• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue Pilot University

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"JetBlue is partnering with prestigious aviation programs at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and the University of North Dakota to fill the Aviation University Gateway's pipeline with top-flight candidates who demonstrate exceptional potential as professional pilots."

I attended one of these "prestigious" institutions...and I still just threw up in my mouth a little.

Sad. Just Sad.

"JetBlue is partnering with prestigious aviation programs at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and the University of North Dakota to fill the Aviation University Gateway's pipeline with top-flight candidates who demonstrate exceptional potential as professional pilots."

I attended one of these "prestigious" institutions...and I still just threw up in my mouth a little.

Sad. Just Sad.

Funny, it had the same effect on me too.

I say, good on the guys that can afford it. It sounds like they are getting some good training and then 18-24 months of flight instruction before going to Cape Air to do some real flying.

What's wrong with that. I sure would have liked that "short cut" when I was flight instructing for way too long.

By the time they get to JetBlue, the upgrade time will be lengthy and they will have plenty of time to learn.

Why does everyone on these boards always forget where they came from, and think that they are god's gift to aviation.

Get over yourselves,

Just my .02

This a program to bridge the whole gap from student to "major" airline pilot. It has many good things for all of the interested parties. For the student and their parents paying for the education.. There is a clearly defined path with 5-6 steps to get to the final goal. For the University.. A new interest in Aviation careers, enrollments are way down. The University also gets to have instructor's take a year tour as a flight instructor, most are leaving for a regional job after a few months. I spoke the the Chief CFI for ERAU, he has trained over 200 instructors in the last year. This might result in better training for the students coming thru the pipeline. For the regional partner airline and eventually JetBlue we get to look at the candidate all the way thru school and as an intern. There are steps and bridges to cross, it is a long interview process. For the candidate it is a path to a job, it may not be for everyone, but it might be for some. Give it chance, sometimes new things are good.

I say, good on the guys that can afford it. It sounds like they are getting some good training and then 18-24 months of flight instruction before going to Cape Air to do some real flying.

What's wrong with that. I sure would have liked that "short cut" when I was flight instructing for way too long.

By the time they get to JetBlue, the upgrade time will be lengthy and they will have plenty of time to learn.

Why does everyone on these boards always forget where they came from, and think that they are god's gift to aviation.

Get over yourselves,

Just my .02

Why are we letting 200 hr. wonder children even keep the right-seat of an RJ warm? There isn't anything wrong with getting some experience as a CFI or something else before going onto a 121 carrier. While attending a quality training program should be a feather in an applicants cap, hiring extremely low time pilots from "prestigious" universities is nothing more than a way to justify paying new pilots, and then all pilots, less...just watch.

Just because airlines refuse to offer acceptable pay to attract QUALIFIED applicants doesn't mean there aren't qualified applicants.

embry-riddle is to prestigious as "the golden girls" are to lesbian orge whorefests. things that should never, ever, ever go together. wow jet blue is really tanking it . i know a bunch of people that left pretty decent jobs to go this place and now they're going to be working alongside a bunch of riddle turds.

After attending the open house I don't see any ERAU guys seeing the right seat at JB for quite some time. They still have a great deal of experienced guys trying to get on at JB. Attrition could go through the roof and change things. One of the JB recruiters referred to it as PR fluff. Sure they might get an interview down the road but that doesn't mean they will get the job. Must we discus the multitude of interns that stuffed charts for UAL back in the day and then got in with fairly low time. I know a couple personally. Partnering with aviation universitys is a ok way to attract pilots. It's an outstanding way to attract college grads for the multitude of operational jobs an airline needs. When an airline has a presence at a university, all of the non-flying aviation majors also get to develop relationships with the carrier. Even if it just seems to be marketed towards pilot applicants.
Personal disclaimer - I did not graduate from erau or any other aviation university. :laugh:

One more side note, times in the industry are changing. We are going through that cycle that seems to occur in avaition about once a decade. I know how it feels to be hired at a job that I needed tons of exerience just to get an interview with, and then see the hiring mins go south 6 months later. There is this feeling of a loss of pride associated with our position as the barriers to entry seem to vanish. I don't mind low time pilots who are eager to learn and personify the professionalism we associate with our career field. I don't like people who don't appreciate what a big deal it is to fly right seat in a jet because they had to do no work to achieve that position. Years ago TWA was hiring guys with dirt bottom minimums and through excellent training and guidance they managed to make it work. We can either accpet the times or be miserable for a long time. The one thing I would like to see more of my co-workers stop doing is judging the younger guys from a distance. Recently I bumped into a young lady who seemed to embody the 400 hour wonder child. Boy was i surprised to find out she had 2 type ratings, an ATP, an engineering degree, and had written software codes for Honeywell. Word through the pipeline was also that she was an excellent stick. When she walked through the crew-room door the first thing out of one of the guys mouths was "Here comes the new hiring mins". He swallowed his pride when he found out she was more than qualified to work here, and just about any other place she felt like.

Doesn't Cape Air fly single pilot 135 in the 402?
How is an intern going to do that without some flying experience? I know it used to be 1200 hrs min required for 135 single pilot.

Last I checked single pilot 135 still is 1200tt and 500 cc, has this changed?

Curious, because that's what I needed before hiring on my first 135 gig.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back