• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue class dates

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A legit question, I swear (and probably already asked and answered somewhere on flightinfo, but...........)

Why ALPA? Why not in house union? Maybe ALPA is the turnoff.............

A legit question, I swear (and probably already asked and answered somewhere on flightinfo, but...........)

Why ALPA? Why not in house union? Maybe ALPA is the turnoff.............

#1: In-house requires nurturing by management. You have "kicked-in-the-teeth" management, therefore, it would be doomed. We tried in-house in 2009 and the company shot it dead.

#2: In-house is always underfunded. Alaska had access to $5 million from the ALPA MCF (Major Contingency Fund) on day one, so did Jazz, and Airtran. Hawaiian got access to $2 million. In-house would require a $2,000 assessment of each pilot to garner the same funds.

#3: In-house is underresourced, it has no access to ALPA resources without an expensive professional services contract requiring an assessment, stuff like ALPA Legal, Financial Analysis, Aeromedical, Safety, Security, Engineering, Retirement & Insurance, etc..

#4: In-house is always underrepresented. When Spirit pilots struck, they reached out to the AFL-CIO, and shut down all USA business interests of the Indigo hedge fund which owns Spirit. It forced them to settle in five (5) days.

Does this answer your question? ALPA will be as good as your own elected MEC is, and only as successful as your own company is with revenue. They go hand and foot.

By law, ALPA can't negotiate a thing, only your MEC can. ALPA resources the effort, nothing more.

Last edited:
Great post and good info! I thought an in house would be the way to go, but if it was that great you wouldn't have airlines like AirTran and others eventually switching to Alpa.

I am a first year FO on reserve. Baicly the lowest paid guy at JB and I wuold have no problem putting up $2k for an in house. Maybe there are 51% that also feel this way.

I am a first year FO on reserve. Baicly the lowest paid guy at JB and I wuold have no problem putting up $2k for an in house. Maybe there are 51% that also feel this way.

You have a hostile "kicked-in-the-teeth" CEO, a direct quote of his from November 2008, from the JBPA card filing. How's your in-house going to do with him?

Good news though, the JBPA has been absorbed into the JAOC, mostly because of your CEO.

Last edited:
I like the idea of an in-house union, but I must say I don't think it would be successful. Even a $2k assessment wouldn't go far. However, I would take either JBPA or ALPA over what we have now.

#1: In-house requires nurturing by management. You have "kicked-in-the-teeth" management, therefore, it would be doomed. We tried in-house in 2009 and the company shot it dead.

#2: In-house is always underfunded. Alaska had access to $5 million from the ALPA MCF (Major Contingency Fund) on day one, so did Jazz, and Airtran. Hawaiian got access to $2 million. In-house would require a $2,000 assessment of each pilot to garner the same funds.

#3: In-house is underresourced, it has no access to ALPA resources without an expensive professional services contract requiring an assessment, stuff like ALPA Legal, Financial Analysis, Aeromedical, Safety, Security, Engineering, Retirement & Insurance, etc..

#4: In-house is always underrepresented. When Spirit pilots struck, they reached out to the AFL-CIO, and shut down all USA business interests of the Indigo hedge fund which owns Spirit. It forced them to settle in five (5) days.

Does this answer your question? ALPA will be as good as your own elected MEC is, and only as successful as your own company is with revenue. They go hand and foot.

By law, ALPA can't negotiate a thing, only your MEC can. ALPA resources the effort, nothing more.

yep, thanks

Latest resources

Back