Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is a pilot worth anything without a degree?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Jpilot23 said:
I'm sorry you feel that way.

i'm sure as you get older, you will realize there is more to this world than a number in your bank account. having no money will make you unhappy. But having too much money will do the same thing. It's been my experience that the Big Dude up stairs gives you enough. And i've always seem to keep my spending habits. regardless of how much i earned in a month. and i'm sure if someone didn't make that much, they could manage their money and still be able to retire, raise kids, have toys...etc

I think he's just simplifying it down to money=happiness. Obviously there's more to it, and he alludes to it in his post. The fact remains that the more money you get in life, (in general) the more opportunities open up for you to experience all that life has to offer. Whether it be travel, free time with your family, bangin ho's, passing out bibles, or whatever it is that you are into. And that ability to experience what you want out of life is a HUGE part of that elusive happiness.

Was that family of five sleeping on cardboard in the streets of Manilla I saw a couple weeks ago happy? Most likely. Most humans are happy no matter what their circumstances. But I'll bet they'd all be happier in some way if their material circumstances improved. And does the "big dude upstairs" give enough to all those kids who starve to death in Africa? I guess that's not in your experience though.

Last edited:
pilotyip said:

So are you telling that my Army Blackhawk pilot just back from Iraq without a degree has no displinie and has no place in the cockpit of an airplane.

This what the Army would like you to have to enter the program:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Preferred qualifications (Minimum plus):[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Two years of college credit at an accredited institution[/FONT]​
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Federal Aviation Agency (FAA) Private Pilots certificate or higher[/FONT]​
If the Warrant Officer Aviator wants to get promoted, he better have a four year degree. If you're good enough, the Army will give you fully funded degree completion so you can meet their educational requirements. They will also fully fund advanced degrees for Warrant Officers. Master's degrees are not uncommon among CW5's.

pilotyip said:
You can now go back to golf and Bar-b-q.

OK, thanks. See you at the 19th hole.

Jpilot23 said:
I'm sorry you feel that way.

It's been my experience that the Big Dude up stairs gives you enough.

Last time I checked the "Big Dude upstairs" does not pay for my wife to stay home or put gas in my boat (two things that make our family very happy)

IMHO - those that get all thier kicks at work in airplanes, have no other choice.

YMMV.

PS - next time you have a beer or share a bong with the Big Dude, ask him to send me a new Cobalt 323. That would make me VERY goddam happy.

thanks!

regards,

young, whippersnapper, materialistic, worthless degree holder

G200.

Last edited:
OK, I gotta weigh in on this thread. Here's my stats:

25 years since high-school.
1 year college.
2 years enlisted military (yes, they used to have 2 year enlistments!).
18 years in and out of aviation.
20+ years in and out of truck driving.

Out of the last 18 years since I got my commercial, I've been fully employed as a pilot for only 8, including the last 7 continuous. I got out of aviation for personal reasons at the end of the cold war, and only got back into it after my first marriage ended and times were fat again in this business. I've lost 3 different flying jobs due to contract cancellations or the company went out of business, period. I now have 4 dependents to feed, and with the price of fuel shooting through the roof, I'm wondering how much longer my current corp flight dept will survive.

I wish now I had stayed in college all those years ago, because I could at least get a management job somewhere and not have to drive a truck to feed my family in the event this job goes TU. Others will chime in I'm sure, but there are MUCH EASIER occupations than truck driving, and they're all closed to someone with no college degree.

Just a sample of someone toughing it thru life with no degree...

my faith is my own. its up to each person to find peace.

As far as starving kids in Africa...i'm sure the PEOPLE there have NOTHING to do with their problem.

For starters a degree won't garauntee you a job. There are plenty of law schoold grads working in Starbucks waiting for a break.

G200, relax! You act all high and mighty beacause you think you have such a great life flying, and making money! Would you give it all up if your wife was dying, you bet you would!

I always thought I wanted to make tons of money, but the more I make the more I worry about it. I don't have anymore money than before, just more stuff (crap).

I don't have a degree, only spent 1 year in collage and make $90K a year. I have great wife, great dog, both parents still alive and married, roof over my head, healty, can see, can hear, can afford food, heat, water and clothes. All without a degree. If I loose my job, I won't loose any of this, I will adapt and survive.

If you want a degree, get one. Will it help, maybe, maybe not.

sluminginpit said:
For starters a degree won't garauntee you a job. There are plenty of law schoold grads working in Starbucks waiting for a break.

G200, relax! You act all high and mighty beacause you think you have such a great life flying, and making money! Would you give it all up if your wife was dying, you bet you would!

I always thought I wanted to make tons of money, but the more I make the more I worry about it. I don't have anymore money than before, just more stuff (crap).

I don't have a degree, only spent 1 year in collage and make $90K a year. I have great wife, great dog, both parents still alive and married, roof over my head, healty, can see, can hear, can afford food, heat, water and clothes. All without a degree. If I loose my job, I won't loose any of this, I will adapt and survive.

If you want a degree, get one. Will it help, maybe, maybe not.

WTF does a wife dying have to do with any of this?

Im not acting high and mighty. My job is very average. It pays very average. Its a good job. Im home a LOT. A pilot can never brag about money. Pilot wages have slipped and everyone elses have skyrocketed in the last 10yrs. I make less than 90% of our friends....but I like my job better so thats fine. At this point in my career Im not willing to work 60hrs a week for 2X the money.

So....my jobs decent/average, nothing more. Its also a job YOU very likely wont get without a degree. Most in the stack have that one checked. Oh, guess what, they also have plenty of experience also. Forget that "work experience" bullshat YIP speaks of. Its a copout.

The point is you very well may be SOL if you lose your job and have to compete with college grads. Good luck outside aviation with nothing to put on a resume but some "PIC turbine" time.

"I will adapt and survive" -- thats one hell of a life plan there!

but at the end of the day, all that matters is if this works for you.

:confused:

retired said:
Money can`t buy happiness? Try telling that to my wife.
It's been my experience that your wife's view is shared by many women.

I believe their basic tenet is, "While money may not buy everything, what it won't buy I don't much need."

GV

~

Last edited:
Happiness?

Again who is to define happiness? If one deems himself happy in a position you deem you would not be happy, is that person allowed to be happy by his standards or your standards? No one has answered that question.

Latest resources

Back