• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Just got furloughed from dayjet!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
First of all, not many people had much seniority in the first place. First come-first served is a fundamental rule of fairness whether it's a ticket or a job. So when you have to buy something you don't bother holding your place in line, huh? After all the people behind you arrived about the same time, right? :rolleyes: Second, they did not explain the why and wherefore so we are being critical without knowing the reasons. Not explaining is, in and of itself, a problem. The employees deserved better treatment. ... I do not know why this post is even on the fractional board because they certainly are not a fractional operation in any sense. Here we go again...sigh. Your business blinders prevent you from seeing the human element of the situation. There's a good chance that some of the pilots will apply to fractional companies--reason enough. Perhaps the furloughed pilots are looking for moral support? I like to think the fractional forum is seen as a friendly, supportive place to all pilots. This is not an airline and like NJW's NJ, :confused: mine? That's not fair to all the hardworking NJ pilots posting here. they have created a business model that is new in all aspects. That doesn't excuse them from doing the right thing by their employees. Did they keep only captains, ones at certain bases, whatever. The methodology should have been explained; at the very least to those involved, if not publicly. Does it really matter if you are one let go how they did it. Yes, it does. It's bad enough without wondering if you were a victim of the good old boy network. As their press release said, it is impossible for companies like this to raise money right now. This is what happened to Adam Aircraft, to Javalin, and to many others.

Mistreating employees is a practice seen far too often in aviation when managers fail to do their job with the same high degree of accountability they demand from the pilots on every flight. Considering that double standard, every word of censure from the pilots is understandable.

Do you know anyone in this situation that has been mistreated. One of my good friends at Dayjet who was not a pilot was one of the people laid off. He does not feel mistreated. They are a startup company trying to accomplish something. They hit a roadblock along the way. Ed has millions of his own money in this company and has worked tirelessly to make it work. While you may feel that seniority is some type of blessed procedure, it only exists in union operations. The explanation is pretty clear: we did not get the funding necessary to continue expansion.
What gets me is you think I cannot see the human side of the equation. I was once forced to shut down a companies entire state operation. It was especially painful as it was the state where the company had been founded and had many 3nd and 3rd generation employees. It was traumatic but necessary for the long term health of the company. We worked through it the best we could, referred people to other companies in the same business, and gave them severance based on years. It was so painful, I left the company that had been my career and started on a new path.
My point here is we do not really know what criteria they used in determining anything except a poster said he thinks they ignored seniority. That simply is not enough information. We do not even know how many were pilots.

Blah Blah Blah

Defending what's going on is pretty dumb. Layoffs out of seniority are simply wrong.

Do you know anyone in this situation that has been mistreated. Obviously Skyrider feels mistreated. Based on the reactions from pilots on the thread it's a good bet that other DayJet pilots share the opinion they were treated badly. One of my good friends at Dayjet who was not a pilot was one of the people laid off. He does not feel mistreated. I've noticed that you usually view things from a management perspective. They are a startup company trying to accomplish something. They hit a roadblock along the way. Ed has millions of his own money in this company and has worked tirelessly to make it work. The pilots invested skill and time; I'm sure they worked hard for success, too. While you may feel that seniority is some type of blessed procedure, Actually, our society runs on a system of fairness that we're all familiar with. We line up. The first one there gets served first. It's not a blessing...:rolleyes: it's a basic concept to ensure fair treatment. it only exists in union operations. Unions guarantee the rules are followed, but other companies use them voluntarily when they care about treating workers right. The explanation is pretty clear: we did not get the funding necessary to continue expansion. What gets me is you think I cannot see the human side of the equation. Your reputation precedes you and your current posting maintains it. I was once forced to shut down a companies entire state operation. It was especially painful as it was the state where the company had been founded and had many 3nd and 3rd generation employees. It was traumatic but necessary for the long term health of the company. That does sound awful. I respectfully suggest that you bring that past empathy to your current viewpoints regarding pilots who post here. We worked through it the best we could, referred people to other companies in the same business, and gave them severance based on years. In other words management used a seniority system. Was it a union company? Or one that just cared about treating the workers fairly? It was so painful, I left the company that had been my career and started on a new path. I'm sorry things didn't work out better for you. My point here is we do not really know what criteria they used in determining anything except a poster said he thinks they ignored seniority. That simply is not enough information. We do not even know how many were pilots.

My point is the lack of information is evidence of treating employees wrong. Had they cared about fairness the workforce would have received oral and/or written communications explaining the necessity for the furloughs and the method used to ensure they were done fairly.

I (and most who post here) instinctively look at situations from the perspective of the pilots. You typically see things from a management viewpoint. (Is that because you work in management?) Thus, it's not surprising that we frequently have differing opinions. NJW

Any reason? Or failure to meet probationary standards? The latter is the phrase I've heard my husband use.

Like Imacdog, I expect workers to be treated fairly. First come, first served is such a wide-spread practice in our society that we look for it to be used in situations where we expect people to receive even-handed treatment.

Now she's an expert on DayJets. You guys can have her!

Expert on DayJets...:rolleyes: Not at all. I'm merely sympathizing with Skyrider for the way the situation was handled and sharing the opinion of the rest of the pilots posting on the thread who think things sound unfair. Interesting that you singled me out...:erm: I was warned by a NJ pilot that I'll probably run into gender bias here. Fortunately, it is the exception and not the rule.

The layoffs came about because DayJet was unable to secure $40 million in financing needed to continue their expansion. They had been hiring based on the assumption that they would get that capital infusion. That's why there were want ads out as little as a few days ago.

As expected, DayJet executives are talking around the issue as best they can. They can downplay the issue all they want, but if DayJet couldn't convince investors to plow another $40 million into the operation, then I wonder what those investors know that we don't?

http://www.businessweek.com/lifesty...?chan=top+news_top+news+index_news+++analysis
What they know is that with petroleum costs skyrocketing, aviation is a poor investment.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back