• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Just like a 150...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Never tried it in the Dash 8, but watched a guy do it in a Citation X. I was not impressed.

What does stable approach criteria think of that slip? That in and of itself is reason not to do it in a transport category airplane.

In the crj it is a qrh procedure in cruise flight with no altitude restriction to accomplish gravity crossflow and you are telling me that increasing drag with a hershey bar wing is unsafe?

So, naysayers, what is the safety concern here?

Agreed. Cert rules require a Vdive descent with a full rudder travel then back to neutral during the initial TSDS, even the A300 went through it, however the immediate reversal was the issue.

I'm not saying the airplane or the crew can't handle it, but we are in the passenger comfort business. So while fun for the crew, it can't be very comforting to the average passenger.

Bingo!

Crazy how many guys forget this.

I wonder what the stabilized approach criteria is at that airline? I'm guessing the vertical speed was probably pretty high.

I'm not saying the airplane or the crew can't handle it, but we are in the passenger comfort business. So while fun for the crew, it can't be very comforting to the average passenger.

I agree too.

I was on an MD-88 that started to do S-turns on final and it freaked out a bunch of passengers. One lady even screamed out loud.

We have plenty of passengers on our flights that are afraid to fly, so go have fun on your days off with airplanes.

Suppose after the successful slip you lose nosewheel steering (completely unrelated) and go off the runway and the FDR is pulled. How many "Humenna Humenna's" will you get out during the interrogation that follows? Will your union even return your calls or are you going to call up Yeager and see if he'll go to bat for you?

Suppose after the successful slip you lose nosewheel steering (completely unrelated) and go off the runway and the FDR is pulled. How many "Humenna Humenna's" will you get out during the interrogation that follows? Will your union even return your calls or are you going to call up Yeager and see if he'll go to bat for you?

That would suck but hopefully someone who can slip a Dash 8 safely also can operate it safely with the nosewheel steering inop.

Latest resources

Back