Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jetblue pilots begin organization drive...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sickened

All of us at B6 should have known this was coming. Once MGMT. decided on a road show you know the news is not good. I mean who do you need to blast if the news is positive.

Bottom line-- I thought it would be some time down the road before I saw ALPA or IBT on the premmesis, but now I see the light that they are coming and coming strong.

It's really a shame, but the door is open.

The Prob is that B6 mgmt still wants to run this airline like the little wall street darling or mom and pop show where the rampies and rude JFK agents are supposed to be a pilots equal. I'm sorry, but its just not true. We quit they loose 15K in training, they quit- then you just go and hire some other Queens sub culture bum and move on.

Fare pay, different Benefits and a betterr 401K is not crazy to yurn for.
I never thought I would welcome outside representation so much.

. I'd prefer in-house, but if ALPA is the most expeditious route, so be it.

Obviously that is your collective choice to make. Personally I feel we are much better off at FedEx with ALPA than we were with the in-house FPA. A lot of guys may feel in-house is better at this point, which is fine but it will take a long time to build up the resources needed to start the process of getting you guys a contract you deserve. With ALPA you will walk into legal, financial, and a myriad of other resources needed to get the process moving. I think ALPA resources were instrumental in making our new contract what it is. I know their in-depth company analysis was spot on as far as what the company could afford, as were many other aspects and we walked in from day one with a credibilty we had never seen before, we knew what management's position would be at almost every step and were able to raise the BS flag when it needed to be raised. No, ALPA isn't perfect, but no union will be and there are a lot of advantages to joining a group with a common goal, a war chest and resources like those of ALPA. My $0.02. Over to you guys, good luck we are all behind you...

No, ALPA isn't perfect, but no union will be ...

Is any group or organization perfect? Are you, the reader perfect? Is your family perfect?

Another consideration is national and international issues. An in house union will only be effective with local issues. And that effectiveness could be argued.

Will you have a voice on CapHill?

Will you have a voice with open skies implementation?

All of these forces will effect every pilot in the US.

One thing everyone has failed to mention. It really doesn't matter ALPA, IBT or in house. You have to have a MEC with balls and a pilot group ready to follow. We did it at NetJets.

You need a lot to learn...

Really? What did unions do for pilots at UAL, NWA, AMR, DAL, USAIR after 9/11? Reduction in pay. Lost pensions for others. Furloughs. JBLU in the same period: NO furloughs and no pay cuts (30% pay raise in October 2001). Recent pay raise for E190 guys. Maybe we have something good over here you need to learn about.

Our pilots are given 6000 shares of JB stock options when they are hired. With the recent splits, some of us have over 20,000 shares. Since all pilots here are shareholders, we should think more long-term about overall company prosperity rather than short-term compensation. We all can make a lot more than our hourly pay if JB succeeds. Given the numbers for 2007, that just might happen.

Last edited:
Blue folks,

I think you found out this "princess" you've been sleeping with the last 5-6 years really turned out to be the "slut" your buddies warned you about.

Believe it or not, most of us aren't saying "we told you so...". Instead...we'll remind you...we dated her once too. She (management) has proven that sometimes she just doesn't really love us after all...

As an outsider who was always hopeful this JB thing with solid management and pilots working together could work, I was somewhat surprised at how latest pay thing worked out.

I hear a lot of ALPA bashing... I just cashed a bonus worth almost a months pay last month--get another one next June. Got bumped off most of my Dec trips for training, and my vacation next month will knock me off most of my January trips. Our healthcare premiums were locked down contractually as well. So far guys...ALPA and FedEx have been very very good to me. A profitable cargo/express company and an LCC are different, but this "auto-anti union" bias overlooks some of the good you could do working together. Your union--ALPA or local--will be what you guys make it to be and will be as solid as your pilot group. After 14 years military I was as union resistant as anyone--but at least in my case my experiences have been nothing but positive with our FDX MEC. I wish you guys the best whatever route you choose...

Enjoy it now. Your industry is ripe for a low cost package company to emerge. That's American capitalism and it's only a matter of time. Work rules and productivity will have to change to compete.

Spectre,

Get a clue son. The stock options are about worthless to anyone that isn't in the top 400 or so. I've got 1800 I'd sell you for 50 bucks...

Latest resources

Back