Latest on UAL recalls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Andy,
Are there any discussions about eliminating the freezes of the Leave of Absence folks, due to the fact that so many 767's are going so junior?

Also, any more word on the future of the 737 at UAL?

Too early for both.

I've heard second hand of one guy who was on a LOA and was able to get a 767, but it's not something that I'd count on.

As for the phaseout of the 737, take a look at United's investor day presentation: http://library.corporate-ir.net/library/83/836/83680/items/224251/2006InvestorDayPresentation.pdf

Page 95 indicates that the 733 is the oldest fleet at United.
I wouldn't expect to see a phaseout of the 737 until United starts taking delivery of new aircraft. United has a number of exercisable options with Airbus for 319/320s. If there were an industry downturn, that may also cause an accelerated retirement of the 737s.b
One factor that complicates this is the fact that Continental has a significant number of 737s. They have 48 737-300s and 63 737-500s.

Last edited:
FO Employment Application 2000

Basic Qualifications (From UAL Flight Officer Employment Application in 2000)
  • Meet eligibility requirements of FAR 61.153 (a) through (f) and 61.159 for the ATP rating (Note: ATP written must be current) or hold ATP certificate.
  • Must possess flight engineer certificate (turbojet) or must have passed the FAA written (FEB and FEJ or FEX).
  • 300 hours Multi-engine Airplane or 300 hours Turbojet powered airplane.
  • FAA commercial pilot certificate (ASEL or AMEL) with instrument rating.
  • High School graduate or GED.
  • Able to effectively manipulate the controls of all aircraft United Airlines operates.
  • Must possess First Class medical certificate.
  • Vision correctable to 20/20.
  • If not a US citizen you must be a registered alien with a legal right to accept employment in the US.
  • Must possess restricted radio telephone operator permit.
NO MORE FE positions so this should be removed from new application whenever it comes about.

Good luck.

I am recalled to the Feb 5 class. I received an e-mail from Bob Neil today that the assignments will be mailed to Mil leave and Leav of Absence pilots on or about Feb 5th. They are working on them now, and the pairings are not yet complete.

So, has everyone been offered recall for sure? What date must the last 100 (150?) respond by? Any info on how many of those who aren't allowed to bypass won't be coming back? Tough call on what to do, I bet many of the remaining furoughees have pretty good gigs elsewhere. All this merger talk makes me crazy...security or opportunity...that is the question everyone considering a move will have to decide on.

They have definately hit the bottom of the list as I spoke to Bob Neil last week. I think the real question is how many on bypass are going to come back ??? and that is going to drive when we will start the hiring process. My guess is about 70-75% will not come back to UAL and hiring will spool up by September.

UAL is short and manpower knows it. UAL cannot afford the meltdown that they have experienced over the last few summers and that is what is driving the high recall numbers we have presently going. Thank god UAL is more proactive in trying to not repeat this error as in past years. Keep in mind age 60 changing to 65 and new routes to more international destinations will have a big impact on the company and off course eveyones favorite topic these days, airline consolidation.

So, for now it is wait and see as UAL is sending out 50 letters to fill 15 slots in the coming months. I am certain you will see classes of around 20 twice a month unitl April or May...Then all pilots will have to get out there and fly their butts off...The current reserves are flying around 82-90 on average, so that just proves that as vacancies become available in a multitude of seats and fleets it will drive how many pilots we need to return or hire to fill these vacancies. So for now we can olny still make assumptions.

22 Jan 07 Class

Has anyone received an assigment notification in the mail? Has anyone in that class received written confirmation that thier military leave or LOA has been approved after returning the recall package?

Many thanks...

Has anyone in that class received written confirmation that thier military leave or LOA has been approved after returning the recall package?
Maybe you meant something else, but just to clarify:
- UAL doesn't need to "approve" military leave: it's a federal law.
- If you don't have a personal leave already approved, you will have to apply separately from the recall package to get one. BTW, they aren't likely to grant an personal LOA either should you apply now.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back