Is Expressjet The Best???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Tram said:
Unless you count the 3 guys I know that were recently hired (all this month). Each of them right at 600 hours..

So what!!!!! Yes we have some 600 hour guys. Who doesn't? (Hell, back in the day UNited had 600 hour wonders. Northwest's book "Flight to the Top" even mentioned the most senior pilot to retire from NWA was hired at 19 for crying out loud!) Have I flown with any? One. And she was a better FO than some of the 1500 guys. You can only learn so much stick and rudder skills in a 152. Anything above 600 hours in a 152 is a waste of time. They've been hired and trained, now lets let them gain some experience where they can actually continue learning. Let's not glorify what we do here people, any idiot can fly an RJ from A to B under supervision. It's the experience that counts, not just the time. Remember when you had 600 to 800 hours? You thought you were hot sh!t and anybody who denies this is LYING. So if you were asked at 600 hours to fly an RJ are you telling me you would say no thanks! I don't think I am qualified. Gimme a break people. Give these guys a chance to learn and they'll be fine, just like you were.

I think the only people on here complaining about 600 hour wonders are only doing it because they realize they wasted another 400 hours instructing when they could've been doing this. These are the same peolpe who complain that the mainlines of the industry aren't giving the regional pilots the proper respect just because we are young, and inexperienced (read as low-time). Aren't you doing the exact same thing to these low time new hires?

This thread needs to die! Someone get a rope and a .12 gauge, and I'll meet you at the tree.

Last edited:
Flechas said:
We don't have 70 seater pay, because nobody is willing to pay the right price for that market, that's why you guys are flying them.

HAHAHAH......Riiiiight.

Look, I have nothing against Express jet. I have a lot of friends there. I almost started there.
I honestly don't see what beef you guys, of all companies, should have with CHQ. You have incredibly diverse flying. You have a decent contract. And your mainline partner has nothing to do with CHQ.

What are you b!tching for??

On top of that, don't tell me that less than a year ago, when the COEX getting 170 rumors were flying around, you guys didn't have boners for them, WITHOUT a payscale even published. I'm sure someone can pull up a couple of those threads if you choose to deny it. If your management wanted to get 170's, they would have gotten them!

And next time you think about telling us our contract and Quality of life is substandard based on our F/O rate, save it. Its old. It's ignorant. And it's hypocritical.

That goes for judging the quality of our service, Who the H3LL are you to stereotype an entire airline?? Whats different over there? You guys giving out free BJ's??
Small, noisy, cramped EMB-145's, a mix of experience in the cockpit, 1 F/A...different paint. Whats the big secret??? Our guys want to be on time and operate as Professionally as most people in our industry. You telling me your hiring process is like the Astronaut program? Weeding out all but the cream of the 600TT crop?? Get real...No difference.

Be happy where you're at. I look at the positives surrounding the company that was BEST FOR ME....

CHQ:
  • AVERAGE 15 days a month off. I see 16-18.
  • Junior Manning, I have no clue what that is.
  • Ready Reserve, mmm doesn't ring a bell.
  • High Speeds?? Bueelller?
  • Reserve, hmm, sat 2 days of it, while I played golf and unpacked from training.
  • Getting the vacation/PDO's that you ak for, without needing a ton of seniority
  • Numerous Bases, ability to end up where you want to be within 2 months from IOE. Poopy pants can attest to that.
  • Current Upgrade - 13-15 months (forever, no, but what can I say, things are moving quickly here, knock wood)
  • Great people - People you group into false generalizations that you would be proud to know if you met them without knowing their professional backround.
  • Ability to upgrade into larger/different equipment
  • Going to work and loving the job
It's more than a decent gig and a new contract is around the corner. Flush the cr@p cause it doesn't hold anything...I was happy for coex when things started booming a few years back. And if we can ever help you guys get to/from where u need to be, the seat is all yours.

T-Hawk

Last edited:
ATRCA said:
I think your full of $hit. Thats all. Do you work for the company?

I ask all of the guys sitting to my left what they were doing before being hired here and what kind of time they have, and I have yet to fly with a 600hr guy.

"My friend said....he knew a guy....who did...."

Get specific.

Do I work for XpressJet, sure don't..

Specifics? Let's see.. Rex Moore, Tad "Samuel" Gulley and Stewart Clay - all hired in the last month.. I know for a fact because I took Tad's "place." I also know 2 guys who both had LESS than 600 hours when hired.. James Burgess and Casey Walker.. All flying FO with XJet..

A few more details? Rex Moore was the only guy in his interview group without Turbine time.. The rest were all flying Beech 1900's..

However, I do know that UNLESS your an instructor with ATP your not getting those slots at this low in hours... How do I know? Because I applied at over 600 hours and got the "you are not qualified enough" email.. However, all the above guys had well over 2/3 of their time multi engine.. We're talking 500 total with 320 multi..

Call BS if you want, but you can look http://www2.allatps.com/AirlinePlacements/ and it'll tell you..

