JetBlue and ALPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dan Roman

Just read another thread were that debate goes on so I figured I would toss in some perspective based on our experience from another relatively small airline that's ALPA. We (Hawaiian) are smaller (650 pilots) than JetBue yet there has been no down side from being ALPA at all. The support and resources available from ALPA National has been invaluable to us and instrumental in every contract negotiation we have had. Without it we would not have accomplished what we have, no question about it. It works, we have gone through tough concessionary times and more prosperous times, but the resources of a national union has been extremely important to preserving as much as we could during the tough times and those same resources have allowed us a very good contract that we would not have gotten with an in house union. As with any union, it's really the membership that ultimately drives the results, but don't let anyone tell you that the resources of a national union can't produce huge results.
JetBlue is here to stay, a union will not change anything except yield better working conditions and benefits for the pilot group and if you can keep the internal politics in check you'll do even better.

Good Union. Bad Union. Whatever. Pilots always need a contract. Your management doesn’t work without an individual contract, that delineates all party’s responsibility.

You didn’t buy your car without a contract. You didn’t buy your house without a contract. Contracts are how business is transacted. What are those things worth? Yet, airline managers expect you to be treated as if you’re a charity, and like it. You trade some of your most valued assets: Your time, and your expertise.

Are you a business? Or a charity?

Just read another thread were that debate goes on so I figured I would toss in some perspective based on our experience from another relatively small airline that's ALPA. We (Hawaiian) are smaller (650 pilots) than JetBue yet there has been no down side from being ALPA at all. The support and resources available from ALPA National has been invaluable to us and instrumental in every contract negotiation we have had. Without it we would not have accomplished what we have, no question about it. It works, we have gone through tough concessionary times and more prosperous times, but the resources of a national union has been extremely important to preserving as much as we could during the tough times and those same resources have allowed us a very good contract that we would not have gotten with an in house union. As with any union, it's really the membership that ultimately drives the results, but don't let anyone tell you that the resources of a national union can't produce huge results.
JetBlue is here to stay, a union will not change anything except yield better working conditions and benefits for the pilot group and if you can keep the internal politics in check you'll do even better.

-bump

Wow.

Amazing that we have a guy from another airline who can extol the benefits of a CBA and actually sells it better than the !@#$-tard, and the rest of the babies. They have got to start implementing a personality index to screen for the defectives or Jetblue is going to be in a lot worse shape than it is now. Lack of CBA is the final piece that's missing here and nobody can figure out how to reel it in. Tard and Splert are the wrong messengers. If and when a CBA gets voted in, somebody needs to dime those guys on BP so we don't fooke it up worse.

Thank you Dan.

Wow.

Amazing that we have a guy from another airline who can extol the benefits of a CBA and actually sells it better than the !@#$-tard, and the rest of the babies. They have got to start implementing a personality index to screen for the defectives or Jetblue is going to be in a lot worse shape than it is now. Lack of CBA is the final piece that's missing here and nobody can figure out how to reel it in. Tard and Splert are the wrong messengers. If and when a CBA gets voted in, somebody needs to dime those guys on BP so we don't fooke it up worse.

Thank you Dan.

Agree dude. I want no part of them representing me.

Wow.

Thank you Dan.

My take would be that some good guys would step up to the plate and run for office. I'm certain you have plenty of talent to draw from and those are the ones who would ultimately get elected.

Latest resources

Back