Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is a pilot worth anything without a degree?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If that's all you aspire to is a $50k a year job flying for a regional, then I'm not sure college is necessary. Also, I don't think 2 year "associates' degrees" impress anyone. If you aspire to a major airline, a 4 year degree is almost mandatory to be competitive.

Magic1872 said:
Look at it this way...is the 4 year degree going to hurt you? NO, it can only help. Plus your never to old to stop learning.

In my humble opinion, I went to a great school with an awesome flight program. I had a great time, got all my licensing, and learned a lot along the way. Would I do it again? Never!

Now I'm $80,000 in debt and competing for the same jobs as 19 year old kids who got their licensing in a Champ at the local FBO.

Ultimately hours is all that matters. Sure there are some 300hr wonders who got lucky. More power to them, but If I had it to do over again, I would have gone and flown the champ at the local FBO. Then, maybe while I fly at a regional I'd do a correspondence deal.

Does my four year degree hurt me? Only on the fifteenth of every month for the next 30 years.

JumpCaptain said:
In my humble opinion, I went to a great school with an awesome flight program. I had a great time, got all my licensing, and learned a lot along the way. Would I do it again? Never!

Now I'm $80,000 in debt and competing for the same jobs as 19 year old kids who got their licensing in a Champ at the local FBO.

Ultimately hours is all that matters. Sure there are some 300hr wonders who got lucky. More power to them, but If I had it to do over again, I would have gone and flown the champ at the local FBO. Then, maybe while I fly at a regional I'd do a correspondence deal.

Does my four year degree hurt me? Only on the fifteenth of every month for the next 30 years.

What's your flight hours of PIC time J.C.?

JumpCaptain said:

You said it. I totally agree. If you have a hard on for the regionals and want to get hired with 500hrs then a flight university or PFTing is the way to go. Otherwise, get your degree on the side and build your flight hours full time. Nobody looks at a resume and decides to call you based on your degree, its a part of it, but they are looking at flight times and expierence first.

The janitor at my junior high school had a college degree. It is something that has stuck with me. Two resumes in front of you one person has a 4 year degree listed under education, who are you going to hire?

Get a degree, any degree, from any school. In the real world a college degree, gets you an interview. In this world hours get you an interview, nothing is more important than hours.

The same 2 resumes scenario now applying as pilots, who is going to get hired? It's obvious, the pilot who knows people at the company he's applying with. All things being equal, the 4 year degree will help make the difference in comparing two similar applicants, and may very well be a requirement for somewhere you might like to work for in the future.

Definitely get your AA and work on your 4 year degree as you can. Think on-line classes.

Hours make the difference

You are not limited to $50K/yr in an RJ without a degree. I know over a dozen pilots without degree making close to $100K/yr. I Think I see some agreement that the hours get you the job, the more quality the hours the better the chance. However doing the degree on the side never hurts. If you want to be a pilot you fly airplanes and within 10 years you will have career position.

Draginass said:
If that's all you aspire to is a $50k a year job flying for a regional, then I'm not sure college is necessary. Also, I don't think 2 year "associates' degrees" impress anyone. If you aspire to a major airline, a 4 year degree is almost mandatory to be competitive.

Actually, no degree impresses: Atlas, Usa Jet, Spirit, Kalitta Air and Gemini to name a few. And since all the majors have taken massive pay cuts (with the exception of FedEx, Abx and UPS) you can make the same money with a non-major.

Draginass said:

I have to agree with Draginass. You need to set the bar a little higher than 50K. That is not that much money these days. I too am back in school after a 13 year break. I got my AS many years ago and am working on my BS. I make about 80K now and it doesn't seem like much anymore. Some say you can get a good job without a BS degree, but your chances are slim. Suck it up and finish the 2 classes.

I agree with CaptainMark ! Get your degree if for no other purpose but to have something to fall back on if you lose your medical.
Jpilot23 said:
I've been wondering this question throughout all the years I’ve been in aviation, 5. To succeed in aviation, (which to me means I’m flying, with a good company, and in something fast) will I need a degree? When I was young and stupid I thought I was lucky enough to get by in this line of work without one. Now growing older I see that I may have been mistaken.

I'm approaching 1000 hours with almost 200 multi. I’m making plans to go back and finish the classes i need for a 2 year degree (I only have 2, both math). So what if I fail? Does that mean that I will be stuck somewhere i don't want to be does that mean I’ll never get a chance to be a captain of a turbojet aircraft making over 50,000/yr. I usually try not to display my ignorance, especially in front of pilots, but I’m getting tired of debating these things in my head, i would like some other professional advice. Thanks all

Fall back value of degree overrated

You have to decide on what you want to be a college graduate or a pilot. If is a pilot, you fly airplanes and build resume stuff. It will take approximately 10 years to get to a career position in aviation. You have to commit to the time frame to make it. If you elect after 5 years to get out of flyign to pursue your major in college, you will be five years behind that year's college grads. To not fly and get a degree may be fun but it does nothing for your flying career. Now to get a degree on the side while you are flying, nothing wrong with that. However, the fallback value of a degree is greatly over rated. I have a BS and a Master's in Management, but at age 53, I was making $250/wk loading cargo. After Zantop pretended to go out of went out of business in 1997, I had been a temporary High School Chemistry Teacher up until two weeks before the cargo job came along. However, they do not teach school in the summer so I had to take the cargo job. The value of an unused degree is highly over rated. 53 year old unemployed airline pilots are not eagerly greeted in any industry that I know of, even of having a couple degrees. Of course, I did not apply for many of the "College degree preferred jobs" such as apt manager, telephone direct sales, and plumbing floor manager at Home Depot, etc. If you get a college degree you have to use, the knowledge gained in college to develop a career or the degree is useless. After getting a degree, flying an airplane is not a knowledge expanding experience; it is skill development experience. Anyone care to chime in and share their experiences on entering the non-aviation job market after being out of college 20-30 years?

Latest resources

Back