• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is ATP on crack

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Whats wrong with teaching to the standard? Thats all that is needed. I for one would rather not have a CFI teach me more than the mins.

Whats wrong with teaching to the standard? Thats all that is needed. I for one would rather not have a CFI teach me more than the mins.

What mins? Competent mins or PTS mins.

Now don't get me wrong...PTS mins are "okay" but I'd much rather teach to the "understanding" level than the rote level. At least thats how I think of it.

Then again what do I know...I only have 200 DG! :p

PTS mins. I'm no CFI, hope to be one, as I see it if one teaches to the PTS mins they have taught 'understanding.' At least when I went thru my PPL that is what I was going for and I believe I achieved it.

PTS mins. I'm no CFI, hope to be one, as I see it if one teaches to the PTS mins they have taught 'understanding.' At least when I went thru my PPL that is what I was going for and I believe I achieved it.

Not really. Teaching basic mins equates to rote. If you're told to do something and you can do it just as demonstrated, you've achieved this. Understanding and correlation come later. There has to be information transferred either from an event or another person to help the understanding so one can correlate. Without this, you're a robot and in a real jam when the proverbial fan is impacted with feces.

I bet you learned stalls. But did you really? And what lessons should have been learned through the process?

I did learn stalls. More important, I learned how to avoid them by being a diligent, disciplined pilot.

I agree understanding and correlation come later- experience is vital in any career especially so in aviation.

Many times I found my CFI being too timid in flight. I attributed this to his age / experience as related to me. We are a few years apart. However, I had done quite a bit more in life than he had. He may have been intimitaded a bit. It made the experience difficult for both and often I had to take the lead and make important judgement calls.

I find it funny that two years ago, regionals were hiring people that could draw an airplane, or make that cool jet engine sound like the airplane in 'Airplane'.

They will again - right? Isn't that the cycle. Management at all levels has realized pilots can be made to pay the cost to the extreme.

&%#$!

I just got a highly hopped nasal flush. It sounds like you'll be great subject matter in learning from the mistakes of others.

Latest resources

Back