• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Latest on UAL recalls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am on reserve in Denver and if you don't want to work, you can do pretty well right now. I had 22 days off last month and only flew 39 hours.

That sounds like how it was 6 years ago...had to beg the crew desk for a trip while sitting reserve. But, with the current manning levels, I thought the reserves were being maxxed out every month....39 hours for a reserve FO is very surprising to me. But, I do like the sound of the long call/short call deal.

Latest info running around about UAL recall numbers. As they are going UP the list, it's currently running at a 10% recall rate.
So out of 891 pilots on bypass, I guess that UAL will see around 90 of them return.

Here are the very latest numbers:
Junior Pilot Remaining on By Pass: Seniority #: 8405
Hire Date: 11/5/2000
Pilots Remaining on By Pass: 744

Last edited:
So it might be realistic for them to be through the list by May/June with newhires this summer? What do the recall classes (sizes and number of classes) look like for the spring?

That sounds like how it was 6 years ago...had to beg the crew desk for a trip while sitting reserve. But, with the current manning levels, I thought the reserves were being maxed out every month....39 hours for a reserve FO is very surprising to me. But, I do like the sound of the long call/short call deal.

Puppy:

I cannot speak for other fleets or domiciles, but in Denver on the A320, they seem to be staffed well. I did just cover an O'Hare ID yesterday. And, judging by the unfilled vacancies in IAD where there were 38 unfilled on the last bid, and in ORD where there were 18 unfilled I believe, other domiciles may be a bit tight on coverage. If you do want to work, and want to aggressively pick up trips, you can still usually find plenty of flying and achieve credit above the guarantee of 70 hours.

Another change since you all were last on the property is you can now pick up trips in open time either 28 hours prior to departure, OR at 1100 AM the day before, which ever occurs first. This is nice because if you are commuting to fly out of another domicile, you can get a lot of advance notice. That way, if you have your eye on a LAX red eye leaving at 2300 the following day for example, you don't have to wait until 1900 to pick it up the previous day. You will know by 1100 if you got the trip or not and can better plan.

I hope this type of information is helpful for those of you nervous about getting based initially at a domicile requiring a commute. And don't forget, you also get unlimited fee-waived BP-7s for the first 6 months of commuting, and BP-8s for the last 6 months. Before they run out, you will be back based where you want to be. Commuting sucks no matter what, but it helps a little bit.

If you decide to move, and you are assigned a domicile other than that in which you were furloughed from, you are entitled to a paid move. This paid move includes two vehicles and a very generous package including house hunting hotels/rental cars, per diem while at your new domicile while on duty between trips and hotels as well for the first 90 days. There are lots of other perks as well like UAL paying to register your cars, hook up your appliances, packers and unpackers, etc. A full corporate move is really nice if you decide to relocate.

BigRed1

Actually....

You get BP-3 (Positive Space) for the first SIX months then BP-7's for another SIX months.....

(IF you are recalled to another base other than where you were furloughed.)

Puppy:

I cannot speak for other fleets or domiciles, but in Denver on the A320, they seem to be staffed well. I did just cover an O'Hare ID yesterday. And, judging by the unfilled vacancies in IAD where there were 38 unfilled on the last bid, and in ORD where there were 18 unfilled I believe, other domiciles may be a bit tight on coverage. If you do want to work, and want to aggressively pick up trips, you can still usually find plenty of flying and achieve credit above the guarantee of 70 hours.

Another change since you all were last on the property is you can now pick up trips in open time either 28 hours prior to departure, OR at 1100 AM the day before, which ever occurs first. This is nice because if you are commuting to fly out of another domicile, you can get a lot of advance notice. That way, if you have your eye on a LAX red eye leaving at 2300 the following day for example, you don't have to wait until 1900 to pick it up the previous day. You will know by 1100 if you got the trip or not and can better plan.

I hope this type of information is helpful for those of you nervous about getting based initially at a domicile requiring a commute. And don't forget, you also get unlimited fee-waived BP-7s for the first 6 months of commuting, and BP-8s for the last 6 months. Before they run out, you will be back based where you want to be. Commuting sucks no matter what, but it helps a little bit.

If you decide to move, and you are assigned a domicile other than that in which you were furloughed from, you are entitled to a paid move. This paid move includes two vehicles and a very generous package including house hunting hotels/rental cars, per diem while at your new domicile while on duty between trips and hotels as well for the first 90 days. There are lots of other perks as well like UAL paying to register your cars, hook up your appliances, packers and unpackers, etc. A full corporate move is really nice if you decide to relocate.

BigRed1

Big Red,
thanks for the info. It helps a lot for people like me trying to make a very difficult decision. I'd be looking at commuting from ATL to ORD. That Long Call reserve system might just make the commuter lifestyle a little more friendly.
Puppy

Actually....

You get BP-3 (Positive Space) for the first SIX months then BP-7's for another SIX months.....

(IF you are recalled to another base other than where you were furloughed.)

You are exactly correct Sonny. Thanks for keeping the facts straight. Sorry, that 0600 departure came extremely early this morning. Much of this is a blur now as I was recalled back in November of 2004. Wow, how time flies.

Great info...I picked some UAL line guys' brains and found this out, hopefully I got it accurately...

The word around TK is newhires the spring of 08, as far as they've heard. The capt was a check airman-I imagine he would know the latest solid info.

Pay raises seem highly unlikely till 09; even though there are some folks are wanting to change that, it doesn't seem to be a realistic movement.

The latest contract has the 'bus' and 300 fleets as low cost carrier type fleets, and have some contractual differences such as: The pilots of those fleets are not getting paid for cancelled flights, nor are pay protected for a reassignment if it's less time that the original pairing or "ID". OUch to that one....

9 year f/o was about 50% on the DEN 300 list, and had a 93 hour line (didn't catch the number of days off). He could hold 757 f/o everywhere but SEA.

Trading trips not so easy on PBS because of the lack of reserve coverage. The big pick is your best chance. Reserves don't have such a bad deal with the same info provided in the preceding few posts.

Neither crewmember was complaining or hating life...both class A guys with realistic expectations, but know changes need to happen in 09.

What it really boils down to: You still get crew meals but you still have to wear a hat. :) That's important stuff, there. Thanks for the info- still deciding--on leave, that is... ;) Oh- and yeah, you can put a lateral in while on leave...Mr. Neil entered it on my behalf.

newhires by spring of '08?...do you mean spring of '07?...from the previous posts and posts on current staffing levels it seems like a little long of a wait to keep the airline properly staffed?

Well, no, they guys said '08. I was suprised, too, but there are a lot of classes being filled through May with furloughees. Don't have any idea what the plan is in the meantime.....maybe a merger! just kidding. I hope.

Latest resources

Back