• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Latest ASA offer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In my opinion to post only a fraction of what was offered in no context to other items is irresponsible. To compare it to the car adds in the paper they all look great, till you see the fine print and the fact that the other models have features that you would actually want on your car for five years.( just like a real contract) You see posting the car add offer from the company to stir the pot is irresponsible and foolish. We all know that, we can all see that.

To compare it to a blind date, 'she has a great personality', she looked great at the last family reunion,(ten years ago). I could go on.

In statistics there are many ways to bend the numbers for presentation. Just like posting this, on verbal info. Verbal is not always accurate either.

So here it is. Let the process continue, patience. Most of us, do not want to drive a stripped down car, or get married to the blind date.

I know we have a lot of opinions, and they all are valid. But be responsible too. The offer is encouraging, but it is not a bad sign that our MEC is still negotiating a counter offer. It is a good sign.

atrdriver said:
I fly for the most profitable airline in the business.

...which does 100% of its contract flying for one severely bankrupt airline.

imacdog said:
...which does 100% of its contract flying for one severely bankrupt airline.

Well you guys in CVG are certainly doing your part to save the airline while winning the race to the bottom. Good job.

Does that change the fact that ASA, while as a separate company is making profit, is still a contract carrier for a bankrupt airline? I am also painfully aware of my company's current position, as I was furloughed last winter and know that the worst may not be over for us.

imacdog said:
Does that change the fact that ASA, while as a separate company is making profit, is still a contract carrier for a bankrupt airline? I am also painfully aware of my company's current position, as I was furloughed last winter and know that the worst may not be over for us.

While SkyWest is very profitable serving Delta only is like having a berth on the Titanic. If any airline management is as incompetent as Delta they need to step forward for recognition. Our Delta President means well but he is clearly way over his head. If we do our jobs as poorly as they do theirs we would land gear up about every other leg. Good luck to all of us.

JoeMerchant said:
ASA's net profit margin is about 1/3rd what it was in 1998, it continues to decline, and the profit is entirely dependent on "winning" bids for mainline feed.

Margins may be down but volume is up. Way up. A reasonable raise for pilots is not going to break the bank. Management pay and bonuses effect net margin. How do those numbers compare to 1998? ASA must have been super profitable in 1998. Government reported figures has ASA's net margin at somewhere north of 13% recently. Are you suggesting that in 1998 margins were over 40%?

Firehoser said:
<<They are???? ASA made HOW much money last quarter?>>

Lets put the profit in a little perspective:

If I remember correctly last quarter's profit at ASA was about $45 million.

Fuel expense for the same period: $ 24 million
Crew expense, (Pilots only): $ 61 million
Non contract employees $ 240 million
(Based on 25K a year)
Leases, maintenance, parts etc? $ ??????
Benefits $ ??????
Other costs(training etc) $ ???????

Ok those of you ranting about the excessive profit ASA is making run the numbers yourself and consider:

??? Did you learn anything sleeping through Economics in high school????

Firehoser, the fuel question was specifically asked to BL and he said it was totally irrelevant, as it is a "flow-through cost" that is paid directly by Delta. It has nothing whatsoever to do with us making or losing money.
Of course, this was the same day he came in to passionately deny that he had any Skywest stock at all. "Zero, nada, none" I believe were his words. Approx. 45 minutes after he left, he came back to say that he just found out he had received the 28,000-ish shares we had specifically asked him about (which he had vehemently denied having less than an hour before). Interestingly, the whole reason he had shown up was to put an end to the stock rumors about him and to discuss how we needed to build a more trusting relationship between the pilots and management. Draw your own conclusions....

-Blucher:erm:

Blucher said:
Interestingly, the whole reason he had shown up was to put an end to the stock rumors about him and to discuss how we needed to build a more trusting relationship between the pilots and management. Draw your own conclusions....

-Blucher:erm:

USED CAR SALESMAN!!!! I still don't trust him, the damage has been done!

imacdog said:

The ASA Flying was already affirmed by the courts. And who cares who our flying is for? We are still making more money than ANY OTHER regional airline. If DAL wanted to drop the cost of our service, then it could cut a little into those profits without coming after the pilots. The ultimate business would have no employees to deal with. Unfortunatly for the airlines, they MUST deal with employees. The successful airlines realize that those employees are their greatest assets. The un-successful airlines don't.

Latest resources

Back