Last edited:
CLECA said:
So what!!!!! Yes we have some 600 hour guys. Who doesn't?

Relax man.. :) I was just replying to someone claiming Xjet isn't hiring at certain hours, when I know for a fact they are.. I don't see anything wrong with it, I myself and thinking about trying to go to Xjet, just haven't decided yet..

Traumahawk said:
I honestly don't see what beef you guys, of all companies, should have with CHQ.

What are you b!tching for?? T-Hawk

I don't think anyone at xjet is bitching we said we liked it. I have not bashed CHQ or any other airline in any of my posts. I really don't see why the CHQ guys are jumping in on this thread, it was asked about Xjet.. The only mention of CHQ I made was when the one guy sounded like he was from there based on some of his comparisons and that we researched with CHQ in mind. You guys are really defensive about this. I say good for you. There is nothing wrong with loyalty to your company and your product.

Traumahawk said:
Be happy where you're at. I look at the positives surrounding the company that was BEST FOR ME.... T-Hawk

He hit the nail on the head. This thread started when someone asked if Xjet was good and I believe this was my advice exactly. Find a place that is right for what you want out of a job and possibly a career. How did CHQ ever even become a topic here?

Tram said:
Relax man.. :) I was just replying to someone claiming Xjet isn't hiring at certain hours, when I know for a fact they are.. I don't see anything wrong with it, I myself and thinking about trying to go to Xjet, just haven't decided yet..

This response was not directed at you specifically, I've just seen that same comment about a hundred times on this thread. Your was just the most recent and easiest to quote.

Now PLease for the love of all that is good, let this thread DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
erj-145mech said:
Continental Airlines owns the training center and everything inside of it. CO leases the facility and furnishings back to ExpressJet. Its even behind the CO training facility and shares the parking lot. If you need a replacement employee badge, where do you go, to the Continental badging office? Continental Airlines even owns the www.expressjet.com website.

All of the printing is done at the CO printshop next to the CO company store off of the beltway and toll road in north Houston.

Continental is the primary lessor on the aircraft, the ground equipment, the out stations and maintenance hangars.

The only thing that ExpressJet owns is its name, and the contracts from its employee groups.

ExpressJets sole function is to dispatch flights on time. Continental says where to and when.

Continental has a finger in every facet of ExpressJets daily operations. CO wants to keep it that way, so I don't see them relinquishing that to another carrier.

So if I understand correctly the only thing Express Jet really has as their own asset is the people who provide the services.The airplanes and facilities CO owns. So what prevents CO from looking for a cheaper vendor and just have them operate those aircraft and facilities that Express Jet provides services for today? It appears that this makes it easier to replace you not harder?!?!

Traumahawk said:
On top of that, don't tell me that less than a year ago, when the COEX getting 170 rumors were flying around, you guys didn't have boners for them, WITHOUT a payscale even published. I'm sure someone can pull up a couple of those threads if you choose to deny it. If your management wanted to get 170's, they would have gotten them!

A lot of people in our company got a bonner when the rumor was running around, but I can assure you that we wouln't have flown them under 50 seat payscale.

Traumahawk said:
Small, noisy, cramped EMB-145's, a mix of experience in the cockpit, 1 F/A...different paint. Whats the big secret??? Our guys want to be on time and operate as Professionally as most people in our industry. You telling me your hiring process is like the Astronaut program? Weeding out all but the cream of the 600TT crop?? Get real...No difference.

I never said our pilots are better than yourss, we are all the same as far as I'm concerned, all I'm saying is that we have a more mature an betterstructured management, which happens to give a better product. Nothing to do with the pilots. I have a few friends that work for CHQ andthey are great people, as I'm sure you all are.

Traumahawk said:
And if we can ever help you guys get to/from where u need to be, the seat is all yours.

T-Hawk

Same here, as far I'm concerned, you guys are more than welcome in our planes. All this thread is about management and where would it be better to work, not about bashing pilots, we are all together in this, we can't be our worst enemy.

Flechas said:
You just corroborated everything I said about CHQ.
We don't have 70 seater pay, because nobody is willing to pay the right price for that market, that's why you guys are flying them.

Flechas said:
Who invited you to the conversation? Go back to your 170.

Besides, I don't need to complain about it, I work in a much better company..

Many of us make up the company and drive what drives it..literally.

Sounded like cheap shots to me...at least in the fact that the first time you saw CHQ in the thread was from an XJET plt who broght it up. Of course we'll chime in.

T-Hawk

Traumahawk said:
Many of us make up the company and drive what drives it..literally.

Sounded like cheap shots to me...at least in the fact that the first time you saw CHQ in the thread was from an XJET plt who broght it up. Of course we'll chime in.

T-Hawk

Yeah but management decides the paay rates, which I'm sure youguys would love to get more for flying the 170s.

So that's not a cheap shot, I was just stating that the pay you guys less than they should for flying those things.

The second one was a reply to a bashing, not a bashing to your pilot group.

Latest resources

Back