Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jetblue pilots begin organization drive...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
An "in house" over at F9 seems to be working just fine... by the way they are 1/2 the size that B6 is now.

Tail

Rez,

You dig Duane, I do not. You are hardcore ALPA, I am not. Let's leave it at that.

TY,

I'd prefer my union to be solely concerned about my airline and nothing else. If that isn't available, I'd prefer my union to be concerned only about my airline and airlines in general. If that isn't possible I guess I'd be able to work with a union that deals with airlines and other labor groups too. It's a matter of priorities. The more competing interests are involved the less priority my particular labor group will get. That's why I prefer independent, ALPA, and the IBT in that order.

PCL,

I don't think we would be completely ineffectual. We could also choose to pay for ala carte services from ALPA.

Or course you will leave it at that... cause you can't argue the issue. Thus this is your best reply?! If you want to ignore ploblems meaning globalization that is your choice. I am not hardcore ALPA. I am hard core Air Line Pilot Career. Whether that career be at jB or any carrier. And whether it be ALPA or another union that represents all.....

Your reply to Ty suggest you have blinders. Myopic.

Your reply to PCL suggest you want to have your cake and eat it too.... Another unrealistic position...

If you want to build your house of straw or sticks you can , but sooner or later you will need bricks....

So what's my deal?

The more pilots we have pulling on the same rope, the more effective we will be. Forming an in house union will take away from a goal we all share: Effective Air Line Pilot Careers. Why? Becuase everything that effects our careers is determined nationally and now internationally. Sure you can effect some change locally via contract negotiations, but that is limited and short term. Whats the point in a great hourly rate when foreign labor will take your job a year later?

When Prater goes before a Congressional hearing, or an ICAO hearing or an European Union hearing he needs to be able to say "I represent every Air Line Pilot in the US!"

Last edited:
An "in house" over at F9 seems to be working just fine... by the way they are 1/2 the size that B6 is now.

Tail

Yeah. They sure put an end to that Lynx BS, didn't they?

ALPA has the history, the respect in congress, and the big picture... the rest are only a part of the equation. I think that if more of a plus, than minus with ALPA. And if more large airlines went to ALPA, ALPA will be stronger and more of a force for positive change for the profession.

Or course you will leave it at that... cause you can't argue the issue......

I can argue the issues. I choose not to. You asked me why I preferred an in-house. I told you. Now you want to argue with me about it. It's my choice, not yours. I don't have to justify it to you or anyone else. I willingly engaged in a conversation about ALPA vs independent. You've taken it to a different level. You aren't interested in my choice, you just want to tell me why you don't like my choice.

You know, this is exactly why ALPA is disliked by some of us. You guys have one way and that's it. There's no room for people that only half way like ALPA. There's no room for republican pilots. Everybody must contibute to the PAC. Everybody must be in favor of keeping age 60. It goes on and on. Not everybody agrees with you. Nor should they have to. If this is your idea of a recruiting effort you've failed miserably. Taking a condescending and berating attitude towards potential members is only going to alienate them. Mission accomplished.

There's no room for republican pilots.

In most ways, I'm VERY conservative and I always struggle with this. I don't necessarily think of myself as a Republican anymore as they don't seem to do anything but provide "lip service" to my core issues, but on the other hand, the Dems seem to be very far to the left on most social issues that I am concerned about.. but the fact remains, that there are more or less no Republicans that are pro-labor (ALPA being just that to them), and the truth is, if we're going to protect our work rules, pay, etc.. the Dems are the best for that. It's a messed up dichotomy and frankly, sometimes I wonder why there isn't a party for the rest of us.. Pat Buchanan was that type of "Republican" .. Pro-labor, pro-life, and pro-family.. but sadly they labeled him a Nazi and railroaded him out of politics..

This is what happens when you buck the establishment.. and this is why I now consider myself an "Independent"

Sadly, it's not all as black and white as the two party system tries to make it.

I can argue the issues. I choose not to. You asked me why I preferred an in-house. I told you. Now you want to argue with me about it. It's my choice, not yours. I don't have to justify it to you or anyone else. I willingly engaged in a conversation about ALPA vs independent. You've taken it to a different level. You aren't interested in my choice, you just want to tell me why you don't like my choice.

I've reviewed your posts and it basically comes down to... I'd prefer an in house.....cuz. And when I debated national and international issues you won't even respond or address them....

And when I debate the need to have all pilots under one umbrella you don't reply. When the flight/duty times are up for review via congressional hearing, ALPA will show up the facts and with studies... And Congress will reply, well the JB (or whoever) pilots don't seem to have a problem.... Great. Now Congress is using divide and conquer. The forces that will effect our careers is like a tsunami on the horizon. You want to sit on the beach and order another mai tai pretending all is fine or maybe you should move your lounge chair back 50 feet...

I have given compelling reasons. Career threatening reasons.. and you don't reply.

You know, this is exactly why ALPA is disliked by some of us. You guys have one way and that's it. There's no room for people that only half way like ALPA. There's no room for republican pilots. Everybody must contibute to the PAC. Everybody must be in favor of keeping age 60. It goes on and on. Not everybody agrees with you. Nor should they have to. If this is your idea of a recruiting effort you've failed miserably. Taking a condescending and berating attitude towards potential members is only going to alienate them. Mission accomplished.

One of ALPA's big problems is it's own members don't even understand how the organization works. And since they've been paying dues for X years they think they are experts. Try addressing the issues with a know it all....

Merry Christmas

Last edited:
I've read most of this thread and it doesn't say what spurred on this behavior.

Are they taking away your benefits? That's what it sounds like.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back