Just got furloughed from dayjet!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Blah Blah Blah

Defending what's going on is pretty dumb. Layoffs out of seniority are simply wrong.
I'm no expert on Dayjet, but from what I've read, they are take pride in being a new, innovative company that is not looking to do things just because "that's the way they've always been done" in aviation.

Therefore, it should come as no surprise that they do not adhere to certain conventions of the rest of the industry, such as "seniority" being inviolate. Dayjet is a non-union operation and may believe that it is in their best interest to retain according to merit, not seniority.

Not to pour salt on the wound, but as I recall from my interview with DayJet in April 08, the HR lady was quick to point out that DayJet does not in fact uses a seniority system. So to expect one out of thin air when it comes time to layoff is not entirely reasonable when one accepted the job knowing such is the fact.

However, I do think that laying off NOT in the order of hired or level of expertise (check airmen to be booted?!) is very bad manner!

As far as IF there are some sort of shenanigans going on with management, I cannot comment for sure. But bear two facts in mind:
1) The credit market is very very tight. Recovering from Billions of poor investments in the housing market, the banks are trying to stop the bleeding wherever and whenever they can. This lack of credit has put a few airlines out of business already (among other factors). Myself is a victim of this condition (Aloha Airlines).
2) DayJet's business plan, like Netjets, in order to be efficient, MUST be able to blanket the regions that it serves. This help reduces "dead-head" cost of repositioning flights, and provides customers with quick and reliable services. What good would taxis be if you cannot stand on the side of the curb and expect one to come by within 5 minutes?

It stands to reason then DayJet might have to shrink its service area in order to provide the frequency and reliability that serves by half the fleet. This of course, will turn some customers away. Its fair to say that Dayjet better find some capital, PRONTO!

This is terrible timing to start an aviation company (as there is actually no Ideal time!). Quoting from Warren Buffett's 2007 Berkshire's Annual Report:

Now let’s move to the gruesome. The worst sort of business is one that grows rapidly, requires
significant capital to engender the growth, and then earns little or no money. Think airlines. Here a
durable competitive advantage has proven elusive ever since the days of the Wright Brothers. Indeed, if a farsighted capitalist had been present at Kitty Hawk, he would have done his successors a huge favor by shooting Orville down.

The airline industry’s demand for capital ever since that first flight has been insatiable. Investors
have poured money into a bottomless pit, attracted by growth when they should have been repelled by it. And I, to my shame, participated in this foolishness when I had Berkshire buy U.S. Air preferred stock in 1989. As the ink was drying on our check, the company went into a tailspin, and before long our preferred dividend was no longer being paid. But we then got very lucky. In one of the recurrent, but always misguided, bursts of optimism for airlines, we were actually able to sell our shares in 1998 for a hefty gain. In the decade following our sale, the company went bankrupt. Twice.

To sum up, think of three types of “savings accounts.” The great one pays an extraordinarily high interest rate that will rise as the years pass. The good one pays an attractive rate of interest that will be earned also on deposits that are added. Finally, the gruesome account both pays an inadequate interest rate and requires you to keep adding money at those disappointing returns.

Lady no one cares what your husband does. you are not a pilot get off of here and clean the house!!!

Please refrain yourself from leaving the REGIONAL portion of this site! Plus, what makes you think she is really a wife anyways?

Last edited:
Expert on DayJets...:rolleyes: Not at all. I'm merely sympathizing with Skyrider for the way the situation was handled and sharing the opinion of the rest of the pilots posting on the thread who think things sound unfair. Interesting that you singled me out...:erm: I was warned by a NJ pilot that I'll probably run into gender bias here. Fortunately, it is the exception and not the rule.

Gender bias? How did you come up with gender bias? Making a derogatory remark about your gender never crossed my mind because it's irrelevant. I guess it fits your M.O., though - always the victim. Anyway, you were sympathizing with Skyrider in your first post - even though it included your usual union plug. Now you're just trying to tell everyone how it is or should be at DayJet when you have no clue - you haven't worked there or walked a mile in their shoes. Not sure what you're trying to accomplish.

