jetBlue, I'm ready for a union

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
potrack said:
so anyways.........is JB getting a union? Maybe you won't have to clean cabins anymore?
As far as the union, it's anybody's guess. You may find this hard to believe, but we help out cleaning the cabin because we want to, not because we are told to. But, I guess the idea of team spirit and getting the job done early so we ALL can get off sooner never dawned on most folks. There are a few guys who refuse to do it, that's fine too. I would say that they might feel guilty walking away from the rest of the crew while they are working but they don't, because they don't have a conscience anyway.

Keep swatting the beehive with that union at Jetblue question though.

Have a nice day.

jetblue320 said:
You may find this hard to believe, but we help out cleaning the cabin because we want to, not because we are told to.
I do this too, until I piece together all 4 sections of the USA Today, then it's back to my seat. :)

Stifler's Mom said:
I do this too, until I piece together all 4 sections of the USA Today, then it's back to my seat. :)
Good one! :)

Free Newspapers!!

Stifler's Mom said:
You must be a Captain!!!

Why is everyone outside of JB pushing for a union at JB. When those of us here feel we need one, we'll vote one in!!

Because when you guys drop your pants and bend over willingly, our bosses will expect the same from us.
Does "JFK-LGB-JFK in one duty period" ring a bell for anyone??

Last edited:
klhoard said:
Because when you guys drop your pants and bend over willingly, our bosses will expect the same from us.

Does "JFK-LGB-JFK in one duty period" ring a bell for anyone??
The funny thing is I don't think there is anyone here, except for a very few malcontents that are still hanging on to the idea that they would be flying a 777 at their previous airline 10 years from now, that feel like they are "bending over". Most of us feel that we are "chipping in" and working hard to get the job done and make the company money which we will all share in terms of profit sharing at the end of the year. Seems folks at many airlines just feel like punching the time clock and getting a pay check. We are JetBlue still feel like we are part of something special and want to keep it that way.

The only thing I can figure from your last line is the initiative that is being talked about in trying to get a waiver to the 8 hr domestic rule so that we can fly one leg across country, then turn around and fly one leg back. As I understand only to be done during normal waking hours. I think this is a great idea for productivity. Get in, get your work done, go home.

320....tell me you don't see a difference between ALPA and what SWA and AirTran have in their professional associations.

Cheers.

KL,

I for one would favor an in-house union at Jetblue. There are many more that agree with me. It is difficult to use the "u" word here due to the five year contract. It is obvious that is the reason there is a five year contract. I think most of the first 300-400 are against organizing, but most of the bottom half would consider it. FO pay is low but people weren't too concerned due to quick upgrades. A-320 upgrades for new hires are probably around the four year mark. They are running about two years or so now. New hires will have to decide between A320 FO pay or 190 Captain pay. Either way it is pretty low.

A large chunk of compensation at Jetblue is profit sharing. Today, they said that Q4 will be very close to break even, maybe a loss for the quarter. Profits this entire year have been down due to low yields and very high fuel prices. This means profit sharing which was about 17% last year will be much lower. Also people in the stock purchase plan that didn't sell are most likely losing money.

Another carrot is the stock options. The top 400 or so have an extremely low strike price. The rest are under water or very close to it. Most of us looked at this as a possible big pay off, now alot of us think they will be worthless.

I saw the writing on the wall at JBLU and am waiting for a class date with another carrier. I see lots of problems in the near future. Their RASM is extremely low and if they can't keep costs down, they will lose money. This means low pay to me.

BTW, I am in favor of the transcon turns. I think about about how long I am on duty, not how many hours I fly. I find multiple leg days and long sits more tiring. If you can log 11 hours a day, you would work only 7 days a week. Fedex is a different story, you guys work nights and get paid mostly soft time. I don't see as a good deal for you, but a great deal for airlines. Hell, ALPA is about to change their mind about age 60 (I think this totally sucks). Why limit flight times to 8 hours when you can be on duty for 14 or so?

Latest resources

Back