• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jerry.... Brad... what ya got?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm still laughing at the people here that think the rebranding was a hollow statement. Talk about instant gratification- many want the "vision" and they want it NOW. Just sit tight, and let things roll. Control what you can control (the airplane), and let management control what they control (business models). I'd have to say that their track record speaks for itself. They're getting stuff done, and they're poised to be not just a survivor, but a heavyweight fighter. They didn't become the "darling" of the regional airline industry by being foolish and fallin off the turnip truck.

The 'rebranding' talking point was discussed during my upgrade class.
in 2002.

Dude they just recycle the same old stories.

Who says they're sitting idly by. I promise you that a management team, capable of stashing so much cash, isn't just watching this happen without a plan. They probably knew this was coming a year ago, and they probably have a play in progress. However, just because it isn't happening now, doesn't mean it's not happening at all. I assure you stuff is going on behind the scenes, and it's probably already happened- just not been made public yet. Get ready, it's coming, and when it does, it's going to be big.

I'm still laughing at the people here that think the rebranding was a hollow statement. Talk about instant gratification- many want the "vision" and they want it NOW. Just sit tight, and let things roll. Control what you can control (the airplane), and let management control what they control (business models). I'd have to say that their track record speaks for itself. They're getting stuff done, and they're poised to be not just a survivor, but a heavyweight fighter. They didn't become the "darling" of the regional airline industry by being foolish and fallin off the turnip truck.

I will say that I was WAY off in my guess as to the future of Compass and Mesaba. However, this may not be done playing out yet. A hostile take over of the parent companies involved may be on the horizon. Nobody truly knows. I had it figured that we were going to snag bits of Mesaba once the Saabs were gone. I will say, however, that I still see more 900's from Mesa in the form of USAirways flying, if we secure assets and guard our intrests if USAirways were to liquidate; much the same as we set up with our United flying. I think we're poised to grow big time, and it isn't the cool aid that tells me this- it's common sense, and what I see............

:beer:

The only thing sure is the fate of Comair. (yes, I'm a Comair pilot)

Any chance of perf. hiring?

The 'rebranding' talking point was discussed during my upgrade class.
in 2002.

Dude they just recycle the same old stories.

Point taken. However, I think we can agree that the management team at the helm for THIS rebranding is far more proactive than that of the prior rebranding "hot air". Our old management team seemed full of hot air with the inability to deliver. This management team seams talented enough to deliver upon which they speak. I'm not saying they're perfect (just look at the poor staffing model this summer), but I am saying they are far more competant than our competitors, and our past.

Besides, they didn't rebrand squat back in 2002..........it was just the same old hooker in a new dress.

Point taken. However, I think we can agree that the management team at the helm for THIS rebranding is far more proactive than that of the prior rebranding "hot air". Our old management team seemed full of hot air with the inability to deliver. This management team seams talented enough to deliver upon which they speak. I'm not saying they're perfect (just look at the poor staffing model this summer), but I am saying they are far more competant than our competitors, and our past.

Besides, they didn't rebrand squat back in 2002..........it was just the same old hooker in a new dress.

You sound very, very hopeful.

Hope planted by management is a very powerful tool.

Keep swimming.

Reference: "rat in the bucket".

Rat in the bucket...
Leaders must create a climate of hope if they want the people they lead to stay motivated and energized. James Kouzes and Barry Posner put it this way in "The Leadership Challenge": "The climb to the top is arduous and long. People become exhausted, frustrated, and disenchanted. They’re often tempted to give up. Leaders encourage the heart of their constituents to carry on."

Recently, a study was conducted by psychologists at Duke University. In this study, they put rats into containers with water that was too deep to stand in and far enough from the top to keep the rats from escaping. The rats had to either tread water or swim to survive.

The researchers put one set of rats in the water and allowed them to swim until they drowned. This apparently took about 17 minutes. Then they put another set of rats in the water and removed them at about 15 minutes to rest. The second set of rats were then put back in the water and continued to swim for 36 hours.

The researcher’s conclusion?

When the rats had the hope of rescue, they fought for survival much longer.

It sometimes seems easier to threaten and push and prod people than to encourage, to create rewards, and to inspire hope. The natural order of things tends towards negativity. Creating a positive, hopeful environment takes work and focus. The benefit is that people, like the rats in the story above, will hang on longer and work harder if they have hope in a bright tomorrow. Remove that hope and you have nothing but fear and intimidation to drive behavior.

You are the rat and rebranding and 500 aircraft and 5000 pilots is the hope.

I bet you calculated your seniority in 1/1000th of a split second when the rebranding story was told to you and you got a small rush from just thinking of it.

You are swimming even harder now.

Last edited:
When I saw "rat in the bucket" I thought it was going to be another post about crew meals. You're right though - pilots will put up with an amazing amount of misery for the hope of growth.

Maybe management should get rid of sim rides on the interview and instead use a big tank of water. I can just see the letter now:

Dear Mr. Smith-

We are pleased to offer you an interview at ABC airlines. Please complete the enclosed PRIA documents and return. Our HR department will be contacting you shortly to set up an interview time.

For the interview, please bring your logbook, certificates, a small paper cup and your swimsuit. The interview process will consist of three elements:

1) An interview with HR and a line captain.

2) You and the other applicants will then move to the cafeteria where you will be tested on your ability to drink kool-aid in sufficient quantities and at an acceptable rate.

3) You and the other applicants will then be placed into a deep tank where you will tread water continuously while being shown photographs of a CRJ900 at random intervals.

At the conclusion of the tank test, all conscious applicants will be awarded a class date.

You sound very, very hopeful.

Hope planted by management is a very powerful tool.

Keep swimming.

Reference: "rat in the bucket".

My hope isn't planted by management, it's common sense based. I'm failing to understand why it is thought that due to the lack of action now, that there will be no action at all. Timing is just as critical as the plan itself. Just watch- it ain't over yet, and I'm inclined to believe this is just the start.

My hope isn't planted by management, it's common sense based. I'm failing to understand why it is thought that due to the lack of action now, that there will be no action at all. Timing is just as critical as the plan itself. Just watch- it ain't over yet, and I'm inclined to believe this is just the start.

the point of this whole thread is that you don't come out and say 5000 pilots and follow it up with 4 700's from horizon. The arguement is that you become the boy who cries wolf. when you promise something so grandiose, you had better have something in the works, because trust starts eroding fast...

the point of this whole thread is that you don't come out and say 5000 pilots and follow it up with 4 700's from horizon. The arguement is that you become the boy who cries wolf. when you promise something so grandiose, you had better have something in the works, because trust starts eroding fast...
True enough, but I agree that it would be extremely foolish to tease with the 5000 airplanes or whatever and not have some kind of real plan in the works. Maybe I'm being naive, but I believe they still have a plan for more market share. And since Mesa's future isn't looking so bright these days, more changes are definitely still coming for the industry. I'll give it a chance.

Latest resources

Back