• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Junior Positions by Base Combined NWA/DAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You know GL, I have stated the fact that I have no qualms about being bumped by a DAL pilot. I got hired at DAL by choice not by necessity. I was already flying for a legacy before DAL, and decided on DAL because the bases and the A/C. So, yes it does pisssedd me off when I hear NWA pilots talking about how they got screwed, and in the same sentence asking about the ER schedules, DAL bases, etc. Once again, I came to DAL by choice, if I would've thought I was going to be based in a northern base flying god knows what, I would've stayed put. DAL is the best legacy hands down, that's why I am here, and I am not ready to let NWA pilots diminish the great attributes of this airline, and how much better their life is going to be because of DAL. I guess after hearing Whitehurst list all the reasons why merging with NWA would be such a nightmare, it's hard to accept it.

And by the way, of all people I really don't think you are the ideal person to offer some counseling, with your pompous attitude towards just about everybody who doesn't layover in Sao Paulo, or Paris. I find your comments very entertaining, but somebody not as understanding as I am might think you are just a prick.

Happy New Year.

I enjoy my layovers, and have the seniority to get them. Someday you may too. This particular job has options on where you fly and what you fly, and some airlines and their pilots like to brag about certain things, but don't have the same options. I like to point that out sometimes. I usually don't start the disagreements, but I can end them.

As far as what NWA brings to the table and the SLI, it is all over. There is nothing you nor I can do about it. I think we are a better airline now after acquiring NWA. You can dwell on the perceived shortfalls you supposedly received, or you can finally move on. If you were more senior, you might not feel as you do now (I feel I did well overall). That is the way it goes, and like it or not you are now in your current position. You may be bumped off of your equipment (likely by a DL pilot), and you may have to commute. Both of those things happened well before you got here (after 9-11 and also after the BK), and people got through it. At least reserve is better now than after BK (6 short calls vs 8 per month), and we have better jump seat rules---list 2 flights prior rule and get excused, and also ability to use flight attendant jumpseat if empty. We just recently got those improvements, and sometimes it is hard to look at the bright side when the unknown is out there. Who knows? Three years from now you may be an A330 FO in ATL flying to Rio and enjoying it.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
I am not ready to let NWA pilots diminish the great attributes of this airline, and how much better their life is going to be because of DAL.

By doing what - bidding what their senioity can hold?
How are you going to prevent it? Let me guess - you will be one of those little weasles who call the CP and rat out their fellow crew members for not dotting every i or crossing every t? They've seen your kind before.

This airline - all of us - is going to be a much stronger company than either could have been indivdually. We each bring unique strengths and culture to the mix - and that is what it will be - a mix of cultures. If you don't think NWA has a great pilot group you will be suprised. The sooner you get over your xenophobia and corporate racism the happier you will be. We all gained and all lost something in this SLI. Where and how much is in the eyes of the beholder.

For someone who claims to have been in the business a while you seem to have a very little understanding of just how volatile and unpredictable it can be. Fortunes of companies and careers are largely out of your hands, and is more luck and timing than anything. 30 yrs ago there was TWA and PAA and everyone else was an "also ran".

Relax, it's out of your hands, and you have a bright future ahead of you even if it involves a displacement or base move - hopefully it won't. Best to be planning your bidding strategy in both directions - that goes for anyone.

Last edited:
So, yes it does pisssedd me off when I hear NWA pilots talking about how they got screwed, and in the same sentence asking about the ER schedules, DAL bases, etc.

I got the feeling you would not be happy if they made you #2. It still wasn't #1.

Last edited:
Jetjockey and speedbird,

Your attitudes are the reason I cancelled my interview with Delta. Speedbird is too good for a dc-9 and NWA is ruining the new Delta with their bad bases. I feel bad for you. You have to live with yourselves the rest of your lives. Thankfully I only deal with you here and I can turn you off. I feel sorry for you that you are stuck with yourself. You really should get sick when you look at yourself in the mirror. The problem with this industry is people like you that are too good for the 9 or 76 seat jets or 50 seat jets. People like you caused legacy airlines to let regionals do some of the legacy flying for half price. I guess since the 9 is junk let Compass fly it for half of what NWA pays. Lets just fly 767 & 777. Tool. I don't care what the hell I fly as long as I get payed well and I get a good lifestyle. Really listen to yourself and that will answer why other airline people don't want anything to do with Delta. I didn't.

PS How about them Bengals winning 3 in a row!!! Who Dey!!!

Jetjockey and speedbird,

Your attitudes are the reason I cancelled my interview with Delta. Speedbird is too good for a dc-9 and NWA is ruining the new Delta with their bad bases. I feel bad for you. You have to live with yourselves the rest of your lives. Thankfully I only deal with you here and I can turn you off. I feel sorry for you that you are stuck with yourself. You really should get sick when you look at yourself in the mirror. The problem with this industry is people like you that are too good for the 9 or 76 seat jets or 50 seat jets. People like you caused legacy airlines to let regionals do some of the legacy flying for half price. I guess since the 9 is junk let Compass fly it for half of what NWA pays. Lets just fly 767 & 777. Tool. I don't care what the hell I fly as long as I get payed well and I get a good lifestyle. Really listen to yourself and that will answer why other airline people don't want anything to do with Delta. I didn't.

PS How about them Bengals winning 3 in a row!!! Who Dey!!!

You make no sense to me. I do not know what hole you just crawled out of dude. Please go back into your damp hole and keep on fooling yourself!;)

I agree with the General. When they move the 88's and ER out of ATL it will be Pre-merger DAL guys that will down bid to work where they live that displace the bottom 300-400 from ATL.

First off - don't believe it until I see it.
Second - shouldnt you rephrase and say "When they move SOME of the 88s and ERs out of ATL..."?

Knowing this company and how they love to avoid training costs I would think they would avoid displacements and the associated training/moving costs as much as possible. We may see them post a bid for a new category, ie., 747 ATL, see who bids it hoping it's current 747 drivers, look at the results and award the bid if it minimizes training/moving costs. Why pay to retrain/move people if you can fill a category without it? Instead of closing current base categories they may be right-sized through lack of backfill while the new bases and categories are opened.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back