Lear 45 "bat outta hell" departure at KAUS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mushroom said:
That being said, I flew with a captain once who did a "vertical" takeoff at TUS to impress the ground crew at the FBO, but without telling me first. Pulled the gear and flaps up on takeoff, put on the yaw damper, and stayed about 10 feet off the deck until the end of the runway. Then pulled up to about a 45 degree deck angle and climbed like hell. It was fun after I got over the initial shock of it, I guess, but I still gave him major hell for doing that without telling me. What if we had stalled right there at 10 feet if he pulled up too hard?

That same captain was killed a couple years later when he crashed his Lear. It's true that there are no old, bold pilots.

Hmmm, sounds like a guy who flew freight out of TUS, on a DHL contract, for Direct Air. He did an aileron roll coming into PHX. And his demise wasn't a question of IF, but WHEN? No surprise.

I'm not sure I would call it slow. It is no Citation X in cruise but it will do .82. When you get it up high (above FL370) it does slow down some.

Dangerkitty said:
I wouldn't really call the cruise all that slow. At FL410 I usually got about .76-.77 Mach. Down in the mid 30's it was easy to get .80 Mach.

That's slow... I just did an Atlantic crossing at M0.85 & FL450... And we were heavy, that was part of a nearly 11 hour flight...

mushroom said:
That same captain was killed a couple years later when he crashed his Lear. It's true that there are no old, bold pilots.

another way I have put it is,
"Never get bored while flying." Very dangerous.

Hey FL350: Its been a while since I flew the Lear 60, but if memory serves me right the MMO is .81 Hope you haven't been doing .82 in it. That wing would be buffetting pretty good. Unless of course you're talking about the Lear 45. Don't know what MMO is on that one.

My personal record flying the Lear 60 is 12,000 feet per minute climb. No joke. It didn't sustain that climb rate for very long, but it did it. The airplane is a rocket! Too bad it doesn't have a bigger wing, wheels and brakes. No telling what it could do.

Last edited:
I fly a 24D and it is a bad dude. I started on it when I had 700 hours and i'll tell you what, that's one heck of a ride. Anyway, i have like 500 hours in it now and it's the most fun you can have with your cloths on. Anyway, the only downside to ours is it has the 306 red line with the original wing. Out of sea level it'll peg the left side VSI, which is at 10,000 fpm. I just remember my first takeoff, talk about blowing an altitude.

P.S. ours only has 4000 hrs on it. It's still pretty fresh

wolfpackpilot said:
GulfstreamSDL,

I know that plane! I took off behind you guys last fall out in Vegas. Nice paint!

I wish I flew that plane...
however, I dont fly anything close to it just yet...see the a/c I've flown.

Thank Nike for that paint job they call "orange orca."

aviator1978 said:
So I'm out on the ramp today when I see a FlexJet Lear 45/40 (maybe another model), taking off and maintaining 45+ degree (no exageration) climb angle, and maintain it to probably 6000 ft, before turning out.

This thing was hanging with some of the F-18's and T-38's I've seen out of here. Just what is the max climb rate on a lightly loaded lear 45/40?

He was trying to keep up with the G5 that departed ahead of him. Sounds like he couldn't keep up.

Latest resources

Back