Is AA ever going to recall?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

WyoHerkdriver

With UAL recalling and NWA announcing potential recalls next year, one can't help but wonder what the deal is at AA in regards to recalls. Are there any rumors out there about any potential recalls at AA? Surely AA will have to recall at some point - or will they?

Recalls would be nice, seeing as there are over 2800 AA guys on the street right now. I dont think AA is going to do much recalling anytime soon though. They are having attrition/retirements, but instead of calling people back they are just parking airplanes. I think 28 MD80s were parked last month. They also bypa$sed any scheduling increase for the summer, unlike most airlines.

Flyby is correct regarding aircraft parking and reduced 2006 summer schedule. I do believe we will see one more batch of 20-30 MD80s being parked in a few months, to adjust the fleet size for the many retirements/MLOAs occurring (instead of recalling folks to fill those retirements, they just seem to park more a/c.)

That said, AA cannot plan on a summer shrinkage every summer, and I do believe they will increase the schedule next summer (2007.) If that's the case, they must recall, hands down. In fact, AA came to a sort of crossroads in April of this year - either recall pilots or park aircraft.

The rumor mill says that they will look at a possible trickle recall this fall, to staff for next summer and normal/early outs. But I think it will be no more than 25-30/month, because they also do not want to ramp up the schoolhouse too much ($$$.)

Time will tell... bring it on! We all want it badly.

It's a darn sight better than hiding from your creditors and dumping the hard earned pensions of your workers. Kudos to the everyone at AA for keeping the faith. Heck I don't even mind the slow taxiing ;)

Jobear

Last edited:
Yep. Can't compare AA w/ NWA or DAL because they haven't been in BK. Massive cuts in staffing and aircraft have already been digested at the BK airlines, but AA has had to fix themselves slowly, methodically. Kudos to them for doing a good job so far. Hopefully they can continue on this path and minimalize the pain on employees. That said, I can't imagine they wont be recalling for next summer (but I'd have said that this summer too). PBS is another big piece of the staffing pie, any word on that lately at AA?

PBS will come to AA but not before recalls start--AND, I hope never without the caveat of the union controlling the process.TC

I know just enough about PBS to be allowed to spread wild rumours.

PBS can be a blessing or a disaster. Think of a Windows program with about 4,000 option boxes, radio buttons, and various filters. How those options are enabled determines what the PBS will vomit forth. If the membership controls the options, I think it will be great. If management has too much control, we will wallow in the sewage it generates. It's too early to tell what will happen.

Latest resources

Back