• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Just like a 150...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Uh yeah.. So long as they were above the altitude they are required to be stabilized by their manuals I see no issue. I understand that grandma may not understand the aerodynamics behind the forward slip, but I'm surprised it is seen as an extreme maneuver by any pilot who should understand the aerodynamics of it.

Tell me this, do you know why it is not a good idea in a swept wing?

Landing in Denver yesterday next a UAX Dash 8, all of a sudden the thing turns sideways, I thought they'd had an engine failure and were going to lose control! Then I realized THEY WERE IN A FULL FORWARD SLIP!!!! Are you effing kidding me? I bet those pax really enjoyed that ride...

A few years ago I watched a A340 enter a slip on short final landing on 25L LAX. I couldn't believe my eyes.

Scott

I like the de-crab technique for the jet, particularly if I have been working with skanky flight attendants...

As a passenger I'd feel a lot safer riding a plane with a pilot who knows how to control his plane, not just a button pusher, also being in a Dash 8 doing a side sleep, would probably made my day.

Uh yeah.. So long as they were above the altitude they are required to be stabilized by their manuals I see no issue. I understand that grandma may not understand the aerodynamics behind the forward slip, but I'm surprised it is seen as an extreme maneuver by any pilot who should understand the aerodynamics of it.

Tell me this, do you know why it is not a good idea in a swept wing?

There's aerodynamics and there's good airmanship. I'm truly amazed to hear of people doing forward slips in a transport airplane. Extreme? No. Crappy piloting? Yes.

A forward slip is totally unnecessary in a turboprop airplane. So much drag can be generated by the propellers that I suspect in a Dash 8 you would be descending at 2000+ FPM at flight idle, landing flaps, and Vref speed. Dash pilots, chime in.

If these pilots were truly doing a forward slip, they must have had some power applied or their descent rate would have been precipitous.

Also, why would you need to do anything to increase drag on a 10,000 foot runway in a Dash?

I have not seen any evidence in this thread that this was a revenue flight so let us forget "ganny".

The drag created by two 13 foot pie plates mated to the wing at flight idle was awe inspiring.

Dash Program Manager was my check airman for my type ride. He was probably the finest dash 8 driver anyone could ever encounter. He could make it dance...Samba, Waltz, Cha-Cha, Makarena, Gangnam style.

In training, he did not expect perfection, just the use of basic airmanship skills that could be used to resolve the mess that you put yourself in. And the mighty Dash 8 could do anything that a Cessna 150 could and better. And he wanted to see that you could do it before he handed you a type rating in it. Confidence building for you, clear conscience for him. Nothing radical; he could make her dance, he wanted to make sure you could at least make her curtsy.

And what better time to do it, going into Denver, during the daylight hours, with 10,000+ feet of room to correct!

I'm just glad the guy knows how to control an airplane. There are so many people on the line who takeoff disregarding aerodynamics by failing to put in crosswind correction and yanking the plane off the ground, then wallow back and forth during the climbout because they are not looking out side or just have a equilibrium that is out of sync, then focus all their attention on that stupid little banana bar even if it runs them into a mountain.

Airmanship is comprised of both professionalism and being able to control your airplane with YOUR hands and feet.

Lastly, for those who think they would never perform a slip in a transport category airplane, do you realize that is how you land in a crosswind?

Latest resources

Back