• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Just got furloughed from dayjet!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I believe only about 25 or so were pilots of the 100. When the situation I detailed occured, we shut down the one entire state operation of 7 states. It had a union but was one of the two states with one. Unfortunately, our contracts had priced us out of being comptetitive. In Dayjets recent terminations, most had not been with the company a year. Let me give you a specific example that happens all the time in business. We have two salesmen and we have to let one go. One has been here longer but the other is twice as productive. Which one do you think is going? In Dayjets case, the reason was communicated and obvious. While I don't mind or condemn your battle for some kind of fairness, the fact is that someone has to make tough decisions on behalf of the companies health. In many companies and in many industries in this country, people compete for jobs, people have to produce in order to keep jobs, and the date of hire means little. Florida is an employed at will state and has no criteria for layoffs. In fact, you are not laid off or furloughed, you are terminated.

So much for those mathematical calculations eventually it comes down to money in has to be more than money out. You don't need a MBA to figure that out.

Huh? That makes no sense whatsoever. Where do you come up with all this non-union propaganda? It's quite comical.

Let me see if I understand you correctly.

You are saying when survival of the company is at stake, the best interest of Dayjet is to keep the pilots that have been there the longest (by senority) which a CBA would force.

I'm saying that a CBA would prevent Dayjet from hand picking the best possible employees from the existing work force to keep the company afloat.

You believe that's comical.

I believe it's survival of the fittest.

B19,
We go round and round with you on this issue. There has to be a moral responsibility from mgt when things go bad. The reason they are in the pickle anyway was mgt had bit off more than they could chew by trying to grow too fast in an unknown market. They also put all the eggs in a basket thinking they were going to get a huge influx of investment money. The ole don't count your chickens before they hatch statement comes to mind.
By picking and choosing who they keep and not using a last in first out policy like a CBA would make them do -who are they keeping? Pilots that will bend or break rules for the company? What it does for those who did not get sent home start to think-"Oh crap" when is it going to be my turn? They start looking for other jobs. That is the one thing the company does not need is to lose pilots in a plane where there are very few trained pilots. Now they would have to recruit and retrain new pilots.
I talk to the dayjet pilots alot and the company did do some smart things like let all the IT dept go as it can be easily outsourced. Many of the Dayport attendants were let go-personally-I think they all can go and the pilots can walk their own passengers to the plane.
I do agree with you that DayJet could not survive a union. They best way to keep a union out is to treat the employees fairly and with respect. A company that abuses employees always has a tough time filling vacancy with qualified people. The DayJet downsize is nothing more than a poor business plan from mgt. The only thing that makes me smile is.. at least he has a bunch of his own money tied up in it....

Last edited:
Unfortunately, unlike the "salesman" mentioned above, "productive" pilots are often the ones willing to circumvent safety procedures and regulations to "fly the mission" not saying this is the case at DayJet, but it can be a dangerous trend.

First of all, a corporations first reponsibility is to survive the market to do business another day. Businesses like Dayjet take a long time to get up and running. Things like fleet selection, purchasing, and adding take time, usually three or four years. In the case of Dayjet who was developing a software package that had never been tried before, the process for IT alone took three years.
It is not unusal at all for companies like this to do many rounds of financing. Eclipse has had a number of different rounds. Safire, another VLJ start up did 2, spent $26.0m and then could not find a partner for more. End of Safire.
While many will claim to have seen the current downturn coming and the fuel situtation getting worse, 5 years ago when Dayjet started, most would have predicted a strong growth period.
Did they make mistakes, of course. The Eclipse set them back a period of time. They could have just made deals with FBO's to do the customer service rather than have everything themselves (they even supply GPU's) rather than spending the IT money at each location.
As I pointed out earlier, most of the comments here relate to an airline environment and that was not the objective of Dayjet. They are creating a different kind of company and business plan. With the sudden ramp up, they may have hired some people that they did not think would fit after being on board some time. From watching how they operate and how they act, I am positive that they were not cutting corners but going overboard the other way. A new company like this fully understood that they can not afford any misteps.

First of all, a corporations first reponsibility is to survive the market to do business another day. Businesses like Dayjet take a long time to get up and running. Things like fleet selection, purchasing, and adding take time, usually three or four years. In the case of Dayjet who was developing a software package that had never been tried before, the process for IT alone took three years.
It is not unusal at all for companies like this to do many rounds of financing. Eclipse has had a number of different rounds. Safire, another VLJ start up did 2, spent $26.0m and then could not find a partner for more. End of Safire.
While many will claim to have seen the current downturn coming and the fuel situtation getting worse, 5 years ago when Dayjet started, most would have predicted a strong growth period.
Did they make mistakes, of course. The Eclipse set them back a period of time. They could have just made deals with FBO's to do the customer service rather than have everything themselves (they even supply GPU's) rather than spending the IT money at each location.
As I pointed out earlier, most of the comments here relate to an airline environment and that was not the objective of Dayjet. They are creating a different kind of company and business plan. With the sudden ramp up, they may have hired some people that they did not think would fit after being on board some time. From watching how they operate and how they act, I am positive that they were not cutting corners but going overboard the other way. A new company like this fully understood that they can not afford any misteps.

Correct. Dayjet is already expanding within Florida and it's clear that they've redirected the business plan. They are taking the best they have and are going to concentrate on it.

A CBA would have prevented that.

Latest resources

Back