrong time. however, they may be able to adjust your interview/class to your needs. call them and see what you can do. if they don't understand, then you probably don't wanna work there. i've found CAL to be very accomodating to family needs, but i'm not on probation either.

i'd suggest pursuing places that can offer you more as a newhire since that is of immediate concern. SWA, FEDEX, DAL etc offer nice first year pay and medical from day one.

it bothers me that this is part of your consideration. actually ASHAMED is the proper word. there's no reason whatsoever for CAL not to offer day one medical benefits for our pilots. look for changes in the near future to this policy.

i can only hope that we start caring about day one employees as much as we do 30 yr employees sometime soon. it's a troubled corporate policy that deserves maximum attention.

best of luck to you and your family.

All good points up to now. I will throw what I know into the mix for your consideration.

A good friend of mine left AT about a year ago for CAL. He had not been there as long as you had, but he was a lineholder on the 73, had a decent commute (as commutes go), and was making livable wages and had insurance. He has 3 small kids, and his wife does not work. He could not be more happy with his decision to go to CAL. They got a home equity loan to make the first year pay work and afford COBRA. He commutes now via car so his flexibility in trips is greatly improved over what he could do at AT. His overall impression of AT's culture was not particularly good, but he did enjoy the crews he worked with. He says it is apples to oranges comparing the two.

I think it all boils down to what you want, and where you want to live. My only advice is if you want CAL (and I am assuming you do since you bothered to apply, etc.) don't let a short-term problem (no insurance, low first year pay, new baby (which is awesome btw-you're going to love being a Dad, congrats!)) keep you from your goal/dreams. If you can be happy at AT forever, great. Either way I would go to the CAL interview, if you decide it is the right thing for you and your family, I would take the first available class. My buddy with three kids has made it work, I would bet you could too. Best of luck to you and Happy Father's Day!

When is CAL going to merge with United? That sure will be fun for CAL pilots if it happens. Gotta take that into consideration.

Why does everybody always think the CAL pilots will get a raw deal in a Merger? I have no ill will towards UAL but who has A/C on Order, who is making money? By no means do I expect a wind fall or even a better deal then UAL guys, but I do expect a fair deal for both sides.

Now for those who will say "look at the USAir/AWA deal" IMHO it is apples and Oranges. CAL and UAL both have Widebodies and large international network, both CAL and UAL bring alot to the table.

One thing is for sure if anyone will get a bad deal if we merge it will the employees of both companies.

woops...tens of millions and then CAL mgmt will run the whole show. My guess were about 2 years away from the whole thing...and yes the employees always get screwed

I know of an AirTran pilot that just finished ground school. Had about two years at AirTran.

It looks like there are a couple of guys that have come over. I will say the flying here is excellent. There are many options when it comes to flight destinations and equipment.

Good luck with your choice

Not being smart...but what is the big draw to CAL?...I guess if you are 33 or younger it may be a good deal...ie international flying.... really just curious.....I remember when everyone thought CAL was the worst....??? What gives ?? I know at AAI MCO sucks...but our CPO is very cordial and 99 percent of our line pilots are regular guys just chillin and putting in their time... Days off at AAI are typical narrow body schedules.... 15 days off at 82 hrs credit... Is CAL that much different ? Just curious.

Sorry..I don't get the whole send me to Guam or Serwark thing..... Not good to be an airline gypsy..

Not being smart......but our CPO is very cordial and 99 percent of our line pilots are regular guys just chillin and putting in their time...

No, you're not being smart. Regular guys just chillin and putting in time? Sounds like fun.

Not being smart...but what is the big draw to CAL?...I guess if you are 33 or younger it may be a good deal...ie international flying.... really just curious.....I remember when everyone thought CAL was the worst....??? What gives ?? I know at AAI MCO sucks...but our CPO is very cordial and 99 percent of our line pilots are regular guys just chillin and putting in their time... Days off at AAI are typical narrow body schedules.... 15 days off at 82 hrs credit... Is CAL that much different ? Just curious.

Sorry..I don't get the whole send me to Guam or Serwark thing..... Not good to be an airline gypsy..

Lot’s of variety with good movement. I have been here only two years and will be very close to holding Capt. on the next bid. I can either hold out as a 737 F/O and have a good schedule, possibly bid Capt., Bid 75/76 and see Europe, or Bid 77/78 and fly the big A/C.
While Cal does have its problems; First year pay, Bases, 83-85 hires. It is somewhat stable, this week anyway, with decent MGT.

Latest resources

Back