• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Kneeboard anyone?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My kneeboard goes in my backpack next to my cd player and my uniform hat. I have the ASA kneeboard as I find it doesn't wrinkle my dockers. The only time I have had a problem with my kneeboard is when the Captain and I switch seats on deadheads. It can catch the yoke resulting in zoom climbs, rapid descents or excessive bank angles. I find if I take it to the bar at the hotel, I have a nice surface to write down the names of the ladies that try to pick my up so I can keep them straight.

John2375 said:
However what to do w/an instrument approach plate if you don't have a yoke-clip?? Most of the rentals don't have them... - I hate to be disorganized especially when it comes to stuff like that - don't want to be fumbling around in hard-IMC trying to fly and find the dang thing that fell underneath the seat...

I'm a big fan of the standard $3 clip board for that kind of stuff. I'll clip my scratch paper in there and then the approach plates go on top, so I can both keep my plates visible and organized as well as write down the clearance and other stuff if needed.

As far as ATIS goes, I haven't written that down for years.

-Goose

Travis152 said:
Does anyone use a kneeboard to keep themselves organized? What about when you fly commercialy? I find it hard to balance the checklist on my knee and copy frequencies and such on the other.

Thanks,
Travis

Knee boards are fine. I use them regularly when flight instructing.

Use them for taking notes on what was covered in the lesson, ATIS, ...in IFR conditions, things get very busy, its goodto have a surface to jot down clerances, frequencies, transponder codes, headings altitudes, HIWAS, TWEB, Etc.

Dont think your too professional to use one.

UAL78 said:
As an eager young lad about to take my first Pt. 135 flight, I met my buddy who was the PIC in operations with my nice, new, shiny kneeboard. I had the concept of it, but it was more along the lines of: I should have one of these things, because I'm now a "professional pilot". It was sort of like: why do dogs chase cars?

So in I walk, and my friend says, "What are you going to do with that?" as he takes my shiny kneeboard out of my hand and in the same motion throws it in the corner. That was my last encounter with a kneeboard.

One of those moments in a long career that you never forget, or my buddy's laugh as he threw it. Rosi, if you're reading this, you remember it too as if it was yesterday!!!

You don't need to write it down for ORD, it is "right on Alpha, Alpha 18, Bravo, Mike 2, Tango, for 32L Tango 10. What do you mean read it back to the controllers. I am not sure I have read back a taxi clearance in 6 months at ORD. I don't have time to, he is already giving instructions to someone else. I many times use the scratch pad of the FMS to type some of instructions.
;)

AA
What ever works for you guys, I don't think the kneeboard is nearly as funny as the conductors hat and whistle I saw a captain use on another airline.

I fly all GA planes and if I go IFR I have my kneeboard on. Granted it doesnt get used after I write down the clearance unless they throw a route change at me. Otherwise theres no other convenient place to keep that stuff. I try to keep my flight bag on the right seat and put charts, etc under it but it always disappears underneath the seat somewhere. I do agree that while the controller is giving you a frequency change to change it while hes talking so your new freq is already in the standby position on the com. Then reply back.

Latest resources

Back