JetBlue upgrade time?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aa73

What is the current upgrade time, Blue dudes? I ask b/c a buddy of mine was hired there back in 2005 and upgraded to A320 CA in 2010. Still the case?

What is the current upgrade time, Blue dudes? I ask b/c a buddy of mine was hired there back in 2005 and upgraded to A320 CA in 2010. Still the case?

Most junior 190 was hired about 3 years ago.
Most junior 320 was Jan 2007.

I'm here 6 1/2 years and cannot hold 320 CA yet. I also have 16 more years just to break 1000 seniority number. That's 21 years to junior line-holding 320 CA. Aircraft deliveries may improve these numbers slightly. But our retirement numbers are abysmal.

Attrition is a certainty and will also improve these numbers. I'm sure they'll fix everything then...:rolleyes:

Most junior 190 was hired about 3 years ago.
Most junior 320 was Jan 2007.

I'm here 6 1/2 years and cannot hold 320 CA yet. I also have 16 more years just to break 1000 seniority number. That's 21 years to junior line-holding 320 CA. Aircraft deliveries may improve these numbers slightly. But our retirement numbers are abysmal.

Attrition is a certainty and will also improve these numbers. I'm sure they'll fix everything then...:rolleyes:

You could always come over to the 190 or does it have to be a bus?

I was hired Jan '07 and I'm around 1480 of approximately 2500. I just bypassed upgrade on the bus for the first time. I have about 350 fo's still senior to me.

As far as the 190 goes. I spent 4 years on that POS and I won't go back to it even though I could hold a line as capt. It does go junior though, I think around 1800 or so system wide.

So doing the math. At least 700 capt slots would have to open up to hold junior capt on the 190. We have VERY FEW retirements so those would have to come from growth.

Good luck, I would only come here and start at the bottom if I was young or unemployed.

Last edited:
Junior 190ca went 1950ish.

Just about the three year mark for those guys.

Thx guys. I'm a little confused...you say you can hold it, but yet you say it'll be years from now? Not following.

So if I understand - anyone hired today would hold 190 CA in about 3 years, in 2016....and 320 CA in 7 years, around 2019? Fair guess?

Thx guys. I'm a little confused...you say you can hold it, but yet you say it'll be years from now? Not following.

So if I understand - anyone hired today would hold 190 CA in about 3 years, in 2016....and 320 CA in 7 years, around 2019? Fair guess?

Jetblue went through a big growth phase several years ago, the forward projections based on purely aircraft deliveries and retirements don't show enough growth for the upgrade to remain at 7 years like it is today for the A320. As with anything, it is impossible to know the future. We could see a spike in attrition or big aircraft order.

But for those who were hired 7 years ago they can hold A320 CA, and hired 3 years ago can hold E190 CA.

Another bid should be coming out this week. So in 10-14 days from now some mores recent numbers will be out. Most are guessing 190 will go to 2.5 years or so and bus should stay around 7 years. Growth is still happening at a decent rate. However most of next years growth is airbus so I would guess 190 upgrade will start to creep up as the years go on and the bus will stay around 7. Attrition/recalls is the big unknown. Lets just say a lot of people pass up upgrade. Commuting to reserve as a Captain at JB is a horrible experience from what I see from the guys that seem to live in my crash pad. I will most likely be passing up upgrade for the first time next week. O7/2011 hire.

Last edited:
Wow... Sorry but to my warped AA mind used to 21 year junior CA upgrades, a 3 year upgrade is amazing!

Signed, a 14-year AA pilot still 2000 #s away from jr CA ( another 5 years to go minimum)

Latest resources

Back