To the DayJet folks out there - sorry to hear about the turn of events. I've talked to a few of your pilots in BCT and they seemed to enjoy it there. I wish you all the best of luck.

First of all publishers, although you seem to know quite a bit about the industry in general, you are missing the point. At dayjet pilots report to a non pilot base manager not to a chief pilot like everywhere else. This individual at BCT along with other non pilot management types, decided who got the boot, which included myself and two other check airmen who had been with the company since last summer, while guys who i just trained in the sim last month still have a job. Thats unfair any which way you look at it, word going around is that in my case i expressed my concern about our lack of a payscale and no plans on giving us raises anytime soon. Mind you that I only expressed that to other pilots i flew with while in the cockpit and while hanging out with them, which leads me to think that some big mouthed pro-management rat must have done his thing. If so congrats and just remember that what goes around comes around. Netjets wife thanks for your support and kind words, dont worry about the negative comments some post here about you.

And yes publishers they did lay off completely out of seniority, I was there so i know and close to 30 of the layoffs were pilots. Alot of good guys and very good pilots with lots of experience were cut loose, and all that is gonna do now of course is that those that remain have absolutely no clue what to expect from management, so they will now be afraid to write up airplanes, voice any safety concerns regarding equipment or perhaps fatigue and so on.Thats what management wanted unfortunately, no different than any other scumbag aviation outfit.

Gender bias? How did you come up with gender bias? Making a derogatory remark about your gender never crossed my mind because it's irrelevant. I guess it fits your M.O., though - always the victim. Anyway, you were sympathizing with Skyrider in your first post - even though it included your usual union plug. Now you're just trying to tell everyone how it is or should be at DayJet when you have no clue - you haven't worked there or walked a mile in their shoes. Not sure what you're trying to accomplish.

To the DayJet folks out there - sorry to hear about the turn of events. I've talked to a few of your pilots in BCT and they seemed to enjoy it there. I wish you all the best of luck.

Excellent post, though futile toward NJW...she'll never get it...yes, always the victim...couldn't be that she's just an ignoramus in general. Seriously, the sooner you put her on ignore, the higher the iq level gets in here (with a couple random fly-by exceptions).
She is on here 24/7...I kid you not...desperate to make every topic and every thread about her or NetJets.

Excellent post, though futile toward NJW...she'll never get it...yes, always the victim...couldn't be that she's just an ignoramus in general. Seriously, the sooner you put her on ignore, the higher the iq level gets in here (with a couple random fly-by exceptions).
She is on here 24/7...I kid you not...desperate to make every topic and every thread about her or NetJets.

Nice, you and B19 get off on a little lonely wife getting under your skin. Nice. The real point here is a pilot that has been with a company for a while has been laid off, and out of senority, which you seem to think is fine.

You say she will never get it...I say you will never get

First of all publishers, although you seem to know quite a bit about the industry in general, you are missing the point. At dayjet pilots report to a non pilot base manager not to a chief pilot like everywhere else. This individual at BCT along with other non pilot management types, decided who got the boot, which included myself and two other check airmen who had been with the company since last summer, while guys who i just trained in the sim last month still have a job. Thats unfair any which way you look at it, word going around is that in my case i expressed my concern about our lack of a payscale and no plans on giving us raises anytime soon. Mind you that I only expressed that to other pilots i flew with while in the cockpit and while hanging out with them, which leads me to think that some big mouthed pro-management rat must have done his thing. If so congrats and just remember that what goes around comes around. Netjets wife thanks for your support and kind words, dont worry about the negative comments some post here about you.

That sucks any way you look at it. To be honest, you are probably better off leaving a place like that if that is how it treats its senior employees... Consider it a mixed blessing. Plus, there are many better jobs out there - you already have Lear and Falcon time. And now you have good glass experience in an Eclipse. There are plenty of air ambulence Lear jobs out there as an interim position while you look for better.

Sure, it's not the best market but you have some solid experience and a good chance of finding a much better job. Any operator paying $50K for a jet pilot PIC (regardless of the size of the jet) should be avoided. Good luck.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back