• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Leave AirTran for CAL?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Intl and wide body is not all that--TRUST ME!!

It is very expensive to go and do all the things you want to do INTL. And for 30, 50, 60 k you will not be doing anything....

I would STAY !!!!

One attack and YOU just lost 110k a year and the 30-70K at CAL......

I have to completely scoff everything you just said. Your numbers are in the street. I don't care which way you go, but to get FACTUAL data on pay rates, here are the payscales straight from airlinepilotcentral.com:

CAL widebody F/O @ 5 years: 105/hr
Airtran F/O @ 5 years: 72/hr

CAL widebody captain @ 10 yrs: 183/hr
Airtran captain @ 10 yrs: 144/hr

And on a sidenote, CAL's contract is up for re-negotiation next year and it's going to be pretty nice (maybe not quite to FDX/UPS standards, but I'd imagine pretty close to it). Also, the hiring is going on like gangbusters at CAL and there are 92 aircraft on order with options from Boeing...25 787's and a plethora of NG 737's. Food for thought...

Scrappy...

If he were starting tomorrrow, you might be right...but he's not. Here is his math:

Year 1 at CAL verses year 4 captain at AT...take a look at these numbers:
Start points:
CAL Year 1 Airtran 4 captain

30 Newhire 120
62 NB FO 124
73 NB FO 127
105 WB FO 132
115 WB FO 137
138 NB C 144
140 NB C 147
142 NB C 153
182 WB C 153
184 WB C 153

So...what I see a 90 k pay cut year 1, a 60 k pay cut year 2, and a 50 k pay cut year three. IF the upgrades continue....with age 60 or a downturn int he economy who knows...he has to get to his 8th year to break even and start making 30k a year more to make up for a LOT of losses early. Also--it will be learning new airline stuff, being junior again, etc verses sitting tight where you already know the lay of the land. Again--nothing wrong with jumping--but this guy is not comparing where he starts from--he's backing up and starting over. That is a huge difference.

Last edited:
here are the payscales straight from airlinepilotcentral.com:

CAL widebody F/O @ 5 years: 105/hr
Airtran F/O @ 5 years: 72/hr

CAL widebody captain @ 10 yrs: 183/hr
Airtran captain @ 10 yrs: 144/hr

Yes, but you won't be an FO at 5 years at AirTran. Instead, you'll be a CA making $120/hr, and that's with the current contract. With age-65 coming (doesn't really affect us, but affects CAL retirements quite a bit), I'd imagine that upgrade at CAL will run 7-8 years for a newhire, and that's assuming no furloughs between now and then (highly unlikely).

So, the real comparison for the next 10 years between the two would look something like this: (based on current rates for both companies, 88 hrs/mo)

Year CAL AirTran

1 31,680 45,408
2 65,472 59,136
3 77,088 64,416
4 100,320 69,696
5 110,880 126,720
6 120,384 130,944
7 123,522 134,112
8 146,784 139,392
9 147,840 144,672
10 149,952 152,064

Tot 1,073,922 1,066,560

So, really no advantage. If you factor in a furlough somewhere in the mix, then it's basically impossible to make up the lost income you would have had at AirTran. For someone that already has 3 years here, I just can't see how it would ever make financial sense to leave for a legacy. The legacy rates would have to shoot through the roof to make it worthwhile financially. Now, if you just can't live with yourself if you don't fly a widebody, then go for it. Otherwise, it just doesn't make sense.

Also, the hiring is going on like gangbusters at CAL
True, but there have already been over 1200 pilots hired at CAL in front of the newhires. Any merger or economic downturn could mean a furlough for several years. There's a big difference between getting hired at a legacy at the beginning of the cycle and getting hired after 1200 other guys.

I'd imagine that upgrade at CAL will run 7-8 years for a newhire, and that's assuming no furloughs between now and then (highly unlikely).

Why is it highly unlikely that there won't be furloughs at CAL in the next 7-8 years. It's the domestic demand that's slowing down not the international.

There could be furloughs at CAL but AirTran could be bought or merged too and that could cause furloughs. Who knows what might happen.

Why is it highly unlikely that there won't be furloughs at CAL in the next 7-8 years. It's the domestic demand that's slowing down not the international.

Historically, if you don't get in on the very front of the hiring wave, then you're almost certain to get furloughed. This isn't just true of CAL, but of any legacy carrier. If there is another terrorist incident or a large economic downturn, then CAL and the rest of the legacies will probably have to defer deliveries and park airplanes. Has everyone forgotten what we just went through? The same thing has happened for different reasons every decade, even back during the days of regulation. Yes, a newhire at AirTran faces the same risks, but the original poster in this thread already has 3 years under his belt at AirTran. He's basically furlough-proof at this point. To give that up to go to the bottom of another list is extremely risky.

Scrappy...

If he were starting tomorrrow, you might be right...but he's not. Here is his math:

Year 1 at CAL verses year 4 captain at AT...take a look at these numbers:
Start points:
CAL Year 1 Airtran 4 captain

30 Newhire 120
62 NB FO 124
73 NB FO 127
105 WB FO 132
115 WB FO 137
138 NB C 144
140 NB C 147
142 NB C 153
182 WB C 153
184 WB C 153

So...what I see a 90 k pay cut year 1, a 60 k pay cut year 2, and a 50 k pay cut year three. IF the upgrades continue....with age 60 or a downturn int he economy who knows...he has to get to his 8th year to break even and start making 30k a year more to make up for a LOT of losses early. Also--it will be learning new airline stuff, being junior again, etc verses sitting tight where you already know the lay of the land. Again--nothing wrong with jumping--but this guy is not comparing where he starts from--he's backing up and starting over. That is a huge difference.

Albie - very good point about the starting out initially that I missed. I stand corrected!

My feeling is that many of us our deeply hurt by this TA, because it fails to reward the pilot group for what we do on a daily basis, above and beyond the contract at times, to make this thing work..

Then stop doing that.

While in mediated negotiations? No wonder the TA you got sucks.
Albie doesn't work for us, he's a FedEx pilot.

On a more relative note, did anyone get the NPA blast email today?

Balloting to open "no later than Jun 27th"...?

Are you fu*king KIDDING ME??!! They're going to wait yet ANOTHER 10 days to open the balloting, THEN run it for yet another 21 days?

So much for having a NO vote done anytime soon. Just more wasted time. I wonder how long the recall effort people are going to hold off until they start acting.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back