• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Just like a 150...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A dash 8 isn't even a swept wing. Slip or go-around and waste a hundred bucks in fuel? It's nice to know that there are some pilots out there who still know how to fly an airplane.

If you left yourself to high and need to do a slip, that is poor airmanship. Forcing a landing because you think you can get the plane down is poor airmanship. Freaking out the pax over your mistake is poor airmanship.

Leave forward slips in your 172 days.

Airmanship involves planning, skill, and even making the correct decision to go around.

And if you get called into the CP office far spending to much money by doing a go-around, then you are working at a really sketchy place. A real airline has a no fault go around policy.

A dash 8 isn't even a swept wing. Slip or go-around and waste a hundred bucks in fuel? It's nice to know that there are some pilots out there who still know how to fly an airplane.

Please tell me you aren't serious...:confused:

If you left yourself to high and need to do a slip, that is poor airmanship. Forcing a landing because you think you can get the plane down is poor airmanship. Freaking out the pax over your mistake is poor airmanship.

Airmanship involves planning, skill, and even making the correct decision to go around.

And if you get called into the CP office far spending to much money by doing a go-around, then you are working at a really sketchy place. A real airline has a no fault go around policy.

^^^ I agree.
You are in the airlines now. Act and fly like a professional. Safety first! Hot dog flying is best left to your off-the-clock flying.

Ahh come on man.. Do you think grandma in 4a would have been closer to a heart attack seeing the runway for a few seconds or going around? Grandma did just fine.

I'm just annoyed by all the guys (fo and captain) who seem to never overcome the fact that the airplane (all of it) is completely under their control. My soapbox statement: it's an airplane... fly it.

How true it is...

The company operating those Dash 8's IS a very sketchy company that does put subtle pressure on pilots to "git 'er dun".

If you are in a situation where you have to slip a transport category airplane in revenue operations, you already screwed up by not electing to go around. I am not slamming the crew, but I think it showed poor judgement. Just because you can doesn't mean that you should...just sayin'

I completely agree. I'm not going to second guess the crew. We've all made dumb decisions for whatever reasons. I'm just saying that our company motto is "safety first, unless it costs money".

In the crj it is a qrh procedure in cruise flight with no altitude restriction to accomplish gravity crossflow and you are telling me that increasing drag with a hershey bar wing is unsafe?

So, naysayers, what is the safety concern here?

Wow, you really are serious about a forward slip to a landing in a transport category aircraft to be reasonable.

Latest resources

Back