• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Kneeboard anyone?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have never seen a kneeboard in a 121 aircraft.

Post it notes and hotel note pads.

The closest thing to a knee board you will see in a 121 bird is a clip board....and that is mostly used to put your crew meal on!

ever shot an approach in moderate turbulence? Sucks trying hold an approach still on the yoke clip while flying the airplane. Ive got one, use it when I need it (hard IFR days, turbulence etc...). Other than that mine came with a metal clip board that fits approach plates perfectly, I usualy keep a clean sheet of paper on it to write down frequencies, clearances and what not on. my clipboard on the other hand usually sits on my lap.

Travis,

Currently I am paying my bill by flying the tiny baby jet CRJ-200. I do use a note pad, since I have terrible short-term memory, without using note a pad writing down the taxing instruction at JFK, LGA, BOS, and ORD I don’t think I can read back the full taxing instruction during the busy time. The good news is that in the CRJ you don’t have to bring your own kneeboard anymore, there is a note pad clip board build below the side window, and a yoke clip as well. In the real world flying, there are tons of frequencies to switch during a single leg, you don’t have to write them down, what you can do is by putting your hand on the radio knob whenever you hear your call sign, tune in the frequencies before read back. Feel free to use a kneeboard, because being able to read back the long instructions at super busy airport is more important than look cool front of your instructor.

As an eager young lad about to take my first Pt. 135 flight, I met my buddy who was the PIC in operations with my nice, new, shiny kneeboard. I had the concept of it, but it was more along the lines of: I should have one of these things, because I'm now a "professional pilot". It was sort of like: why do dogs chase cars?

So in I walk, and my friend says, "What are you going to do with that?" as he takes my shiny kneeboard out of my hand and in the same motion throws it in the corner. That was my last encounter with a kneeboard.

One of those moments in a long career that you never forget, or my buddy's laugh as he threw it. Rosi, if you're reading this, you remember it too as if it was yesterday!!!

I have a VERy sinple one... the ASA that is just a small 4.25"x11" (half sheet of paper size) just so I can jot down clearances if I'm IFR or notes about the student if I'm instructing... those bigger ones with pockets and folds are just a gigantic pain

Simply put, use it if you need it, don't if you don't...

I use one whenever I fly light GA aircraft, simply because most of them don't have anywhere to put stuff. One of the reasons you won't see them in the 121 world is because the larger airplanes almost always have places to put stuff. Built in yoke clips or chart holders, or heck the charts might even be incorporated into the avionics or an EFB.

Military guys use them simply because when you're flying upside down or going vertical, things have a tendancy to disappear.

Instructors use them because they can jot down critiques and keep various training items handy.

Gives me an idea... I think next time I get a contract FO for work, I'll dig mine out of the closet just to see what type of response I can get...

Lead Sled said:
Find a system that works for you and use it. Your system will invariably evolve as you gain experience or fly different equipment.

'Sled
Agreed. When I started in singles and twins as a single-pilot PIC, I would use one all the time. I had a little system of organizing stuff in the cockpit and in my bag. After a while I went to using a little clipboard with a note pad on it - I would set it next to the seat for most of the flight. Now, in a 2-pilot 135 situation, a little hotel notepad and the TOLD cards are all that's necessary. We have a tiny little fold-down desk on each side of the cockpit, and a clip on the yoke.

In an aircraft with EFIS and an FMS, much of the relevant information is contained in the displays and electronics instead of paper products.

Last edited:
I no longer use a kneeboard since my student stole mine and was out of the country for three weeks. She brought it back to me when she started training again, but I got used to not having it.

IFR approaches

I have to admit I've always had a kneeboard but truthfully it gets in the way I think..I'm going to go w/o from now on...

However what to do w/an instrument approach plate if you don't have a yoke-clip?? Most of the rentals don't have them... - I hate to be disorganized especially when it comes to stuff like that - don't want to be fumbling around in hard-IMC trying to fly and find the damn thing that fell underneath the seat...

Single seat fighters..yes air lines..no. That`s as bad as some dork showing up wearing gloves. If you see either, watch him closely.

Latest resources

Back