Lear 45 "bat outta hell" departure at KAUS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aviator1978

So I'm out on the ramp today when I see a FlexJet Lear 45/40 (maybe another model), taking off and maintaining 45+ degree (no exageration) climb angle, and maintain it to probably 6000 ft, before turning out.

This thing was hanging with some of the F-18's and T-38's I've seen out of here. Just what is the max climb rate on a lightly loaded lear 45/40?

aviator1978 said:
So I'm out on the ramp today when I see a FlexJet Lear 45/40 (maybe another model), taking off and maintaining 45+ degree (no exageration) climb angle, and maintain it to probably 6000 ft, before turning out.

This thing was hanging with some of the F-18's and T-38's I've seen out of here. Just what is the max climb rate on a lightly loaded lear 45/40?

I would imagine you saw a Lear 60. The 60's blow the doors off of the 45 down low.

I saw a Flexjet 45 do that out of EGE on 7-3-2002. No departure, just shagged a$$ to the west runway heading right over that big 'ol mountain. I was impressed. I also saw a Encore pilot from a Monett, MO based operator land at MKC (they fly single pilot or at least they did at the time), went inside with his passenger, they got in a limo, then the pilot came back out to the plane with 4 or 5 of his friends and a huge smile on his face. They fired it up and taxied north to runway 19. I hear something behind me and I turn around to see a Encore about 5 feet off the deck, level and checkin' out. At the end of the runway and just before the dyke, he pulled that yoke back to his throat (you could literally see the control surface deflection) and I lost sight of the aircraft in less than 30 seconds. About 20 minutes later he came back and they all got off the plane and one of his passengers was crying uncontrollably. I think she got the excitement scared right out of her. It was funny to watch the whole thing (not the crying girl), but in all honestly, it was foolish.

Last edited:
Some of the charter guys that hung around KAUS used to take us line service guys for rides on maintenance flights once in a while. They told me they would do 8000-9000 fpm on climbout with just enough fuel for the mx flight, but those were lear 35's. I believe it....it looked like they were at least 5000 ft high by the end of the runway.

Of course, I've done 7500 fpm in a WSCoD with only 2 people in the back.

aviator1978 said:
Just to emphasis what a 60 will do, it will climb like that at MGTOW. Those 305As are bad dudes. Was talking to a guy from P&W about 3 months ago, and he went into this long dissertation about how the engines were derated because they could not keep it on the runway during V1 cuts with the originally proposed thrust rating.

I have made it to FL400 in less than 10 minutes in the 60. If you do the math, thats more than 4000 fpm average. We weren't MGTOW but we weren't all that light either. That airplane is really something else.

Latest resources

Back