Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is a pilot worth anything without a degree?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
sluminginpit said:
For starters a degree won't garauntee you a job. There are plenty of law schoold grads working in Starbucks waiting for a break.

True, a degree, particularly an irrelevant one, will not guarantee you a job, but it will significantly improve your chances.

sluminginpit said:
G200, relax! You act all high and mighty beacause you think you have such a great life flying, and making money! Would you give it all up if your wife was dying, you bet you would!

I did not read Gulfstream 200's comments to portray an "all high and mighty" attitude. I read it to say if you lose your current job and you have to compete with college grads for a new position, you will lose out.

Also, I don't believe there are any studies showing that an aviation career in any manner increases spousal mortality.

sluminginpit said:
I always thought I wanted to make tons of money, but the more I make the more I worry about it. I don't have anymore money than before, just more stuff (crap).

That's an issue of discipline and character. You don't have to become materialistic if your income increases - that's a choice you make.

I put 35% of my net income into financial instruments each month and limit my possessions to things which in some way improve my personal or familial quality of life.

sluminginpit said:
I don't have a degree, only spent 1 year in collage and make $90K a year. I have great wife, great dog, both parents still alive and married, roof over my head, healty, can see, can hear, can afford food, heat, water and clothes. All without a degree. If I loose my job, I won't loose any of this, I will adapt and survive.

You make it sound as if having a degree somehow makes it more difficult to have the basics and to enjoy a meaningful life. Education and QOL are not mutually exclusive. I have two degrees and share the same things you do except that my income is a multiple of yours, the later primarily because I had the right qualifications when the right opportunity presented itself.

GV

Theres more to life than money and education, thats my point.

Good for those who have degrees, you can sit for long hours in class, spend lots of money and say you have a degree!

Good for those who don't, you are lazy, unable to learn and will fail if you lose your flying job because G200 and GVflyer are more qualified than you! There will be no other jobs available.

G200 just curious what you would do if you lost your flying job? What is your degree in? Do you think you would be able to find a job easily becasue of your degree?

sluminginpit said:
G200 just curious what you would do if you lost your flying job? What is your degree in? Do you think you would be able to find a job easily becasue of your degree?

Whatever I decide to do my resume will trump yours, no matter what the degree(s) are in. You will be a high school grad with some flight time. Not a place I would want to be and looking for work outside the cockpit.

thats the whole point here.

Nobody cares what you choose to do. The "I will adapt and survive" method seems to work for you and yours. Thats all that matters.

I couldn't live like that, and wish you luck with it.

Just dont try and pull that "poor me" and "G200 and GV think they are better than everyone" bull$hit. Its the same copout Pilotyip uses once he is backed into a corner. It has no teeth, no validity.

The discussion was about if a 4yr degree is needed, and the vast majority seem to think one would be extremely foolish to venture out today without one. NO......really?

YMMV.

Last edited:
sluminginpit said:
Good for those who don't, you are lazy, unable to learn and will fail if you lose your flying job because G200 and GVflyer are more qualified than you! There will be no other jobs available.

kinda scary you think thats a joke!

oh, dont worry, there will always be jobs avialable outside the cockpit for high school grads.

(Starbucks and Mcdonalds)

G200 If I get a degree can I be a dumb A$$ like you!!

You are hired help, nothing more nothing less! Your wife is lucky to have you, you are truly one of a kind!

You win, your smarter and will be a greater success than me! Boo ho !!

College not necessary, define corner

A corner with no sides is not a corner? When have you ever backed me into a corner where I said you were right and I was wrong? If you fly because you like to, and would be happy making $100K per year which puts you in the upper 5% of wage earners in the US, probably the top 1% in the world then a college degree is not necessary. See there I said it again, say wasn't there a song like that once upon a time? Oh! Different thread. If you are not going to be a pilot or some other type of skilled labor with advanced training, then a college degree is probably necessary. I won't argue that, and on that we are in the same corner.

Last edited:
sluminginpit said:
G200 If I get a degree can I be a dumb A$$ like you!!

You are hired help, nothing more nothing less! Your wife is lucky to have you, you are truly one of a kind!

You win, your smarter and will be a greater success than me! Boo ho !!

I figured that was about the best you could do.

I rest my case about education.

:rolleyes:

bite bite bite

G200 he is playing you like a violin, he posts you bite.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back