Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FlyBoeingJets said:
JetBlue CEO says to cut capacity in 4th quarter

JetBlue spokeswoman Jenny Dervin said that even with the cuts relative to its prior plans, the airline would still see capacity growth of 24 to 26 percent in the period. The reduced flights will take the form of "surgical, day-of-week schedule reductions due to low demand/high fuel costs," she said

Dizel, I should have explained myself better, but my point at the end of my last post is what's relevant to this discussion. Elastic demand has always been the achilles heal of a service business like ours. If an airline raises prices too high demand drops off because customers have other options to get where they are going. When the prices go up it will surely reduce the number of travelers, therefore capacity has to be reduced to accomodate that reduction in demand and still keep this industry solvent.

This is where my comments about BK come into play. Until very recently, these airlines have largely kept capacity in place to "protect" market share and management's inane "S Curve" theory alive. What United has been able to do for the last three years has been very damaging to this industry, but I understand why they are doing it...they want to survive! They are relieved from making lease payments and other related costs in order to reduce fares that designed to improve short-term cash flow only. Meanwhile airlines that are not in bankruptcy, are now forced to remove capacity because the high cost of fuel is not about to abate anytime soon. The strongest competitors are being squeezed by the weakest ones, because of loopholes in the existing bankruptcy laws, which turns the whole concept of the survival of the fittest on its head, and will be an overall negative to this business. We want the best managed, financially strongest airlines to move ahead and grow...not the other way around, but this is what is happening. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the status quo cannot continue and the removal of a couple of regional airlines will not be enough either.

While my explanation is simplistic for reasons of quick reading, it is nevertheless where the crux of the problem lives. Somebody big, who is not among the strongest existing competitors must go away or be significantly reduced in size, in order for the remaining entities to have the ability to survive and eventually prosper again. We have a major structural imbalance in our capacity/demand curve and where ticket prices need to be. Bottomline, where this efffects us most as pilots will be to limit our overal ability to find work or come back from a long-term furlough, while this imbalance works itself out over the next several years.

Last edited:
Speedbird, if you go back and look you will see that your example - United - has been as active as any airline in trying to raise prices the last several years. You seem to be a little perturbed that legacies are doing what is necessary to compete, including dropping compensation levels to roughly match the LCCs. What did you think was going to happen?

Skykid, I'm not preturbed about United's actions. As I stated, I understand why they are doing it, but IMO its not in the best interest of this industry for an airline the size of United to remain in bankruptcy protection for over three years, while this industry burns through $30 billion in lost revenue over the last fours years. The LCCs are often highlighted as the source of the problem, but the facts just don't bear this out. If JetBlue never existed, United, Delta, NWA would still be bankruptcy today.

The fare raising argument will not work until SWA is paying the same for fuel as JB, AA or UAL. Until then they have the power to set most domestic prices and the others are forced to match

What a difference a week makes, last week everyone jumped down my shorts for even suggesting that Jetblue would cut capacity or cancel flights.

Folks it makes sence, to redepoly the asset to a market where you have a better chance of actually making money. I would expect to see more of this.

Last week I mentioned a loss and everyone was flaming me. It's not jetblues fault that fuel prices are so high. What I want to see is an increased trend in fuel hedging from more majors. SWA has shown he who controls the fuel prices controls the market.

SWA is an example of a well managed, financially fit airline that is singularly able to use its financial strength to capitalize on a fuel hedging strategy. If that puts a weaker airline behind the competitive eight-ball so be it. However, when a poorly managed, financially weak carrier sucessfully subverts the process of chp 11 reorganization, then everybody loses. That is bad for the entire industry, not just the weak carriers who can't hedge. I remember when Pan Am was called the chosen instrument, irreplaceable as an a symbol of US superiority and unmatched in its worldwide service reach. Back then Delta was still flying the mail between Mississippi and Georgia. Just like people who are born, grow up and eventually die, this industry evolves and changes in the same way among those who compete within it. What we need to make sure is that the industry's long-term success isn't dorked up by those who can't change and evolve with the times.

G4G5 said:
The fare raising argument will not work until SWA is paying the same for fuel as JB, AA or UAL. Until then they have the power to set most domestic prices and the others are forced to match

But SWA doesn't compete in a large number of markets. Large as they are, they aren't everywhere at once. Even then, they often don't set the bottom price. What they do is set the highest fare in the market lower than it was. This is made possible in part by their fuel hedges, but that's a relatively recent advantage. Why is it they've been the legacy boogeyman for a decade or two if it was just about hedges?

8vATE,

It was merely a point, since you decided to bash the legacies.( I also understand starting a market presence and price). In my original post I merely mentioned and should have said with less humor (maybe then you wouldn't have taken it so personally) that WE have ALL (except SWA) lost pricing control.

To the other poster, I agree. Right now AA is more concerned about the ticket prices that are about to come from DAL and NWA. Infact I am sure JB and Airtran are not relishing the thought of those tickets as well.

As I have said before. This stinks for everyone! I don't wish will upon JB or anyone. WAY TO MANY people nad families have suffered already.

I don't understand why you would wish a paycut upon myself? Does it make you feel better, do you think ALL the LEGACIES with a reduced payrate will help YOU attain a better payscale. Becareful what you wish for as it may have the opposite effect on what you want.

Dizel8, Thanks for the comments. It has been a rough road, and from the sounds of it. more concessions are coming. Most likely in the form of productivity. While I am not a Kool-Aid drinker I like others am proud of company and what we have accomplished. We are the last legacy not in or have filed for bankcruptcy.

8vATE, This concludes my conversation with you. You are not the enemy and neither am I. If you would like to bash my AArogant ways again I will leave you the last word.

AAflyer

8vATE said:
Yea..

Thought you would like that.

The $25 fare is a short term introductory fare.
Neeleman said today that its for "shock" value and in fact lessens advertising expenses since it gets so much media exposure.

As far as "you're still well paid and have a pension." typical arrogant comment.

When the legacies were paying top dollar I don't recall you guys ever leading the industry. And I'm so happy you think a 5 year old airline should match AA's mature rates.

You should devote your free time to preparing for more givebacks.

AAflyer said:
It says SO MUCH when the LCCs can not raise prices to cover fuel expenses. Let it be a lesson.

They did raise prices, something like 10% average ticket price. It just wasn't enough to cover a 50%+ increase in the cost of fuel.

Latest resources

Back