Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is a pilot worth anything without a degree?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually again G200 shows how out of touch with the real world of where people work and do the things that allow G200 and his ilk to look down on the rest of the world, both literally and figuratively. My avionics repairman without a degree will most likely get a better paying job faster than the college grad that has not used his degree in 10 years. After all he can probably repair computers, and that allows G200 to continue programming his airplane around the world. Watch G200 is going to get out his pocket dictionary out to find out what I said.

pilotyip said:
Actually again G200 shows how out of touch with the real world of where people work and do the things that allow G200 and his ilk to look down on the rest of the world, both literally and figuratively. My avionics repairman without a degree will most likely get a better paying job faster than the college grad that has not used his degree in 10 years. After all he can probably repair computers, and that allows G200 to continue programming his airplane around the world. Watch G200 is going to get out his pocket dictionary out to find out what I said.

very literate pilot yip.....mumbling old freight dog.

good riddance to your generation.

and like most college grads, I make 2X the money programming my airplane around the world than your "stick and rudder" GED holders do running car $hit to Mexico.

The choice is yours.

and "avionics repairman"? what high tech computer experience is Julio getting on 30 year old Falcon 20s and DC9s? Yup, he's ready to light up the world during next summers annual detroit slowdown furlough Im sure.
:rolleyes:

same old stupid argument Yip.

Metro752 said:
How about the morons with 4 year degrees that are intimidated by washing machines?
If a person with a college degree has to work a washing machine, something has seriously gone wrong with the system.

Sam Lowry: How are the twins?
Jack Lint: Triplets.
Sam Lowry: My, how time flies!

The AT-2 Avionics Repairman was working for another company on Airbus Avionics. Very employable. Does money buy happiness? Are you happier than me? Do you have right to be happier than me? What defines happiness? I don't actully fly dog stuff to Mexicio all the time, why this weeks I flew group of Exec's to a meeting in Missippi. All day time flying. Living the good life every day.

pilotyip said:
Does money buy happiness? Are you happier than me? Do you have right to be happier than me? What defines happiness? I don't actully fly dog stuff to Mexicio all the time, why this weeks I flew group of Exec's to a meeting in Missippi. All day time flying. Living the good life every day.

Yes KYIP. I have come to the conclusion that money DOES in fact buy happiness. 99% of the people who say otherwise would jump at the chance to make more....but they are often held back by the lack of basic qualifications, like a college degree. Its a lamea$$ excuse.

Trust me, I dont think a degree means you fly any better, not one bit. But its 2006 and you have to play by the rules or be held back by the man!

Underpaid (or Insane) people say money does not buy happiness. Its just a fact. It pays bills, allows spouses to raise children, puts you in nice neighborhoods, gets you secure retirement planning, allows you to buy toys.

Money=Happiness.

Money=Happiness.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

i'm sure as you get older, you will realize there is more to this world than a number in your bank account. having no money will make you unhappy. But having too much money will do the same thing. It's been my experience that the Big Dude up stairs gives you enough. And i've always seem to keep my spending habits. regardless of how much i earned in a month. and i'm sure if someone didn't make that much, they could manage their money and still be able to retire, raise kids, have toys...etc

Thank You Capt Mark, is there some way I can program you to the F7 key so I can get professional guidance on how to use a computer input from a pro in the who in a master of the input keyboard. BTW "By requiring pilots to have college degrees, they're ensuring that the applicant at least has some ability to suceed in classroom learning, practice the same discipline used in acquiring the degree in the ground school and helps weed out to find the "cream of the crop". So are you telling that my Army Blackhawk pilot just back from Iraq without a degree has no displinie and has no place in the cockpit of an airplane. Is that what you are telling me the only way to become a disciplined person is to get a four year degree? If so then we have differnet views of determines if a man will be successful in life. You can now go back to golf and Bar-b-q.

Draginass said:
Can you succeed in aviation without a degree? YES

Is it more difficult to get the better jobs? YES

Does a 4 yr degreee make you more competitive to get an interview at the better airlines? YES

Will most of your contemporary competitors for jobs have just as good of skills as you, and will have 4 yr degrees also. YES

If you were a recruiter and had two individuals with roughly equal skills and experience, yet one had a 4 yr degree and the other didn't, which one would you choose? The individual with the 4 yr degree.

It depends. Spirit airlines a few years back was losing their pilots to Northwest. NW liked pilots with 4 year degrees. Don't think it's any coincidence that Spirit therefore started hiring many pilots without a four year degree.

Latest resources

Back