Lear 45 "bat outta hell" departure at KAUS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
HEY Aviator 1978

I am also an Austin based pilot. Where do you work? Are they hiring?

I fly an Encore, an Hawker F/O wasn't joking. It won't keep up with a LR-60, but there's not much it won't keep up with. I've made it to 430 in just under 17 minutes before, and that's not even stressing it. MMO is .755, and most of the time, you can't run the darn thing at max cruise power, because it'll overspeed. I've done FL 230 in 4 minutes, and and 10,000 feet in 1 minute 12 seconds, (both of those with no pax). :) It's a fun bird.

Maybe someone here recalls the Clay Lacy Lear24B that did the zoom climb stunt while taking off one day at SFO, Rwy 28. Low overcast that gave a spectacular effect when you punched through the tops at around 600'. Don't know what happened, but the vertical speed up was tremendous at first, then the vertical speed down was even greater. Crashed in a near vertical dive in a parking lot right off the end off the runway. One of the pax was a catering guy was just going along for the quick ride over to the SMF airport. I guess it was a case of "watch this" that went bad.

An F-14 did the vertical climb thru a low overcast followed by a vertical descent into the terrain some years back - I think it was in Tennessee.

No LrJet can climb anything like any of the F-teen series......I don't care how lightly you are loaded. ( must've just been Mil-pwr departures )

Pardon my ignorance, but, if the Lear 60 can climb like a menace, why does it have to cruise so slow? Just because its such a small plane?

GulfstreamSDL said:
Pardon my ignorance, but, if the Lear 60 can climb like a menace, why does it have to cruise so slow? Just because its such a small plane?

Not enough wing for that much engine/thrust. An unfortunate combination as the P & W's are very capable of the mid mach .8's.

I flew the Lear 24, and while it was a handful to be responsible for - picture an airplane that does absolutely nothing for you but go fast - it was blast to fly on empty legs. Make noise, climb fast, turn like a Porsche - who doesn't like doing that? We had charter customers that booked the airplane instead of the 35's just to get the rocket ride to 450. The company record was FL 450 in 13 minutes - out of the East Coast no less. If I could I'd have one in the garage with a new EFIS cockpit mod and comfortable seats purely for my own transportation. Much like Clay Lacy does come to think of it, minus the EFIS.

I'd always heard the 24D was the baddest a$$ one of them all. All the thrust of the 25D with less weight.

Holy poop throwin monkeys!!

You can easily turn downwind from departure at 10,000 feet AGL in a light Lear 24 (or even 23). Better start leveling out ("positively," in FAA-speak) at about 1000 feet below your altitude or you will blow WAY through it.

Hand flying one for an hour or two at FL410 will make you a good pilot though. Always reminded me of flying a helicopter. Just "think" up or down instead of consciously moving the controls, and the plane will do it for you.

That being said, I flew with a captain once who did a "vertical" takeoff at TUS to impress the ground crew at the FBO, but without telling me first. Pulled the gear and flaps up on takeoff, put on the yaw damper, and stayed about 10 feet off the deck until the end of the runway. Then pulled up to about a 45 degree deck angle and climbed like hell. It was fun after I got over the initial shock of it, I guess, but I still gave him major hell for doing that without telling me. What if we had stalled right there at 10 feet if he pulled up too hard?

That same captain was killed a couple years later when he crashed his Lear. It's true that there are no old, bold pilots.

GulfstreamSDL said:

I wouldn't really call the cruise all that slow. At FL410 I usually got about .76-.77 Mach. Down in the mid 30's it was easy to get .80 Mach.

The MMO goes down the higher you go because of the wing buzz that can be produced. At least thats what was told to me.

CapnVegetto said:
I'd always heard the 24D was the baddest a$$ one of them all. All the thrust of the 25D with less weight.

Holy poop throwin monkeys!!

I think it was the 24E - no fuselage tank = no range, but would go like he!! until low fuel lights came on.

Latest resources

Back