iPad as an EFB

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Anybody using the Ram Mount?

We are looking at the 3 of the rams: the knee board (not my favorite), cup holder one (rap-299-2-ap8u), and my best pick thus far, the suction cup unit used by Quantas and Alaska (the base is main difference in this and advertized single suction unit) which is a triple base (ram-333-224-1U)

do they have any yoke mounting devices? I've just been placing mine on the side and holding it when I want to look at it. Don't really need the charting /gps features as the aircraft has those already, but it would be nice to mount the ipad2.

The only clamp type yoke mount won't fit on pedestal yokes-- the clamp is too small (I believe its for light a/c with small diameter yoke rails that go into the control panel), so we're left with the mount that has the 2 round bases with hole patterns(RAM-B-101U)-- but I believe that would require permanently attaching 1 of the round bases-- something I'm not willing to do...

for anyone that has an iPad or ordered an iPad2 - what HD memory size do you have and do you actually need to run Jepp, foreflight, etc. (no movies, pics, stuff like that)

for anyone that has an iPad or ordered an iPad2 - what HD memory size do you have and do you actually need to run Jepp, foreflight, etc. (no movies, pics, stuff like that)

You wont even come near filling up the 16GB original ipad with such apps.

The only thing that will take up memory is if you download movies.

I'm running out of things to do with my 16G ipad and it still has 12G available. I have N. American Jepp coverage on it and I store foreflight charts as required. I could download all of them and still have tons of room left, I believe. I just don't use foreflight much. I don't use it for music, though, which is the biggest hog (along with movies).

What is everyone using for performance numbers and weight and balance? It is not possible to always have wifi or Internet to connect to a server.

There are references to the advantages of 3G VS. WiFi only ipads in this thread. You stumbled across one of those advantages. Just bite the bullet and get the 3G version, in my opinion. You're losing one of the key functionalities of the ipad if you lack the GPS and the capability of getting data between WiFi availability. for $15/mo it's worth it.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back