• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue and ALPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I also think it is critical to the majority not to vote for a bunch of senior Reps. They ALWAYS end up tilting deals to disproportionately benefit the top.

Vote good quality reps and make sure that all seniority is equally represented.

I also think it is critical to the majority not to vote for a bunch of senior Reps. They ALWAYS end up tilting deals to disproportionately benefit the top.

Vote good quality reps and make sure that all seniority is equally represented.

I think the silo model would be the way to go. Hopefully we will get to vote on these things some time this year.

We had a "silo" structure at my last ALPA carrier. Not many are setup that way but I preferred it to the base style of representation.

I would suggest an overwhelming amount if pilots volunteering on the OC's are more senior than junior. To that point the pilots are dead set on protecting the junior pilots. Whether it is through pay issues or seniority the group has learned from past mistakes and the mentality has changed.
Add to this the silo structure that would likely be voted in and the pilot group as a whole will share the wealth, benefits and most importantly protections.

Hopefully we can get to that point. Ironically, there are many "self agrandizers" on the property who are the first to lead the anti-union campaign in order to preserve their "special" status.

Merrit pay... isn't that cool!

Which one of these letters feels dirty too you? Which one would you believe?

Fellow Pilots,
This is your PVC weekly update for March 24thst, 2013. This update provides information from this past week’s meetings with the Company and the development of a Protocol Agreement to guide and govern the meetings.
Protocol Agreement
This week, the PVC met with members of Flight Operations, JetBlue Legal, and the People Department. The focus of the meetings was to develop a protocol agreement to provide a structure to collaborate and develop changes to the PEA, PPA, FSM Governance, DRM, or the PVC Charter.

The PVC and the Company’s Representatives exchanged multiple protocol documents over a period of 3 days and the PVC made numerous compromises to find common ground between both parties. The PVC’s protocol agreements included the following core concepts:
1. Pilot Ratification to ensure the pilots have the opportunity for review, roadshows, and education prior to voting to accept or reject the changes
2. Access to Data to ensure the PVC and PWCs have the required information to make informed decisions and recommendations
3. Satisfying the legal framework to change each document. For example, the PPA expressly prohibits the PVC from exchanging scope for changes to the PEA (i.e. 2013 pay amendment) or the FSM.
4. A Deadline for the PEA changes that would allow JetBlue to offer them to the pilots without the PVC’s approval (i.e. 2013 Pay Amendment).

Unfortunately the company’s protocol agreements did not meet the core concepts from above or the legal requirements of the documents they are seeking to change. They insist that we waive the requirement for PVC agreement to change the PPA and other documents.
Due to these differences we have reached an impasse and are unwilling to continue the discussions without the protocol agreement we proposed because PVC Counsel advised that it would violate our governing document, the charter, and the other documents we are party to (PPA, FSM Governance, DRM).
We also want every pilot to recognize that there is a lot of change occurring in the airline industry right now. We need to keep an eye on developments and how they may affect our pilot group. This is particularly important to keep in mind when discussing any potential changes to our terms and conditions of employment.
We will continue to update you on any developments on these important issues. Should you have any questions or concerns please feel free to reach out to the PVC or your Seniority Block Representative.
Stay Informed and Fly Safe,
Your PVC

OR

JetBlue Pilots,

Last week was our first week of collaborative meetings with the PVC on the 2014 Compensation Review and Pilot Agreement. The purpose of our meetings was to set goals, protocols and objectives.

As Jeff Martin mentioned in his note to all of you, our PAR team is represented by System Chief Pilot Rich Carter, Director Values Relations Eric Carr and Director Employment Counsel Angela Corridan. The PVC has decided to hire Bill Wilder of Baptiste & Wilder to work for them during our collaboration and he was present at times. Mr. Wilder’s practice focuses on representing employees and labor organizations in the airline and rail industries covered by the Railway Labor Act. He represents pilots at carriers that are unionized by the International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT).

During our first week of collaboration, we found that there are fundamental differences in our approach to this review. For example:

· How to ensure that Pilots direct the decision as to whether any adjustments are made to the PPA and FSM.

JetBlue is very proud of our Direct Relationship and we want to ensure that each of you has a voice throughout the process. The PVC seems to prefer to act autonomously and control proposed changes. While your PVC is allowed great authority over proposed changes to the PPA and FSM, we believe that it should be your voice that directs them to make any decision during this process. As we are facing a myriad of industry changes that we honestly didn’t expect 2-3 years ago – our feeling is that your direct voice is needed to help navigate these new waters. Our Values Committees were created with the intention to help express your views so that we can act with your best interests in mind.

We would also like to take this opportunity to address some misinformation found in the most recent PVC communication. In that message the PVC inaccurately stated that JetBlue wishes to waive certain requirements of the five documents and that JetBlue has refused to establish a timeline for any amendments to be taken to you for your review. Please allow us to correct the record:

· First, the Company has never asked the PVC to ignore the requirements of the PPA or other documents. We asked that you, the individual JetBlue Pilot, be able to retain your individual voice and autonomy to guide them to make any potential changes to the PPA and FSM.

· Second, JetBlue’s timeline for completing the PAR is aggressive, compared to the PVC’s timeline.

In order to stay on track for a January 1, 2014 implementation date, we would need to bring the collaboration process to a close by this summer, in order to allow for system modifications. The process should focus on:

· Discussing and making decisions on some of your top priorities.

· Reviewing items JetBlue feels are necessary (enhancing OAL partnerships and reviewing efficiencies to increase revenue and stay financially strong - as stated in Jeff Martin’s note) when discussing a potentially substantial pay increase that will effect JetBlue’s financials.

We are hopeful that, despite our initial differences, we can continue to collaborate with the PVC on changes necessary to keep us competitive. Also, to mitigate any confusion in the future, moving forward we hope our messaging will be better aligned with the PVC.

Regards,

Eric, Rich and Angela

The PAR Team

That's great. Even more mud in the waters.

Folks, simply put, mother ALPA is the lesser of two evils. Flawed as they may be (oh, and they actually have done good things in the past), I wish to have them on my side versus trusting ANY airline management.

That's great. Even more mud in the waters.

Folks, simply put, mother ALPA is the lesser of two evils. Flawed as they may be (oh, and they actually have done good things in the past), I wish to have them on my side versus trusting ANY airline management.

+1+1+1+1+1....

I have sat in the jumpseat with some senior USAir guys and DAL guys in the last two weeks. In both cases their opinions were the exact same. We (jetblue) need to have a CBA and, while they have no deep love of ALPA, they agreed that for getting an initial contract ALPA is the way to go.

Latest resources

Back