Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dizel8

Douglas metal
jetblue makes small profit, expects loss 4th quarter and full year loss.

JetBlue Airways Nets $2.7M in 3Q Profit

JetBlue Airways Grosses $2.7M in Third-Quarter Earnings; Results Top Wall Street Expectations

NEW YORK (AP) -- JetBlue Airways Corp. on Thursday said its third-quarter profit fell by more than half as the airline industry continues facing pressure from persistently high fuel costs.
The company's results topped Wall Street expectations for a loss, but JetBlue forecast deficits for both the fourth quarter and fiscal 2005. Its shares fell 94 cents, or 4.8 percent, to $18.60 in premarket activity.
Quarterly income dropped to $2.7 million, or 2 cents per share, from $8.1 million, or 7 cents per share, the year before. Analysts, however, were expecting JetBlue to post a loss of 1 cent per share, according to a Thomson Financial survey.

Operating revenue totaled $453 million, a 40 percent increase from $323 million and slightly ahead of analysts' consensus target of $451.6 million.
"The combination of record high jet fuel costs, which were 58 percent above fuel costs for the same period last year, hurricanes and a competitive revenue environment has proven difficult for all airlines, and JetBlue is not immune," said David Neeleman, chairman and chief executive, in a statement.
JetBlue's quarterly traffic grew 30.7 percent to 5.48 billion revenue passenger miles -- one customer flown a mile -- as capacity expanded 28.2 percent to 6.33 billion available seat miles. Occupancy increased 1.7 percentage points to 86.6 percent, but that lagged the company's break-even load factor of 87.4 percent.

The company generated 7.87 cents per passenger mile, up 6 percent from a year ago, although operating expenses swelled 13.8 percent to 6.93 cents per available seat mile.
JetBlue forecast a loss for the fourth quarter and full year, based on expectations for negative operating margin between 5 percent and 7 percent for the quarter. The forecast assumes quarterly aircraft fuel costs of $2 per gallon after hedges, and up to $9 million of a non-cash, one-time expense from the acceleration of stock options.

JetBlue CEO says to cut capacity in 4th quarter
Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:22 AM ET
NEW YORK, Oct 20 (Reuters) - JetBlue Airways Corp. (JBLU.O: Quote, Profile, Research) plans to cut available seats in the fourth quarter as it grapples with soaring fuel prices, its chief executive said on Thursday. David Neeleman told analysts on a conference call that the airline had been struggling to make fare increases stick on some routes and had already been cutting some flights to destinations like Long Beach, California, and Fort Lauderdale, Florida, in the third quarter.

http://yahoo.reuters.com/financeQuoteCompanyNewsArticle.jhtml?duid=mtfh70307_2005-10-20_14-22-14_n20525772_newsml

This will help profitability but I'm anticipating classes to be affected, short term.

It says SO MUCH when the LCCs can not raise prices to cover fuel expenses. Let it be a lesson. You spoil the American consumer with air fares cheaper than they were in the 80s and now they revolt if they have to pay $5 more for a ticket.

Mind you these are the same people driving to the airport in their SUVs and buying their $5 cup of Starbuck lattes.

Too Funny.

AA

FlyBoeingJets said:
JetBlue CEO says to cut capacity in 4th quarter

This will help profitability but I'm anticipating classes to be affected, short term.

I don't think so..

Instead of reading the stupid media story..
If you listen to the conference call the "drastic reduction" in capacity is reducing by one roundtrip to just a few Florida markets during mid week like on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

I don't think you're cutting back classes on that.

Can you just imagine the collective "boner" this board will have when B6 actually does have a losing quarter? Lots of typing with one hand will occur.

CapnVegetto said:
I agree.......RAISE THE F-ING TICKET PRICES!!

I agree......the pax will get over it. Besides, who cares what they think? The will still fly.

Record Ticket sales for this industry and the industry is still hurting. What does that tell you? Raise ticket prices and quit jacking the workforce for their pay. Raise moral and ticket prices in the industry and i would be willing to bet things turn around. jmho

I wont have a collective "boner", just tired of being told by people and management what a problem we "pilots" at the legacies are. When a LCC bleeds money due to high fuel, it takes the burden off of me, then "I am no longer the problem". So will it benefit my argument when and if this does happen? Yes? Will I get a "boner" from it? No, although it depends where my girlfriend is when I read about JBs quarterly.

AA

DIAMONDDD said:
Can you just imagine the collective "boner" this board will have when B6 actually does have a losing quarter? Lots of typing with one hand will occur.

Last edited:
How can the company cut available seats if they are continuting to take delivery of airplanes???

How many seats a month are going to be added with currently scheduled deliveries?

Latest resources

Back