• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jumpseating and the forward lav....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You are ONLY checked in CASS just is case you have to sit up front. When you are sitting in the back, you have to follow the rules of any normal pax. FA's "jump" all the time, and there is no CASS for them. They sit in the back and follow the rules as any normal passenger.

She prob told you that because you were in the way and she didn't want to talk to you. Take a hint and move yourself to the back. You were out of line if you pressed the issue and lecture her on how you felt entitled to stand there and talk to her. Why on earth did you feel the need to go hang out and stand outside of the cockpit in uniform?

Split nailed it in the first response. Many times the FAs just want their space....when there's very little of that to be had anywhere.

Yes, we are guests. But we are also ACM, or additional crew members. I didn't argue with anyone. She wanted me there. YOU are one of the ones who doesn't seem to understand the question. I just want to know if it's legal. If you don't know the answer, changing the subject won't help anything.

The only reason I mentioned I was in uniform was because it would not make the passengers think it was okay to break the rules. Why does this seem so difficult to answer?

Honestly, because, you are posting on "SLIGHT INFO". Aptly named,I believe,for the slight amount of info that is actually reaped from this board.

You have no "right" to stand where ever you please inside an aircraft being non compliant with a crew member request whether in uniform or not.

Clear enough?

To my knowledge there has been no test case. So, you have three options.

1) Ask FAA counsel for the legal interpretation?

2) Assuming you WANT to be the test case, just insist that you are crew and dare the the F/A to report it? Your argument will face several levels of scrutiny.

The county where the plane landed and they arrested you. (local charges)
The FBI (federal charges)
The FAA (certificate action)
The company giving you a ride (banned from JSing/nonrevving on them again)
Your company (whether you lose JS/nonrev PRIVILEGES altogether and/or your job)
Your colleagues who will think you're a complete moron.

You may well find that the FAA feels you are crewmember and are absolutely entitled to loiter in the galley but, it will likely be after disposition of all the other inquests - none of which may have any bearing on the others.

3) Apologize, smile, and move.

Personally, even if I had a positive interpretation of the rule, I'd still stick with option 3. This industry may be big - but not THAT big.

Discretion is the better part of valor.

So,
Let's say I'm jumpseating on someone's airline, in uniform, and they have a seat for me in the back. I walk up front to talk to the flight attendant, and she tells me I can't stand there. I replied that I am considered crew, and it's only passengers that cannot stand and wait for the forward lav. I said that if it made her uncomfortable, I would gladly move. So, my question is, who was right?

Now, if you think the FA was right, that's fine. My only question is, why can I ride in the cockpit, but can't stand outside of it? Can I stand outside of it, in the galley area for a few minutes while actually riding in the cockpit? Why or why not? Do flight attendants realize that pilots riding in the back, if CASS checked, are qualified to ride up front in the cockpit? Do they know we are considered additional crewmembers? They seem to know we cannot have alcohol while jumpseating, so doesn't that mean we are crew?

Just curious as to what others think of the situation. Thanks.

Dude, do you work for Frontier?

Because the exact same thing happened to me yesterday. It was kinda' eerie after reading this thread. We had two OAL jumpseaters (a Frontier guy and a XJet gal) who introduced themselves and sat in the back. After the flight, the 'A' FA came up to me and told me an almost identical story. The Frontier guy came up to use the forward lav, and it was occupied. The FA told him it was occupied, and that he could use the rear lav. He said, and she quoted, "that's okay, I'll just wait here." She said he wasn't supposed to, and in response, he gave her an exasperated look and waved his hand down at his uniform to apparently indicate that it was "okay for him to be there." She told him that she had just told another passenger that he couldn't wait up there, and she thought it would be a bad example if she let him wait. She said that he just stared at her for a few seconds, shook his head and walked off. The whole thing left her feeling uncomfortable; enough so that she felt she needed to talk to me about it.

So I guess my take on the whole situation is, the legal situation may still be up in the air, but on the other hand, if you piss off, creep out, or otherwise reflect badly upon yourself to a host crewmember, then you're wrong. Every time.

Bubba

don't try that at RAH cause we don't like ******************************s like you... take your punk ass to the back then sit the ******************** down and shut the ******************** up.
Thank you come again...

don't try that at RAH cause we don't like ******************************s like you... take your punk ass to the back then sit the ******************** down and shut the ******************** up.
Thank you come again...

Oh whatever you pencil dicked little bitch. Shut up and go suck CMs dick some more.

It's weird and awkward, and not your place, can you move.? That's is the last place I would think of "hanging out" when jumpseating in uniform. I have never seen anyone else do it either.
Take your pis when boarding starts, sit down and grab a nap, you're there.

You are not a crewmember. The term "Additional Crew Member/ACM" is an airline term. Once outside the cockpit you are simply another passenger as far as the rules regarding standing in the forward cabin since you have no training or qualifications with that carrier. Most OpSpecs will refer to the OAL jumpseater as personnel.

Latest resources

Back