• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Kneeboard anyone?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for the great responses everyone. I'm really just trying to start good habits early on in my flight training. My instructor doesnt really seem to be that "hip" with Cockpit Resource Managment either. I wish I could conduct my training as a pilot of a regional/major/freight airline would. Seems like it would be much safer and just good habit. If anyone has any tips on cockpit organization from the commercial world I am all ears.

Travis

minitour said:
I've been converted.

I used to use a kneeboard and still say if you need it, use it. Now I've gotten to the point where I have a system. Before I go, I put a post it note at my Departure airport, Departure alternate, destination and alternate airports in the binder all labled accordingly. Then the Binders get stacked and placed on the floor between me and my cap-e-tin (student) in the left seat (right by the fuel selector). I carry a small yellow notepad which I write down clearances and ATISs in a shorthand which unfortunately only I could understand. The checklist either goes wedged between the windshield (not screen) and the "dashboard" or in the side pocket. Wherever it goes, the notepad goes the opposite usually. Sometimes I'll put the notepad pen and pencil in the "glovebox" up front. Enroute chart and/or sectional in the yoke clip and my navlog (which I print out from Flitestar along with NOTAMS, etc) goes in a little bitty black binder in the side pocket.

When I get to my destination, I flip to my "marked" airport and find the right approach, brief it and go at it.

Can't say I've used a kneeboard since.....a while. Clipboard yes (the small one that came with the kneeboard). Kneeboard no...and I have been teaching students to not use them...clipboard is all ya really need at the most.

Sorry it got long winded...but an interesting discussion....more beer please!

-mini

OCD anyone?

I agree with the more beer though.

FWIW, In nearly 40 years of flying I've only flown with one guy who used a kneeboard. He was (is) a Navy Reserve P-3 pilot, so I guess it must be a military thing. In observing him, I honestly didn't see where it accomplished anything - he kept a running list of all of the frequencies, but you essentially have the same thing if you have "flip-flop" frequency selectors.

Personally, I have attached a small spring clip on the windshield centerpost. To that we attach a pre-printed TOLD (TakeOff and Landing Data) card. Takeoff data on one side, landing data on the other. There's plenty of room for the ATIS, Clearance, and Vspeeds. Some guys will simply use PostIt Notes which really work just as well.

Find a system that works for you and use it. Your system will invariably evolve as you gain experience or fly different equipment.

'Sled

Last edited:
Good question. I was an airline instructor for a major airline. While I worked mostly in the training center in the sims, I flew a lot around the country in the jump seats on my way to different cities to do re-current training, etc.

I never saw one airline pilot use a knee board for the airline I worked for. I was an instructor on the B-727 and B-737 aircraft and there was around 1800 pilots - I knew almost all of them and flew with a lot of them. Never saw one use a knee board though.

That being said, when I flew in general aviation (C-172, C-310), I always used one...I just found it handy.

Ralph
www.wxnotice.com

My technique,

Steal a handful of printer paper from the crew room. Place in flight bag. Pull one out when i start my day. Fold it into fours so it is a quarter size. Place pen in shirt pocket. ATIS, clearence, W&B, Speeds, route changes, arrival gate and special instructions all fit on one quarter. Im good to go for 8 legs.

Illini Pilot said:
i used the taller ASA version (fit a sectional without folding it), but never strapped it on, just as an organizer.

Why am I reminded of:

"I tried marijuana once. I did not inhale."
--William J. Clinton

Single seat jets... everyone uses em. Some guys it's all I see them walk out with. Mine has everything on in from check lists to local approaches, and other misc stuff, and a pad of paper at the bottom for random stuff. Everything we print out, or cards we make for the flights... all of it to knee board size. There's just no room for anything else, and if its not attached to you, you'll lose it doing anything dynamic.

Everyone (that I've seen) uses them in the 64 community...some guys even use two. Nice convenient place to put all of that mission info.

As far as civilian flying, I still use mine. Old habits die hard, I guess. Would I use one once I make it to an airline? Dunno yet, but I don't think I'd want to be the "kneeboard dork"...

As long as you have a place to write down all of your pertinent info, you're fine.

SIG600 said:
Single seat jets... everyone uses em. Some guys it's all I see them walk out with. Mine has everything on in from check lists to local approaches, and other misc stuff, and a pad of paper at the bottom for random stuff. Everything we print out, or cards we make for the flights... all of it to knee board size. There's just no room for anything else, and if its not attached to you, you'll lose it doing anything dynamic.

The T-45 single seat now??

Latest resources

Back