• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Leave AirTran for CAL?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sorry, but wehn you gotz a tampon wedged all up yer nostrill an stuff, sometimez its jus embarassin, like wehn Ty Guy's new babe was like really a dude and stuff.

The jury is still out on that one, so don't be so harsh. She could have just been a big Midwest girl. . . . . . . ;)

Incidentally, I only fly 2-3 legs a day and get 16-17 days off as a relatively junior guy here at AAI. The Quality Of Life ain't bad... hope the T.A. dies so it can stay this way until we get a better deal.

You must be a morning guy, 3 is usually the min for afternoon skeds. Very good work on the TA play-by-play on the other thread. If it's not voted down by 90% or higher, I'll be VERY disappointed!

To the thread starter, as I'm too lazy to go back and see the name, I've been here 3 yrs. also. Also looking at this next upgrade. Very tough choice. Personally, I'd love to fly the big jets and go accross the pond, but I'm 40ish, and will ride this crazy trip out at FL. If you're younger, have funds to back the small first year pay (esp. with a kid on the way), I'd jump! Best of luck on the decision!

The jury is still out on that one, so don't be so harsh. She could have just been a big Midwest girl. . . . . . . ;)

Duuude, wahtevver helps yoo sleep at night, but duuude, we jus gotszta git a crashpad up in Madison, Wisc, cuz I be hearin dem hunnies dig Trannie pilots!

AWWWW YEAHHHHHH!!!

Ty Guy, didsya evver pick yer nose whyle postin stuff on flightinfo? Duude, just got a boogie on da keepad! It aint a gushher, so dat's goood.

Go to CAL

If you have a 5-digit employee number, I think you should go to CAL.

If you have a 6-digit employee number, I hope you'll stay at AirTran.

I think the vote on the TA as well as the integration of the senioity list (if/when Midwest happens) will really open your eyes to what our future will be.

I still think that we're poised to be a great company with a very good contract that still keeps us at a cost advantage. The pilots here really want to do a great job. My feeling is that many of us our deeply hurt by this TA, because it fails to reward the pilot group for what we do on a daily basis, above and beyond the contract at times, to make this thing work.

Call me gullible and naive, but I thought that the company would be smart to recognize that in the form of this TA. Call me a fool, but I have really high hopes for the corporate culture here, especially in anticipation of Bob F. running the show.

To say we live in interesting times is a gross understatement, but I know I was expecting the TA to look alot different than the product we're seeing now.

Don't give up on this place yet. I think the vote will send you a clear message about how much (or how little) the pilot group cares.

airtran has about 12-18 age 60 retirements per year the next 5 yrs. Continental has a couple of thousand age 60 retirements the next 5 yrs.time frame. After the age 60 rule go's out the window , Continental will probably be the MOST affected airline out there. try adding 5 years to your upgrade. I'd rather take a 3-4 yr captain slot to being a fo for 6-8yrs. Its all about the money not the piece of tin your sitting in.

All that means is that the stagnation will take 5 years longer to hit AirTran.....but it will hit. But hey, I guess as long as you get yours....:rolleyes:

Just got a call today for a CAL interview next month. Been at FL for 3 years now and upgrade hopefully is around the corner. I'm trying not to get blinded by my big jet syndrom and make a cold rational decision what to do should the interview go my way. Oh yeah, just found out my wife and I are expecting our first so we'll be down to just one income, which as I understand it is pretty low first year at CAL.

If you had this decision 12-24 months ago, I would say move. Now not so sure.

It will cost you. Slowdown in airplanes at CAL. Could be bad part of the cycle. Many a pilot made the wrong call in 1999-2001 when they moved around. One income makes it even more critical. It will take you at least 8-10 years to make up the income you lose in this move. If nothing changes...

...And something always changes. Age 65 flying. Growth hiccup at CAL or Airtran.

Tough, tough choice. I say stay. I have a friend who turned down a CAL interview in the hopes of getting an Airtran interview (12 months ago). He is now at Airtran. Don't get disheartened by contract negotiations. If you don't have a pilot group (or any other group) threatening to burn the place down, it is a good thing long term.

Being in the top half of a seniority list as a Captain makes this job a different animal. It is no small thing. I would place more value on your upcoming upgrade. The next downturn in this industry will prove my point.

If you feel the LCC thing is under too much pressure, I would get lots of qualified advice on that subject. And if you still want to move...go ahead.

Not a small consideration--Gracefully turning down the interview at CAL may preserve that opportunity for a later time.

Last edited:
I would not want to be on the CAL list when they merge with United.

Wait until the fall when UAL starts hiring again and try to get on with them instead. That way, when they staple the majority of the CAL pilots to the UAL list, you will be very senior pretty quickly.

Just be sure to get on the UAL list, instead of the CAL list.

That's my plan anyways. It will be fun to be senior to all the flowbacks and PIGs.

Latest resources

Back