• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jetblue Counts Profit Sharing TWICE in Pay Review

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is 13% 30% higher than 10%? Yes. But the 3% number is clearly in reference to a 3% salary match....

Congratulations! Your thought process has been successfully "managed" by F&H.

They WANT you to think of the number "3". Because the number "30" should be downright scary, and they don't want that at all. Just be calm... it is only 3%.

You make $100,000... $10,000 goes into your 401k.
Industry average Pilot B makes $100,000... $13,000 goes into the 401k.

Pilot B's 401k had 30% more $ placed into it than yours did.

Twisting this into only a 3% short fall is just an F&H Jedi mind trick. It is designed to stump the stupid people that won't think for themselves.

Sorry. When the company says that we are behind in company match by 3%, and you say we are behind by 30%, then you must be saying that to match industry standard we would need to take our current 10% and add an additional 30% salary match to it. 10%+30% for a total of 40%.

Don't get me wrong, sounds good to me.. we might be slightly above our peers though. Otherwise, you are intermingling two different methods of looking at the numbers.

Is 13% 30% higher than 10%? Yes. But the 3% number is clearly in reference to a 3% salary match....

You still haven't answered the important part. What is new with the pay review that shows a double counting...

I'm sure its there, but want to see it...

Okay, I see that you're confused. Let me try to help.

I drink 10 glasses of blue juice.

You drink 13 glasses of blue juice, and then run around and tell everyone that the blue juice here is so much better than the blue juice was at Mesa, Trans States, Gojets, Eagle or wheever you came from. The fact is, that you still drank 30% more blue juice than I did. It's not an interptetation, a nuance, or a guess. It's a fact. Math doesn't lie.

Real airline pilots (the guys who show up on time, shave, read the checklist, follow SOP, leave their skateboard at home, put their cellphone down during taxi, act professional, and try to raise the bar) understand this.

Too many blue glove SJS people at jetBlue don't, which is why we have the worst work rules, insurance, retirement, legal and merger protections, crew meals, rest rules, and the best free pizza, of any airline in our present peerset.

We are easily the dumbest pilots that I've ever been associated with.

Go jumpseat on United, Delta, Fedex, UPS or any other real airline and see if they can help you with the math.

Idiot.

Can you tell me what 13 minus 10 is?

Really? That's your counter argument. Maybe this makes more sense to you....

Dave has a bag with 13 lollies in it and little Robbie has a bag with 10 lollies in it. Who has more lollies and by what %???

Answer: Dave has 30% more. Get it? If it's just 3% then let's just add 3% to your mortgage.

My fourth grader does word problems like this all the time, but we're talking about a pretty unique group of pilots here so even simple things like fourth grade math become different and strange.

Really? That's your counter argument. Maybe this makes more sense to you....

Dave has a bag with 13 lollies in it and little Robbie has a bag with 10 lollies in it. Who has more lollies and by what %???

Answer: Dave has 30% more. Get it? If it's just 3% then let's just add 3% to your mortgage.

And how many more Lollies would rob need to equal Dave's?

Can you tell me in %, how much bigger is 13 than 10?

This argument is a F&H Jedi mind trick. And you are falling for it, hook, line, and sinker.

It is 30% more. I have acknowledged that in previous posts. More to follow when I have the time.

Okay, I see that you're confused. Let me try to help.

I drink 10 glasses of blue juice.

You drink 13 glasses of blue juice, and then run around and tell everyone that the blue juice here is so much better than the blue juice was at Mesa, Trans States, Gojets, Eagle or wheever you came from. The fact is, that you still drank 30% more blue juice than I did. It's not an interptetation, a nuance, or a guess. It's a fact. Math doesn't lie.

Real airline pilots (the guys who show up on time, shave, read the checklist, follow SOP, leave their skateboard at home, put their cellphone down during taxi, act professional, and try to raise the bar) understand this.

Too many blue glove SJS people at jetBlue don't, which is why we have the worst work rules, insurance, retirement, legal and merger protections, crew meals, rest rules, and the best free pizza, of any airline in our present peerset.

We are easily the dumbest pilots that I've ever been associated with.

Go jumpseat on United, Delta, Fedex, UPS or any other real airline and see if they can help you with the math.

Idiot.

I just finally had time to read this post in full. What ********************ing Bull$hit. Since you posted after me, I will quote for you from my previous post (before your post):

"Is 13% 30% higher than 10%? Yes. But the 3% number is clearly in reference to a 3% salary match...."

There is no doubt that on a PERCENTAGE COMPARISON basis, we are 30% (or more) behind on retirement.

My original post regarding 3% vs. 30% was in response to this (note the underlined):

"Bluejet says you are only 3% behind your peers because you get a 5% match plus 5% profit sharing for a total of 10%. (For those of you that are math challenged, that makes us 30% short of our peers... not 3%)."

The problem is that the 3% number and the 30% number are NOT interchangable. You cannot simply say that the 3% number is incorrect, and should be changed to 30%. They are in entirely different contexts and used in two DIFFERENT math formulas.

The 3% figure is used in a unit comparison, where 1 unit=1% of salary matching. This is THE standard unit of evaluating 401k retirement matching. Jetblue deposits 10% of your salary into your 401k. That is 10 units of 1% salary match. Industry average is 13%, or 13 units of 1% salary match.

13-10= a deficit of 3 units of 1% salary matching. (note the addition/subtraction math operation and the context of unit comparison)

The other method is to compare our retirement match on a percentage basis. This method has you compare 10% to 13% as the percentage of increase required to raise our retirememt contribution to standard.

This formula is a multiplication/division formula.

10%*1.3=13% which is an increase of 30%
----------------------------------------------------------------

For the stupid knuckle dragging Apes on here, I have NO problem with either way of representing the numbers. Both are 100% mathematically valid.

However, I have a problem with trying to interchange the numbers by saying 3% is wrong, and should simply be replaced by 30%.

They are to different mathematical formulas, using two different orders of operation and are used in two different contexts.

Period.

We are 3% behind on a unit basis, and 30% behind on a percentage basis.

Period.

Last edited:
We are 3% behind on a unit basis, and 30% behind on a percentage basis.

Period.

This is nothing but anti-pilot semantics. We are arguing "input" vs. "results". The 401k "input" is 3 points low. The "result" is my 401k has 30% less $ on an annual basis.

The "result" is all that matters.

Period.

Latest resources

Back