Just like a 150...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SSDD

Landing in Denver yesterday next a UAX Dash 8, all of a sudden the thing turns sideways, I thought they'd had an engine failure and were going to lose control! Then I realized THEY WERE IN A FULL FORWARD SLIP!!!! Are you effing kidding me? I bet those pax really enjoyed that ride...

A dash 8 isn't even a swept wing. Slip or go-around and waste a hundred bucks in fuel? It's nice to know that there are some pilots out there who still know how to fly an airplane.

What amazes me is when you fly in a small plane with a "big" plane pilot. I flew with one heavy captain who took off the cessna with zero crosswind correction in 15kt winds...

t-tail airplane. No biggie. I have to agree, many regional pilots have NO idea what a slip is, or how to make a simple crosswind landing. 250-hour schools being taught by 250-hour pilots. Garbage in- garbage out.

The DHC-8 is a beast. I seem to remember "riding the elevator" which did not involve a forward slip but may have been a better maneuver to get down. But fear not, SSDD, the mighty Dash can handle just about anything, as long as speed is not a concern.

I'm not saying the airplane or the crew can't handle it, but we are in the passenger comfort business. So while fun for the crew, it can't be very comforting to the average passenger.

I'm not saying the airplane or the crew can't handle it, but we are in the passenger comfort business. So while fun for the crew, it can't be very comforting to the average passenger.

Ahh come on man.. Do you think grandma in 4a would have been closer to a heart attack seeing the runway for a few seconds or going around? Grandma did just fine.

I'm just annoyed by all the guys (fo and captain) who seem to never overcome the fact that the airplane (all of it) is completely under their control. My soapbox statement: it's an airplane... fly it.

Latest resources

Back