Just like a 150...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
F and F,

Quit while you're ahead! Your post keep betraying your superior airmanship!

A FORWARD slip is NOT how we land in a crosswind...

Probabily a CRJ pilot, they think that the pedals are for brakes, on the ground, and thinks coordinated flight means not getting Que Bueno grease on their shirt.

I'm just glad the guy knows how to control an airplane. There are so many people on the line who takeoff disregarding aerodynamics by failing to put in crosswind correction and yanking the plane off the ground, then wallow back and forth during the climbout because they are not looking out side or just have a equilibrium that is out of sync, then focus all their attention on that stupid little banana bar even if it runs them into a mountain.

Airmanship is comprised of both professionalism and being able to control your airplane with YOUR hands and feet.

Lastly, for those who think they would never perform a slip in a transport category airplane, do you realize that is how you land in a crosswind?

Repeat after me, please. "A forward slip is not the same as a side slip to land in a crosswind". Then kindly please go fly cargo and not passengers.

For the last time this has nothing to do with aerodynamic theory.

Seriously? The suggestion is made that you are never to slip a hershey bar airplane that operates in the transport category. There is no mention of it being out of line due to safety, only due to what you call good airmanship, and now the fact that we are slipping the airplane every crosswind landing is irrelevant?

Let me give an example of great airmanship played out in a specific example.

You're flying with 50 or 300 people in the back. You've had a complete flame out. You have committed yourself to a runway. You end up high (which was probably the right side to err on).

I consider good airmanship in this moment to be safely landing on the runway. An additional benefit of slipping is the fact that you don't commit yourself nearly as much to the drag you are bringing on as you do when you start going full dirty.

I have personally slipped the crj in the sim. Why? Because my sim instructor wanted us to realize that despite all the extra crap, the airplane is still nothing more than an airplane. Hence my frustration with those who think it can not perform aerodynamically because it has people in the back.

And by the way, in the crj at low speed and 100% slip you will initiate a snap roll. However you can sense the loss of aileron effectiveness and adjust.

If you are in a situation where you have to slip a transport category airplane in revenue operations, you already screwed up by not electing to go around. I am not slamming the crew, but I think it showed poor judgement. Just because you can doesn't mean that you should...just sayin'

+1

Especially in a 121 turboprop. No excuse. Giant speedbrake thingies attached to the front of the engines should fix screwups, along with the gear.

Seriously? The suggestion is made that you are never to slip a hershey bar airplane that operates in the transport category. There is no mention of it being out of line due to safety, only due to what you call good airmanship, and now the fact that we are slipping the airplane every crosswind landing is irrelevant?

Let me give an example of great airmanship played out in a specific example.

You're flying with 50 or 300 people in the back. You've had a complete flame out. You have committed yourself to a runway. You end up high (which was probably the right side to err on).

I consider good airmanship in this moment to be safely landing on the runway. An additional benefit of slipping is the fact that you don't commit yourself nearly as much to the drag you are bringing on as you do when you start going full dirty.

I have personally slipped the crj in the sim. Why? Because my sim instructor wanted us to realize that despite all the extra crap, the airplane is still nothing more than an airplane. Hence my frustration with those who think it can not perform aerodynamically because it has people in the back.

And by the way, in the crj at low speed and 100% slip you will initiate a snap roll. However you can sense the loss of aileron effectiveness and adjust.

If you have a dual flameout in real life, you do whatever you have to do. Slipping a CRJ sim.......BFD. Slipping a jet or tprop in real life, on final, to get down?....you've already screwed up. Go-around & do it again.

I can't believe some of you fly passengers.

Latest resources

Back