Latest ASA offer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
dal757 said:
One big difference... Mesaba is in ch.11 ASA is not!

True......very true. When/if broke Delta "skips" a few payments like broke Northwest did to Mesaba, bankruptcy would seem to me a very viable option to make sure that those greedy ASA pilots work for less money than the average Delta 757 CA gives in allowance to his 7 year girl.

Dodge said:
True......very true. When/if broke Delta "skips" a few payments like broke Northwest did to Mesaba, bankruptcy would seem to me a very viable option to make sure that those greedy ASA pilots work for less money than the average Delta 757 CA gives in allowance to his 7 year girl.

Good point Dodge. I do agree with you there!

Dodge said:

Except for the SkyWest/Dal deal was already affirmed by the bankruptcy judge.

Them bills is gettin' paid, yo.

Guys and Gals. You have to stick with us. This thread is Flame. Don't sell out. Get a good contract, and work for what you desirve to get paid. I would like to see the a contract signed, ASA grow, be a big happy family, and not have to wory about SKYW transfering assets, but this is the real world. We have to stick it out and take it a day at a time, get us a good contract and raise the bar in this $hity industry we work in. I am sory for any spelling I have been drinking and not a good speller anyway.

dal757 said:
These ARE tough times fellas! I do agree that earlier offers were unacceptable but the latest offers have been better!!

But hey, This is just my opinion...

They are???? ASA made HOW much money last quarter? And was the most profitable regional airline in existance? And that qualifies as tough times in your book?????

<<They are???? ASA made HOW much money last quarter?>>

Lets put the profit in a little perspective:

If I remember correctly last quarter's profit at ASA was about $45 million.

Fuel expense for the same period: $ 24 million
Crew expense, (Pilots only): $ 61 million
Non contract employees $ 240 million
(Based on 25K a year)
Leases, maintenance, parts etc? $ ??????
Benefits $ ??????
Other costs(training etc) $ ???????

Ok those of you ranting about the excessive profit ASA is making run the numbers yourself and consider:

If no money was coming in; on $45 million profit a quarter, how many days could ASA continue to pay salaries and meet its financial obligations before it would have to start selling off its assets? (Assume a condition where Delta dumps us at the end of our contract with them).

Run the numbers - $45 million sounds like a lot but its a drop in the bucket. It looks even lower when you realize that represents about 5% or so in profit margin.

Its like bringing home $7000 a month in salary but having to pay out $6700 in bills. No sane and responsible adult would let their budget get to that condition but that is exactly the constraints airlines are working under these days. Its amazing they are all hanging on.

??? Did you learn anything sleeping through Economics in high school????

Once again, FUEL IS A PASS THROUGH EXPENSE to DAL.

So, 24 million in your figures is of no worry to ASA or SKYWEST inc.

Apples to Oranges

MESABA is owned by MAIR holdings, which has many ties to NORTHWEST, which made it easy to withhold payments to Mesaba/ divert money and create a bankruptcy at Mesaba.

You guys who say this is as good as it gets, have taken the bait from management. They have sucessfully lowered your expectations and now that they have POSSIBLY come to the table with ZERO concessions, made you believe that this is the best we could hope for.

Stop and think.

Medeco

Firehoser: Thanks!

That is EXACTLY what I meant by saying these are tough times. Unfortunately several on here don't quite get it. I'm all for raising salaries. (especially for first year FO's) But we MUST consider what the companies are up against. These are unique times! Why run the airline into the ground. Get a better contract and then in a few years when things are turning much better let's fight for what's deserved. People it's better to have an airline to fly for rather than strike or allow the assets to be sold or transfered.

I truly do wish the best for all the pilots at ASA...

Not sure where you are getting your numbers from there firehoser, but just to enlighten you, ASA pilot pay roll is about $85 million a year, so how you come up with pilot cost of $65 million a quarter is a little puzzeling.

dal757 said:
These are unique times!

You at least go that much right:

Alaska: Profitable
Horizon: Profitable
Continental: Profitable
UAL: Profitable (!)
Southwest: Profitable
And on and on....

What a concept: charge (at least) what it costs to produce your product, and VOILA! Profitable.

Anybody that falls for doom and gloom arguments for taking concessions or a crappy contract (besides for in bankruptcy) given a) the shenanigans that managements have been pulling across the industry and b) the current yield management picture, is a sucker.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back