• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is AA ever going to recall?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So far, everyone who has or had PBS liked it.

AA pilots fear change at this point. PBS involves change, as well as slightly reduced staffing and no more vacation/training conflicts. We are using TTOT (trip trade with open time) as an example of how wrong PBS can go here. TTOT was promised to us with tons of drop trip and trip trade opportunities, but the reality is quite different. PBS in the hands of AMR sounds pretty scary. The union MUST control it, like at TWA and, I believe, AWA.

So far, talk of PBS has faded ever since the PUP (management bonus) payed out. Seems like Hunter and co are not as anxious to cut a deal with the Co lately (wow, what a concept.)

That said, PBS would be more welcome here once everyone is recalled.

PBS without "demand staffing" (which allows great flexibility in picking up open time--especially for reserves) will not generate much in the way of reduced manpower. With "demand staffing", it will generate around 10-15% in savings.

I would also like to see the option of transitioning from the Defined Benefit retirement plans to a Defined Contribution plan. Once the age limit is raised to 65, maybe those wishing to retire at 60 could stay in the plan while those planning on staying beyond 60 could transition to the DC plan (with credit given for the amount in the DB plan at the time).TC

AA717driver said:
PBS without "demand staffing" (which allows great flexibility in picking up open time--especially for reserves) will not generate much in the way of reduced manpower. With "demand staffing", it will generate around 10-15% in savings.

I would also like to see the option of transitioning from the Defined Benefit retirement plans to a Defined Contribution plan. Once the age limit is raised to 65, maybe those wishing to retire at 60 could stay in the plan while those planning on staying beyond 60 could transition to the DC plan (with credit given for the amount in the DB plan at the time).TC

What exactly is demand staffing? I've heard the term thrown around a bit but don't really understand how it works.

AA717driver said:

Deleted--double post.

In response to the original query...

Is AA ever going to recall?

Answer: Yes. When? The 2009 answer is as good as any. This is if they survive the shrink to profitability.

PBS:

I was a participant in this at AWA. If you understood computers, read the tutorial, went to the classes, tried out the trial paralell bids, read the FAQ's and hints, and very carefully evaluated what you were asking for... it was fine. I got a line for the first time ever using it. However, this was because there was a large population of dinosaurs employed there at that time that did not even have email accounts, were not at ease with a computer, and did not go to the classes, take part in the trial runs, etc. After the swell of stupidity rolled back the other way, it went back to being about like always. It could not make a decent pairing, because those were detremined by the company.

AA pilots will hate it because as someone said earlier, it will eliminate the vacation conflict drop. In other words, they will not get paid for not being at work.

PHX767 said:
AA pilots will hate it because as someone said earlier, it will eliminate the vacation conflict drop. In other words, they will not get paid for not being at work.

You said it! The Green Book is insanely ineffecient relative to EVERY OTHER airline in the U.S. The days of getting paid $140k for working 68 hours a month have to end. (Actually, they have but it's the potential for the company to have to pay people to sit at home must go away for AA to be consistently profitable.) TC

Reserve pilots have to be paid to sit at home, as well as off the gate. That's their job. Strapping on a beeper and being sober and ready is a service provided to the company, and should be paid accordingly.

If an airline maxes out their reserves every month, by definition, they are undermanned, and cannot handle weather, holidays, and other phenomenon that stress the system.

Just guessing, but I'd say you need a 20% reserve pad. That means for a 75 hour contract, if the reserves average 60 hours in a normal month, that's about right. Yet they are guaranteed, at AA at least, 73+

Gorilla,

Some airlines staff more reserves, some less. I understand TWA staffed right at 10%, that's because of PBS and because pilots could pick up trips on their days off at premium pay. Which made reserve very senior over there. AA historically staffed reserves at 30%, which is a little high but we are limited to flying on duty days only. It also provides for more jobs, but costs the Co extra $$$. I think we will get it down to between 10-20% eventually, probably through PBS or some other work rule concession. We shall see...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back