Jetblue EMB rates

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

C77MD80

I've got a couple of friends at Jetblue and there take on the pay with the EMB is something like: the aircract has to prove itself first and then we'll take a bump in pay just like the airbus did. For those of you there, how long before the bump comes? Do you think it will happen? What do you expect it to be? How long did it take before Airbus rates went up? Are any other operators flying with proposed 190 rates? I've been thinking of jumping ship lately but the paycut is tough for a single dude with a mortgage.

If you are going to look at 190 rates, look at the Capt. rates. Anyone getting the 190 should upgrade very fast with 26 a year coming. A 1st year Capt should be able to make close to 100K. Remeber, anything over 70 hours is time and a half, so even if you are an FO you can do o.k. Besides, you don't have to take the 190 as a new hire, you are given the choice of aircraft.

One of the very nice features of a job offer at JetBlue is that you don't have to worry about making your mortgage on EMB rates if you don't want to. All new hires are given a choice of an EMB class date or an A320 class date. So far the EMB slots go quicker than the A320 slots, so you would have no problem getting A320 if that is your choice. All the naysayers who said "nobody would want to be an E190 FO" have been proven wrong. Given a choice, many new hires WANT to fly the E190.

Most (if not all) other airlines assign you to your first plane, based on the "needs of the service". At JetBlue, you get a choice. If you want quick upgrade and don't want to sit reserve, take the E190. If you want slower upgrade, longer reserve, but more pay, then take the A320.

Skirt

P.S. Yeah, I expect at some point the EMB FO pay rate will be addressed too once the aircraft proves to be profitable in service and the upgrade extends significantly.

Last edited:
While I agree with Skirt, I certainly don't agree with the pay rates. However, I do have every belief that our management will "do the right thing" and adjust the pay rates when the A/C proves itself. When? Who knows. My guess is (I hope I'm wrong and it's sooner)....but somewhere in the next 14-18 months. As the upgrade time gets longer on the 190 we are going to have to pay higher rates to keep classes filled.
As you've heard a few times the 320 paid pretty low wages (relative) when it was launched. I think our management team has a pretty logical approach to how they deal with business decisions like these. " We don't want to promise something and have to take it away (ie.pay) We would rather have it on property, make sure it does what it's supposed to do, then spread the rewards"

As of right now, it's still going through some growing pains but quickly becoming a great airplane for the mission it was designed. Time will tell but I do believe there are hundreds of markets this Airplane will do well in and generate some great revenue for the bottom line.

"As the upgrade time gets longer on the 190 we are going to have to pay higher rates to keep classes filled."

Man, with thousands upon thousands of applications in the system, I highly doubt it would come to that anytime soon, although I'd love to see it.

Actually, let's hope the -190 can generate enough revenue for the top line such that once the operating expenses are accounted, we will have a positive net income. Otherwise those pay rates aren't going anywhere. (IMHO)

FlyB6 said:
If you are going to look at 190 rates, look at the Capt. rates. Anyone getting the 190 should upgrade very fast with 26 a year coming. A 1st year Capt should be able to make close to 100K. Remeber, anything over 70 hours is time and a half, so even if you are an FO you can do o.k. Besides, you don't have to take the 190 as a new hire, you are given the choice of aircraft.

Where do you get this from? Stop drinking the koolaid!!!!
A 1st year E190 Captain makes $71.00 an hour. Even with 85 hours of credit a month, including the 150% override, that comes out to about $79,000 a year. Add per diem and you're looking at around $85,000. Not really $100,000 now is it??????

skirt said:
One of the very nice features of a job offer at JetBlue is that you don't have to worry about making your mortgage on EMB rates if you don't want to. All new hires are given a choice of an EMB class date or an A320 class date. So far the EMB slots go quicker than the A320 slots, so you would have no problem getting A320 if that is your choice. All the naysayers who said "nobody would want to be an E190 FO" have been proven wrong. Given a choice, many new hires WANT to fly the E190.

Most (if not all) other airlines assign you to your first plane, based on the "needs of the service". At JetBlue, we recognize the "needs of the pilot" too, and give them a choice. If you want quick upgrade and don't want to sit reserve, take the E190 and the associated pay. If you want slower upgrade, longer reserve, but more pay, then take the A320. Novel idea for a novel airline.

Skirt

P.S. Yeah, I expect at some point the EMB FO pay rate will be addressed too once the aircraft proves to be profitable in service and the upgrade extends significantly.

I think I'm gonna puke.....

"Where do you get this from? Stop drinking the koolaid!!!!
A 1st year E190 Captain makes $71.00 an hour. Even with 85 hours of credit a month, including the 150% override, that comes out to about $79,000 a year. Add per diem and you're looking at around $85,000. Not really $100,000 now is it??????"

Man, it's really hard to make a good living on a measly $85K a year. Where can you get hired and start making that kind of money in less than a year service? What do you get paid after a year at AMR, NWA, DAL, or UAL? Not so great...Oh, they aren't hiring are they?

capnbob928s4 said:
Where do you get this from? Stop drinking the koolaid!!!!
A 1st year E190 Captain makes $71.00 an hour. Even with 85 hours of credit a month, including the 150% override, that comes out to about $79,000 a year. Add per diem and you're looking at around $85,000. Not really $100,000 now is it??????

First of all I have been around too long to drink anybody's F***ing kool-aide!
$85,000? Whatever, my point is you can do fairly well on a 1st year 190 pay scale. It is a lot more $$ than I ever made after 6 years with the commuter I left. And like I said, you can bail to the 320 after 2 years anyway or just don't take the 190 in the first place jerk off.

Latest resources

Back