• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue to Make Major News Announcement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am currently listening to the conference call and they did say that the ERJ 190 will be flown by jetblue pilots. He said the pay rate will be lower, but said the 190 captain will make more than the A320 First Officer. Didn't say how much and that the salaries were still being defined. I would imagine it would be based on a ratio, 160 seats vs 100 seats (this part is my interpretation).

The important thing is that they are continuing to take orders on the A320 and that this is in addition to the previous A320 orders.

It sounds like new hires will have the opportunity to bid either aircraft based on seniority when the aircraft arrive. Obviously the 320 would be the most logical choice (more pay) but the 190 would offer much quicker upgrades...

I think this is great news. Adds much more cities....

What about JB's business model?

Last night on CNBC, JB's CEO said one of the main reasons his company was enjoying profits in todays economy was their cost structure. One point being low maintenance costs (beat to death here on this board many times), and another being a common fleet type in the A320. Meanwhile, Dave Seigel of U was sitting next to him, green with envy.

So why break away from your business model and add another fleet type to the equation? Training, parts, new airplane bugs, etc...., will certainly be an additional cost, unless of course, Embraer is just giving the things away.

And what about the A318's? Smaller, efficient, and common in type. This seems like the better choice for a variety of reasons, unless of course you're just pissed at the French.:mad:

Is it possible that JB wants to grow exponentially, and Airbus just couldn't deliver?

Re: What about JB's business model?

CoopDog said:

So why break away from your business model and add another fleet type to the equation? Training, parts, new airplane bugs, etc...., will certainly be an additional cost, unless of course, Embraer is just giving the things away.

I was wondering the same thing myself. Why screw with a profitable working model if it's not broke?

You'd think JB management would contract out the flying to the lowest bidder.

Re: Re: What about JB's business model?

Boeingman said:
I was wondering the same thing myself. Why screw with a profitable working model if it's not broke?

Goodness, Boeingman! I respect pessimists as a rule, (seeing how I am one and all) but don't you think it's a tad bit early to be speculating to this degree? At least let them give details before you predict what part of the sky is falling.

We have seen how flow-through agreements work in this industry, now let's wait and see what happens when people get what they say they want (an integrated seniority list from the beginning). It should no doubt be interesting.

If it were anybody other than this management team, I'd scoff. I've been severely disappointed thus far waiting for the "other shoe to drop", so we'll see.

Respectfully,

JayDub

Does that make them "Jungle Jet Blue"???:D :D :D

Re: Re: Re: What about JB's business model?

JayDub said:
Goodness, Boeingman! I respect pessimists as a rule, (seeing how I am one and all) but don't you think it's a tad bit early to be speculating to this degree? At least let them give details before you predict what part of the sky is falling.

We have seen how flow-through agreements work in this industry, now let's wait and see what happens when people get what they say they want (an integrated seniority list from the beginning). It should no doubt be interesting.

If it were anybody other than this management team, I'd scoff. I've been severely disappointed thus far waiting for the "other shoe to drop", so we'll see.

Respectfully,

JayDub

Why are all you JB guys so spring loaded? I made a simple observation that you have a succesfull business plan and it has worked to date. You don't have to have Nostradamus's gifts to realize that for a new company running smoothly, this is a major economic undertaking. Training, spares, mx etc. etc.

From my perspective you guys are messing with a good thing. I have been in this airline business a long long time and this deviation from your business model doesn't seem like a good idea. History is littered with the carcasses of dead airlines that wandered from their business model.

I also don't remember saying anything about a flow through issue, seniority or anything related.

As far as management teams go, nothing can be more dangerous to assume they won't make a colossal screwup.

Last edited:
Just think about the number of RJ's (although the EMB-190 is a large one) that will be flying around the East Coast in three or four years. USAir will have a ton, Delta and COEX have a lot, and now Jetblue will start getting a bunch. It will be interesting to say the least.

Bye Bye--General Lee:cool: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I just listened to the conference call. For those who are naysayers, it would be good to listen to the call too. On the surface the latest announcement will likely create more naysayers (different fleet type, growth too fast, departure from business plan, increased CSM, etc.). However, with a look behind the headlines I think they are really on to something.

When I listened to the JB management explain exactly how they came up with the decision to deploy the EMB-190, I could tell it was a well thought out. These guys are really smart. If it had been the management team at United, I would run fast the other way, but the JetBlue management is the smartest in the business.

This decision will cause many people to throw darts, just like their other decisions. However, I bet JB team proves the naysayers wrong again.

Skirt

Boeingman,

I was speaking of this comment specifically:

I don't think there's enough data out there yet, to forecast this. I just got done listening to the conference call, and I think there is a lot of information yet to be released, especially when it comes to pay.

I respect the fact you've been flying aircraft for a long time. I flew corporate aircraft for a while. Let me say I know a few "movers and shakers" up close and personal. There are vast diffferences between these folks and Neeleman, Bethune, and what few others may do things "right". Like I say, ever since I joined jetBlue, I've been waiting for the "other shoe" to drop, just as it has through-out my career. It just hasn't happened yet, and I certainly hope that trend will continue in the future. I just have yet to see Neeleman do anything that would lead me to believe he'd contract out to the "lowest bidder".

General Lee, excellent point. Makes Neeleman's comment about utilizing ISP last week all the more interesting, eh? It will definitely be interesting.

JayDub

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back