JetBlue and ALPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Splert:

You don't need ALPA to get a good contract. Ask the SWA or the AMR guys. And you conveniently ignored the rest of the post.

If something came down the pike that would help the DAL guys and hurt the HAL guys, and ALPA had to make a choice, who would they pick?

A350

A350

Where are your in house cards?

You can say x is better than y all day long but x has no backing even from supporters such as yourself.

Stop posting and get your theory and hope into action.

Especially since you think it is a better idea.

The in house supporter is like Jeff Spicoli. They, or more accurately just he, light the in house bong and then pontificate about how great it would be and how it would be soooo much sweeter. Then he take a nap and wakes up and does nothing about it until he lights up the in house bong again and starts the entire cycle to no where again.

Do it!!! Only you are stoping you, Spicoli!!!

Last edited:
In house or nothing.

Great! Where's my card? Oh, there's no card? No money? No plan, even? Why are you wasting our time with this crap? It's the CBA, not the name on the card, that matters.

We've got maybe 6 months to get our act together or it just won't matter what name's on the card. It's probably too late already but I'm not ready yet to give up.

If this speculation of a SWA/B6 tie up is true ALPA is gonna hit the high road on you guys.

You waited too long and now will get to see what your funny contracts and smiles are worth. Good Luck we will all be watching.

The inhouse crowd never has a plan. They have done nothing and live in the past only to whine and cry about ALPA. For the umpteenth time go ahead and start your little inhouse fantasy and I will sign a card. You won't do it do it though, you'll just cry about ALPA and do nothing....as usual.

Great! Where's my card? Oh, there's no card? No money? No plan, even? Why are you wasting our time with this crap? It's the CBA, not the name on the card, that matters.

We've got maybe 6 months to get our act together or it just won't matter what name's on the card. It's probably too late already but I'm not ready yet to give up.

So, what do you think is going to happen? Lay it out for us simple line pilots please.

BTW, I am yes to ALPA or In-house.

As divided as JB pilots are, an in-house union would be worthless because no one will cough up the seed $$$ to get it off the ground. It will not have $$$, expertise, political clout...nothing; game over.

Then just vote in ALPA and let them set everything up and after a year or 2 dump ALPA for an inhouse union using the frame work they set up. Or maybe it's not that easy. Anyway good luck.

So, what do you think is going to happen? Lay it out for us simple line pilots please.

BTW, I am yes to ALPA or In-house.

I believe what he is getting at is the fact that once the company starts a certain level and type of code sharing(specifically domestic) it will highly diminish our career movement and earning potential. That level of code sharing is coming. The company has taken a little at a time for such a long time it doesn't throw enough people into a pissed off frenzy at any one time each time they take something. In the near future we will be offered a double digit percentage raise. My guess is 12-15% which gets JB to PSIA regarding actual hourly rate. The problem is that 15% is going to cost us a level of scope that will hurt the JB pilot group so bad it won't matter if the raise was 40%. This raise will help the top 20% of our group because they already are in the plane they want with good schedules. For the rest of us this means stagnation in the spot we are in forever. Best case scenario. Worst case scenario is furlough. Actually worse yet is part of the group is spun off to work for RAH or some other horrible low paying regional. I would gladly give up a 15% raise until ALPA comes on board and gets us a CBA with an airtight scope section and PSIA pay and benefits. Since most of our pilot group is in there 30's to 40's I would think this would be a no brainer, but I am surprised daily. Actually I was surprised very much by a conversation I had in my crash pad last week with a (I am from COMAIR and will never vote for ALPA no matter what because ALPA screwed me) guy last week, even though he is 30 years old. Even though I gave him 10 good reasons for ALPA that he couldn't argue with. It is becoming painfully obvious to me that our pilot group is one made up of enough military guys, and guys that have had it so bad for so long it doesn't matter what is taken they will just live with it. I will work as long and as hard as I can to get the protections we deserve as a group, or until Delta, Fedex, or UPS calls. Also keep in mind I am not one of the burn in to the ground blow hards either. As a matter of fact I love working at JetBlue. I love my schedule, and my household income/debt ratio is extremely good. ALPA is a business decision that I am making by looking out over the possibilites of a 30 year career with and without the protections a CBA provides, and the history of U.S. airlines over the past 40 years. Good luck to us all. I know you are pro CBA so this isn't completely for you, but for all interested in JB as a current and future employer.

Last edited:

Personally, I don't think this round of consolidation is over and we're one of the few good targets left. We have good market position, prime real estate, slots that are nearly invaluable, paper thin career protection, and cheap stock. We're worth more dead than alive, and when the time comes, I'd like to have a shot at keeping my job, maybe even keeping my seat. That last may be too much to hope for, but as I say, I haven't given up yet.

Latest resources

Back