• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue upgrade time?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow... Sorry but to my warped AA mind used to 21 year junior CA upgrades, a 3 year upgrade is amazing!

Signed, a 14-year AA pilot still 2000 #s away from jr CA ( another 5 years to go minimum)

It does blow my mind to think about the AA situation and 20+ year upgrades! I hope those retirements get cranking soon and you can get into the left seat.

On the bright side, your widebody FO pay is probably the same as (or better than) our A320 CA pay

Junior,190 captain is 1944 system wide last bid. I'll bet it won't go that junior this time around. People will see the big bid and go Ok! I'm getting closer to 190 captain line holder, I'll take the upgrade now. I'm senior to $$$4nothin by about a month, and I think it'll get to me sometime late next year. Whether or not I take it is still a question mark. No way in hell would I take RSV bus captain, but I might consider it on the 190.

We'll see.

No matter what airline employs you, projected upgrade times are always subject to change. One can only predict so much, and in this industry timing has a lot to do with it. Unfortunately, timing is something that cannot be controlled. However, one can try to take advantage of it, if given the right circumstances. Regardless, we're all rolling the dice in this profession.

No matter what airline employs you, projected upgrade times are always subject to change. One can only predict so much, and in this industry timing has a lot to do with it. Unfortunately, timing is something that cannot be controlled. However, one can try to take advantage of it, if given the right circumstances. Regardless, we're all rolling the dice in this profession.

Right on

I am 1508 at the company and can hold the most junior line (non RSV)in both JFK and BOS in the 190. I believe we will lose 10 to 15 senior 190 Captains to recall at Delta and AA over the next 12 months. Additionally I believe another 5 or 10 senior 190 captains will move to the left seat of the 320 as they can hold lines. As of today we still have an additional 190 coming this year and only one scheduled for delivery in 2014. I have heard from the chief pilots that we are considering based on the outcome of the AA / US Airways merger taking an additional 4 to 5 190 aircraft in 2014.

JetBlue currently has roughly 190 aircraft 130 320's and 60 190's on property as of today JetBlue has an additional 85 aircraft coming over the next 7 to 8 years mostly A320 NEO and 321's. We staff the airline at about 6.7 crews per aircraft. That number may go up to 7 crews per aircraft due to 117 rules.

My prediction when all deliveries are in approximately 2020 you will need a global seniority number of 1200 to hold a line in the 320/321 and quite possibly a global number of 1800 to hold the line in the 190

Infinity.
In all seriousness it will be a decade + for a new-hire to hold captain.
Over-Under of B6 being ticker JBLU in 10+ years.........

Infinity.
In all seriousness it will be a decade + for a new-hire to hold captain.
Over-Under of B6 being ticker JBLU in 10+ years.........

Very interesting prediction. I read the same prediction the day I hit the line at JB 2.5 years ago. Then I heard it again when the seniority calculator came out. Captain went to less than 3 years in the last bid. There is going to be massive attrition at JB, recalls going back, 85 airplanes on order, a couple retirements, guys medicaling out due to working 20 days a month and living in crash pads. I would be willing to bet you are way off on your number. By about 4-6 years or so. Oh don't forget the fact that most Airbus guys will have nothing to do with the 190. Keep throwing out the 10-18 year upgrade number I always hear though. It amuses me every time.

I do agree with your over under though. I don't believe JBLU will exist in 10 years. What happens to us pilots will depend on how smart we can get as a group.

Last edited:
Very interesting prediction. I read the same prediction the day I hit the line at JB 2.5 years ago. Then I heard it again when the seniority calculator came out. Captain went to less than 3 years in the last bid. There is going to be massive attrition at JB, recalls going back, 85 airplanes on order, a couple retirements, guys medicaling out due to working 20 days a month and living in crash pads. I would be willing to bet you are way off on your number. By about 4-6 years or so. Oh don't forget the fact that most Airbus guys will have nothing to do with the 190. Keep throwing out the 10-18 year upgrade number I always hear though. It amuses me every time.

I do agree with your over under though. I don't believe JBLU will exist in 10 years. What happens to us pilots will depend on how smart we can get as a group.

I disagree. It will be longer than 4 to 6 years to hold captain. Add in an adverse macro economic cycle we are about due for in the next 2-3 years. Yep. Enjoy the pine.

Latest resources

Back